Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431505 times)

Offline corey2145

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #690 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Hello!

New here and glad I found the site. Im planning to make a very early trip up to Clear Lake tomorrow and a curious about this Little Lake. Is it possible I could get directions from anyone as to how to get there from Des Moines? I'd love to get some quality fishing in.

Mike
go up i 35 exit clear lake take 18 west to ventura. you will hit one stop light on 18 go south at stop light. you will be heading south go to the stop sign take a left. go down the hill and the little lake is on the south side of the road

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #691 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:14 PM »
go up i 35 exit clear lake take 18 west to ventura. you will hit one stop light on 18 go south at stop light. you will be heading south go to the stop sign take a left. go down the hill and the little lake is on the south side of the road
Once you get to the stop sign in Ventura and turn east you can also keep following the road to Mcintosh State park, it's about a mile after you turn. Here is a map of the Little Lake. Mcintosh is the boat ramp on the east side of the lake. There is plenty of parking there and you can walk out to where most of the guys are fishing.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/fishing/lakes/maps/cle17little.pdf

Offline Bflatisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #692 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Thank you both very much.

First time ive gotten solid directions about places to fish on this lake. Unfortunatley no shanty this time out due to slow shipping but ill get to test out my new lx-5 and auger. Hopefully the weather will be forgiving!

Mike

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #693 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Buster,
     I'll take your music over your neighbor's generator anytime. ;D  Also, I like the name for your shanty.  It has that Clark Griswold/Uncle Eddie "crapter$ full" feel to it!
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #694 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I was trying to figure out who had the music jacked up Wednesday night as they we're working to pull off with disregard for everyone around. Lack of ice etiquette really for the civilized folk. Going out and blaring the stereo just contaminates/pollutes the experience for everyone. Wouldn't of been a such a bad thing had it not been so blatant. For those who come from out of the area - who make a trip of it - its just plain impolite. Had it gone on for much longer I may have had to of called a couple of old college wrestling buddies from the area to seek counsel on the spectacle. 

wrestling buddies... Some one had a bad christmas!  :flex: LOL!

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #695 on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:50 AM »
well i run a raido   also    it dont sound load in the shack   but if you get out of it     you can hear it on  the out side     any ways        is the ice up there fit  to drive on   now after   the rain and snow    have all of next week off       nothing eles    the bottle bass bitting   lol      let me know  thanks  roberts

Offline been rippin lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #696 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Ok now that Christmas is over... Buster you gotta be kidding me! The way individuals are stacked up in there off that dock - you want to talk about a 50 ft rule. LMFAO! Man you best be breaking out ur' citation book and be issuing a few. The conditions on Wednesday (wind) warranted the less fortunate individuals in their "portables" to seek a little wind break but who cares about those of lesser stature in their "portables" - right buster. ;) Let me tell you this is IOWA - you may want to consider taking you're family truckster/camper/X-over 30 miles North (dont forget ur buckets) so that you're protected by the one on the books? Bottom line there were several tents/bystanders with in ear shoot of that crappy Raggae music you we're playing - outside of you're so called personal zone that you're trying to enforce who we're effected by the antics. It might be hard for ya buster but how bout cutting the little guys a break... theres plenty of those yellows to be caught a couple of times a day for any one who goes out there and tries their luck. In the end how bout displaying a little consideration by keeping ur' music turned down to a personal level...

Offline been rippin lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #697 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:16 PM »

just cause you don't like raggae music, doesnt make it crappy, I'm not saying, I'm just saying, and wrestling buddies? wow, are we in fifth grade!!!! LOL!

Offline dragscreamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #698 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:22 PM »
went out to the little lake around 10am fished til 5:30 or so caught 1 white bass 10 cigar eyes 1 keeper eye and about 150 yellows not a bad day

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #699 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Dragscreamer.........G lad to hear you picked up a keeper eye...........Its almost like winning the lottery catching one of them over there anymore. :tipup:

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #700 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Hey guys,  This is my first post on this site and wont be the last.  I've been visiting pretty frequently for the last year or so and decided it was time to join yet another great outdoors site and hopefully share/gain some experiences. 

