Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431505 times)

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #960 on: Dec 17, 2010, 05:31 AM »
This lake is full of 13-15" Walleyes.  I caught a 16" in Oct. and it had 5 - 2" yellows and 2 2"-Perch in its belly.  These fish are not ready to eat with all that food in the lake. 

"Full of 13-15" Walleyes" :cookoo: Good luck catching all them keepers :roflmao:

Going to be another slow year for everyone... that is what happends when u fish out a lake

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #961 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:34 AM »
LOL, agree with you shantytown... 13" to 15" eyes in my mind is not keepers, especially when you can't keep anything under 14"!!!  Heck 14" eyes are a waste of time if your going to keep them, not much meat on them cigars, they need to get up to the 18" length - IMO.  Yep, the lake did get fished out a couple of years ago and fished out big time! Maybe in a couple years in might get back up to a somewhat decent lake, but then again it will more than likely get over fished again and back to what it is like now.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #962 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Close it to all walleye fishing for 2 yrs.  Then put a slot on it or something.  Maybe introduce a forage base of some sorts of shrimp/scuds like they have up in Nd.  Just dredging a lake and calling it good really isnt the answer.  A structureless hole doesnt do to much.  Maybe sink some cribs out there. Theres crappies in the lake they would use them. So many things that could be done.

I agree the lake was fished out also.  They were on a bite where no skill was involved to catch them for a month.  Every end of the lake you could get your limit.  I will agree with SHANTYTOWN for once.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #963 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Its already been said by many people that a slot limit doesnt work.  Just look at Storm Lake, its put out good fish for several years in a row and theres no slot limit there,  oh...wait a minute....

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #964 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:17 PM »
I think everybody is in understanding that Clear Lake had a lot of fishing presser 3 years ago and 70% of the larger fish are gone.  Its those people eating 20" plus fish that killed this lake.  I was at the grade last spring and 2 guys had a 26 and a 28" They caught them on blade baits in 2.5 fow "snagging". >:(  Then they took them home for supper! 

Storm is the hottest lake in the state and I love the slot.   On any given day in the summer you can catch a 25 incher. 

Clear Lake has all kinds of new structure.  The N. shore in the big lake and even the north shore in the little lake have grown a lot of new vegetation. This is a good thing!  That is why the Gills and Perch numbers were way up in the fall netting. 

cribs sound good to me! ;D

If anybody would like to know whats in the lake stop at the local dnr station and they would be more then happy to show you some numbers of the spring netting / fall netting ect....   

Is anybody catching any Yellows yet?? 

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #965 on: Dec 18, 2010, 04:08 AM »
Clear Lake has all kinds of new structure.  The N. shore in the big lake and even the north shore in the little lake have grown a lot of new vegetation. This is a good thing!  That is why the Gills and Perch numbers were way up in the fall netting. 

Right, that's a very encouraging thing, clear lake full of little perch who thought that would ever happen!

They didn't do the dredge just to make a big hole, they did it because that silt was full of phosphorus. Between the dredge and the work in ventura marsh and in the watershed it's already made water clarity impacts as evidenced by the new veg. those scuds they have in SD eat vegitation and need fairly clean water. They exist in the lake (the shrimp/scuds) give them the right conditions and they'll flourish, don't and they won't.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #966 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:36 AM »
You got it Rosonke!  ;D

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #967 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Fished off Macintosh yesterday morning, same ol story marked tons of fish, got them to follow me up but only one taker, a cigar perch!  Permy is about done and itching to smell like fish but this isn't looking too good!

My ole' man & I were jerking yellows from his boat that last warm weather snap (end of Oct. or early Nov. ?? - Can't remember). Anyway, funny but he caught one of the largest perch I have seen in a long time.  It rivaled the jumbo perch in Lake Winni back in the day.  By memory, I'd say it was 12" if not more.  I about crapped.  We were getting the cigar perch on occasion then he got that.  He also got one of the better bluegills I have seen in a while. It was a jumbo gill. One odd day on Clear. I don't recall if I've ever caught a bluegill in that lake. I didn't even know there were gills in that lake.  I don't suppose there are a lot of them.  Is it like the crappie that when you do get them they are decent size?

