The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big Hole lakes  (Read 2580 times)

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Hole lakes
« on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Has anyone fished Mussigbrod, Twin or Miner? Looking at doing something off the wall and getting the sled out and try something new and off the beaten path.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Hole lakes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 05:41 PM »
I've stayed in the USFS cabin at Twin Lakes, and have snowmobiled and backcountry skied in the surrounding area, but have not fished those lakes.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2018, 04:42 AM »
Interesting video from Twin Lakes.....I would love to snowmobile in there some day to give it a try !!

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Great Video, informative.  Thanks for posting!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2018, 04:47 AM »
You're very welcome SLIMMETT !!

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I fished those lakes this summer and did well on cutts in Twin lake.  Didnt do good on the others.  Nice video also

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Was there any size to the Cutthroat in Twin Lakes?  Any opportunity to fly fish from shore or a tube?  Thanks in advance!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2018, 12:20 AM »
Fly fishing it from a tube would be a blast & best option in my opinion.....I've always fished it from shore with fly n' bubble/spoons/spinners.....The cutthroat I've caught are typically 10" - 14", but have caught a few in the 16" - 18" range (green sinking nymphs).....For those interested in fishing those lakes in the Wisdom area, don't rule out Pintler Lake which is east of Mussigbrod.....It's probably my favorite in that area to fish.....It has the small Grayling/Brook Trout & holds Ling like Mussigbrod, but also has some very good sized Rainbows !!

Maybe Strippnthedream will chime in on this thread.....I think he grew up in the Wisdom area !!

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:08 AM »
That's awesome, thanks for all the info! Heard back from the regional biologist when I asked him about that string of lakr and he stated that the ling population in Miner crashed about 4 years ago. Didnt even know there were any in there.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2018, 09:54 PM »
@ titan666 - Did you ever do that something off the wall & try the hardwater on any of those Big Hole lakes ??

Offline firestarter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Sorry for the late reply...it's been a few years but I've fished Mussigbrod for Ling thru the ice. Snowmobile in during daylight set up and be ready for the bite after dark. Done it 3 or 4 times and never been skunked...

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Good info firestarter.....Just curious.....Do live out there in that area ??

Offline firestarter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2018, 11:25 AM »
SpitzoMT, sort of, I'm in Darby so it's not a long commute to any of the Bighole lakes...

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Gotcha.....Well then, since you're in Darby let me ask you this one.....Have you ever hit the hardwater on that Painted Rocks Reservoir ?? Never ever been there before & have always wondered about it.....Take care !!

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2018, 02:08 AM »
Was there any size to the Cutthroat in Twin Lakes?  Any opportunity to fly fish from shore or a tube?  Thanks in advance!

Sorry for late reply just saw your question, hope your still on.  They were about 12-15".  You can fish from shore, but its real nice to go on a tube and really cover some area. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.