This Friday my brother and I are planning an all day trip to Clear.  We plan on fishing little lake, but really have no clue where to go.  I pulled up the dredging map from the IDNR website, so I have that going for us.  I guess all I'm really looking for is what depth they seem to be staying around and if they're close to the deeper water drop offs or if they've been mostly on the flats.  Sounds like if you find um you're going to have a blast all day long.   Thanks for any info in advance.  And hopefully we'll be talking soon!!

Brushy

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #701 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:33 AM »
so whats the ice like up there now   can i get my pick up  on the ice or not    thinking on comming up wensday   and fish the day away    ?   

Offline Outback

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #702 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Also curious on the ice conditions.  Are people driving on the ice and is there much snow on the ice?  Sounds like the yellows are biting good so may take the 2 hr trek to get up there this week.  Thanks

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #703 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:57 PM »
from what the dnr   said today    ther is  trucks on the small lake      some bad ruts   where  people had got stuck   but with this cold   it should be good to go  i will be up there   in the afternoon my self  bringing life jacket and shoval   lol  and chain

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #704 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Are the yellows biting during the day at all or is it just a early and late thing?

Offline Walleye Buster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #705 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:23 PM »
have anyone fished it latley

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #706 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Are the yellows biting during the day at all or is it just a early and late thing?

Bump

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #707 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:01 AM »
was out last night. got set up about four thirty in twenty two feet didnt mark a fish so moved about 10 yards and found 12 foot of water. once i got the holes all skimmed out and my line down i was instantly marking fish from about five to 8 but the retards had lock jaw last night i threw everything i had at them even my chubby darter that i bought two years ago that i think was my biggest waste of money(in two years have not caught a fish on it) it was crazy all the fish we marked. i did end up catching on white bass and that was the only bite me and my buddy had all night. i am hoping it picks up but the last two days i have been out it has been real slow is every one else experiancing the same thing or am i doing somthing wrong? hope to get the permanent out today ;D

Offline OutdoorMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #708 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Was out there last couple of days, deep water didn't pan out, shallow water we had some schools of yellows come through on a periodic basis, nothing specific for bait yet.

Still looking for the 40+ honey holes though....

It is nice to drive out there now, just watch out for the ruts.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #709 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Drove out there yesterday and was fishing in 17 feet of water took a while to find them but finally did. Caught 30 Yellows in about 15 minutes as fast as I could bring them up the hole. Just need to find them. I might have a rough GPS coordinate if someone wants to send me a PM. This was my first time to clear lake and won't be back for a while as I live in Cedar Rapids area and I just can catch way to many walleye over here to travel all the way up there for the yellows. Good luck guys let me know if you want to know where I was getting them at... I know they move around but it is a good starting point.

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #710 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike. Are they driving Full Size pickups out or just smaller vehicles?

Offline OutdoorMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #711 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike. Are they driving Full Size pickups out or just smaller vehicles?

We had a full sized 3/4 ton out there. It is plenty thick to drive out there.

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #712 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Thanks OutdoorMaster.

Offline justin29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #713 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:13 PM »
heading up there in the morning.  looking for advice on where to start fishing, and what bait is working best for yellows

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #714 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:09 PM »
worst nite out there so far! 0 fish :( tryed a spot a ways away from the billion people....marked a few fish no takers! be out on the lake the next couple days!

Offline OutdoorMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #715 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Caught 30 Yellows in about 15 minutes as fast as I could bring them up the hole. Just need to find them.

You're right, when they come, they come. We had two poles out each initially and we had all we could do to keep bait on the hook of one pole. By the time the lure hit the bottom, you had another yellow. Its nice to see the Marcum lit up like a christmas tree!!

Offline glowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #716 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:31 AM »
went out last nite from 3 to 6 caught 6 big yellows in 10 foot  slow but it was action nothin on dead stick all jiggin thank god for good heater

Offline glowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #717 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:49 AM »
has anybody had any luck on five island lake in emmetsburg wonderin if the walleys and crappies are in the south end or north end and is ice thick enough

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #718 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:37 PM »
The vanilla gorilla and I knocked them dead tonight.  We hauled them up for over an hour straight.  We had 12 over 11" too.  No walleyes though.  I'll try to post pictures later.
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #719 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:42 PM »
how many permanent ice houses are on clear lake? has anyone been fishin up by farmers?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.