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #968 on: Dec 19, 2010, 12:43 AM »
Devils Lake Freshwater Shrimp
By: dleier , Fishing Buddy
08/30/2010 1:20 PM
As a child growing up in northwestern North Dakota, seafood was a special treat, to the point that even fish sticks were considered a pretty rare dinner at home..

Thirty-five years ago “fresh” North Dakota seafood came frozen in a box and was usually deep fried. One of my fondest memories of dining out was the occasional trip to the bowling alley in Williston and eating “shrimpos.”

It seems that fish in some North Dakota waters have the same appetite for shrimp, though they are fortunate to have a ready supply every day instead of only on special occasions. Freshwater shrimp are a key part of the aquatic food chain wherever they exist, feeding both large and small fish to a point where they may not show an interest in angler offerings because they aren’t hungry.

North Dakota is home to three freshwater shrimp species, gammarus, hyalella and mysis. The latter is an introduced species stocked in Lake Sakakawea in the early 1970s to add to the forage base. This species never really took off, and if any remain in the reservoir they are not abundant.

While the gammarus in Devils Lake garner much of the freshwater shrimp attention in the state, the smaller hyalella are found in more waters. Both, for certain, are important links in the forage base in those fisheries in which they are found.

Out of all North Dakota waters, Devils Lake is best recognized as home to these half-inch, nearly translucent creatures also known as gammarus, scuds or sideswimmers, which describes the way they propel themselves through the water.

It’s well-known that perch, walleye and pike in Devils Lake are healthy, in fact, that’s probably an understatement. Some anglers may argue that the actual catching of fish on Devils Lake may not rival the health of the fishery, but perhaps that’s to be expected considering the abundance of shrimp and other natural food sources along with a high water volume

In fact, a case of “fish biting on bare hooks” is often a sign of an unhealthy fishery, with hungry fish because of a lack of naturally occurring forage. Think of a trout pond at a sportshow and you’ll better understand the comparison.

Fisheries biologists monitoring Devils Lake game fish say the scud population is high on the list of reasons why the fish of Devils Lake are so healthy. Yellow perch, walleye and other species have little trouble finding and filling their stomachs with freshwater shrimp. While this hearty forage base is competition for the best angler, at the same time the long term viability of the fishery would be difficult to sustain without it.

But what do the shrimp need to survive? Freshwater shrimp are known to feed on all kinds of things. Often these tiny creatures browse on microscopic plants, animals, algae and other organic debris. Shrimp are at the front of the food chain. If a fish dies, freshwater shrimp are right there to turn the decaying flesh into energy that other fish will consume.

The recipe to create and maintain a healthy fishery is intriguing even to a biologist. Every facet is important.

So the next time you hear an angler at a fish cleaning station discussing a belly full of shrimp, it just might be the fish… and not the angler.

Leier is a biologist with the Game and Fish Department. He can be reached by email:  [email protected]

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #969 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:18 AM »

Is anybody catching any Yellows yet?? 

IAEYE,
give me a call i'll show you how to catch them yellows!!

Had lookers most of the day just like everybody else. then found a school of active fish at 4:00 by 4:40 we had 74 yellows on the ice!!!!!!
Sure made up for the prior 7 hours I was out there.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #970 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Well LuckyDog sometimes you just get lucky!!! :P

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #971 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Did good on yellows last night on my first trip out this year.  Vex went dead after 20 minutes so I had to old school finesse 'em.  Caught almost all of them jigging with plastics.  Only got 2 on a dead stick.  I think it will be another great year early on the yellows, walleyes not so much.  I would agree with those posting on closing walleyes for 1 or 2 years.  I doubt the slot would work though.  The lake has way too many people pulling hardbaits and catching dozens of short fish.  The lake is littered with dead short ones after the weekends in the summer.  I don't know the solution, but I don't think the slot will work becuase the fish grow so slowly.  More forage would work, and the shrimp idea is a pretty good one.  Anyway, I figure on eating lots of yellows this winter and don't plan to keep any walleyes, even if I catch keepers.  It seems a little too sinful even for me....
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #972 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Pretty slow tonight.  I got a batch of short walleyes, some were 6" or smaller.  No yellows!  Don't think I've ever fished Clear Lake and not caught a yellow.
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #973 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:56 AM »
Im gonna follow them around next time I come up.  I cant believe they are the only ones catching fish!

Offline dynomax27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #974 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Caught 4 yellows this past weekend.  Marked a few fish but nothing really hitting.

If anyone finds a golds gym duffel bag by Machintosh let me know.  It must have blown off my sled as I was heading out to the lake.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #975 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:57 PM »
It was a slow bite today. 8am to 5pm and we caught 60 Yellows No Eyes.  We marked fish all day but just couldn't get them to go.  The 60 fish we did catch all came in a hour and a half.    Spikes

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #976 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Not the best at posting pictures either :-\ Just would like some proof that we are not as good as ice fisherman as you :P B/c I don't believe it ;D

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #977 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Anyboday who doesn't think slot limits work take a look north of our border. I have personally fished lakes where slot limits have been in place for 10-15-20 years depending on the lake. The fishing is far better then it was before the slot limits. The guys that don't support slot limits, season dates, etc are usually the same ones you see fillet a 26" walleye, **censored** do you think is going to happen when you take the breeding stock out of a body of water.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #978 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Has anybody been to Rice Lake?  I went up today and only marked a few fish.  I had one on but it got off by the hole.  I think it was a tiny crappie. 

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #979 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Anyboday who doesn't think slot limits work take a look north of our border. I have personally fished lakes where slot limits have been in place for 10-15-20 years depending on the lake. The fishing is far better then it was before the slot limits. The guys that don't support slot limits, season dates, etc are usually the same ones you see fillet a 26" walleye, **censored** do you think is going to happen when you take the breeding stock out of a body of water.

:tipup: :tipup: Thank you! All the other people who don't believe in this can fish other lakes

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #980 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Im always willing to help people out for no charge.  I've been fishing Clear Lake for 25 Years so if anybody wants a few tips just ask.  I won't give you my gps but I could help get you on some fish.  My guest don't just come fish with me for a location they come to enjoy a day on the water and learn the lake.  I also spend the day teaching my guest ice fishing technique's. 

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #981 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Don't believe you or IAEYE without any pictures. Lets see them...

Shantytown,

If you read my post correctly, I told you where to see the pics. Just going to the website to view pictures does automatically withdraw $175 from your account!!!!!!

I don't give false reports, my first two posts of the season on page 46, were not steller catches. I let people know the real deal. Their are several people that follow my reports, the ones that matter know my catches are truthfull.

I too share info freely and will help fellow fishermen those who have met me on the lake would agree. Sometimes this turns out to bite me right in the backside :o

Example: Saturday while we were icing the (74 yellows) 2 other fishermen ask if they could move in with us, I welcomed them. Sunday same fishermen pull in with permie and planted it right on top of the group I was with. I know the lake is public argument will be coming after I post ,but this is very ballzy after I tried to help them the night before. Buddy is right I'm too nice this happens every year.

I will be out Weds. looking for new fish.

Has anybody noticed not many reports coming from farmers area? :-\ Might be checking  it out tomm.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #982 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:07 AM »
The DNR does encourage everybody to keep the Yellows.  If not they will become over populated.  ???  I don't think a couple of you understand what a business is.  Guiding is my full time job and if you don't like it that's OK.  Most do! ;D 

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #983 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:09 AM »

there needs to be a slot limit on yellows ???  ???  ???

DID YOU JUST SAY THAT!!!! Are you kidding me?

Alot of the people that hire guides are wanting to fish period. They either don't know how or don't have time in their busy lives to experince what you and I enjoy. These people maybe get to fish a couple times a year  :'( and I want them to have a great time.

I do not hog fish, they are never wasted. Most fish are released ( all walleyes over 18" in my boat), yellows are kept sometimes I have several elderly people and few others that enjoy fresh fish once in a while. This is unlike the person that left 4 yellows on the ice the other day in the little lake, guess it wasn't enough for a meal  >:(.

I never really said that I was mad. I just will move on and find a new spot, always do.

I love this lake been fishing it for 30 yrs. The damage to fish populations (walleyes) came from those fellows who double dip >:(  >:( taking multiple limits in a day and short fish i.e. the couple I watch keep 2 short walleyes at farmers last fall. I wasn't able to stay around till the DNR showed up I do hope they caught them. YES, I called in on them.

About sick of this. If you boys would like to meet sometime we could hash it out over a couple of beers. Maybe we could solve some of the worlds big problems. Good Luck fishing.

I will continue to post fish catches you can choose to believe them or not. I'm good either way.

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #984 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Its gonna take alot more than 74 yellows to make a dent in the population in that lake. A slot limit for them would just throw fuel on the fire man. I dont get why these guys are being ridiculed. The way i interpret it is that they fish with several anglers and combine the total catch.
Sounds like alot of cigars and sub 14inch Eyes are in the Lake, now would be a good time to put a slot on them. More or less its a revolving door, it all comes back around. But a slot would possibly stabilize a solid walleye bite after a few short years. Most would take One keeper Eye to 20 yellows anyday I'd venture to say

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #985 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Right on ScaleHusker, a slot on the 'eyes would do wonders for this lake. On some of the lakes I fish with slot limits somedays its hard to catch a fish under 18" to keep for supper. ;D I'll eat HOTDOGS if I can catch a bunch of 'eyes over 20". Thats a no brainer in my book.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #986 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Wowzers heated discussion in here :o

Think I'll stay out of it and go do some fishing

Offline Chickenfarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #987 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I moved here from IGL area 2 months ago. I am learning more and more about clear lake and the people every day. I am an avid fisherman, favoring Eyes, never have caught aYellow , cant say I have ever seen one. Everything I have ever heard about CL is bad, that the fishing is terrible. I am anxious to find out on my own.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #988 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Caught 109 yellows today. same spot same way thanks.......

Offline big Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #989 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Clear Lake is down but not as bad as others say.  two years ago I caught 10 walleye over 28" in one week with numerous other 2-5 lb fish, of them only one fish was kept by the way.   This was all produced in a lake with no slot limit.  Here is what happened, the inlet at the grade ran continously for two years due to the dredging project all summer long.  Normally it quits flowing in about early to mid June.  This left big walleyes concentrated in a small area, instead of spread throughout the lake for two years straight and very succeptable to overharvest which is what happened.  Regardless of limits, guys were taking home multiple 27-30" fish a day, why the DNR didn't watch it closer I don't know, but my point is that was a temperary problem.  Now that the dredging is over, fish in the upcoming years will spread out and not be up at the grade for every tom, dick, and harry to catch with easy.  The fishing will improve and you will again have those big fish just like before but it's going to take some time, they won't grow overnight.  So, enjoy the other great fishing the lake supports right now, the yellow bass, catfish, and muskie numbers are all very healthy.  If you aren't having success with these, you aren't doing something right.  by the way, go easy on the guides.  I guided part time for about 5 years, it's hard work and you don't make a lot of money.  I admire the guys like Kevan Paul, the guy is pursuing a dream and helping people have fun in the process.  He isn't forcing anyone to pay him and look at his testimonials, they are happy with what they get for their cash.  Keep up the good work Kevan!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.