Author Topic: Triggering Bites  (Read 2328 times)

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
Triggering Bites
« on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:23 PM »
THis weekend we saw a ton of walleye while jigging but we had problems getting them to bite.  We where using jigging Rapalas and Swedish Pimples.  My friend got one when he put a live minnow down on a plain hook.  Anyone got any tips on how to get them to take the bait once they are there.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
Re: Triggering Bites
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Raise the hook and bait just above the fish and jig it . This triggers there strike instinct hard for them not to hit it. They think it is leaving and walleye never give up a easy meal.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:18 PM »
I've had days where I watched 25-20 walleye come in to my presentation and do nothing more than nose it.  Some times they just don't feel like eating.
Follow the bubbles...

walleyechaser

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:55 PM »
I've had days where I watched 25-20 walleye come in to my presentation and do nothing more than nose it.  Some times they just don't feel like eating.

Gee this sounds eerily similiar to my ice fishing season so far.  Pretty frustrating when you see schools of 6lb plus fish come in on the camera and none of them bite. 

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:18 PM »
The Jigging Raps and Pimples were too aggressive of a lure for those negitive walleyes. The minnow on a plain hook looked to be the key. Here in Mn we are allowed 2 lines in the winter......... I mostly fish in a shelter.... my 1st rig out is my deadstick. Red hook, red bead, and 1 or 2 small split shot, anywhere from 4" to 16" away. I usually use a Fathead minnow on this rig cuz they are pretty lively. Second rig is my active rod. I usually have a small black swivel snap on this to change lures quickly. I start aggressive (lures mentioned earlier) and let the fish dictate.
In the situation mentioned, did any of the fish rise or chase your lure but not bite? Then try same lure in the next size smaller. If not try different colors. Then go to different action lures..... different shaped spoons fall and vibrate differently. This rig I bait with a frozen Shiner head (smell is key). This rig rarely stops moving with the response (or lack of) of the fish let me know how to jig.
When fishing with my buddy we have a routine down as to lure/color selection that gets us dialed in pretty quick.
One thing I have found is that if the fish are following and still not biting...... let the jig get to the bottom and thump it.... then pull the jig right back up to or slightly higher and hold it there. Do this as fast as you can. Then hang on. :)
Just my 2 cents..... Good Luck!

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:25 PM »
they did rise and look at my lure a couple of times.  next time i will use the smaller size when that happens.  Also do you recommend having a lot of varations of colors like green, chartruese,  and yellow or just some natural colors and then some flourescent colors. thanks

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:26 PM »
Color seems to vary from lake to lake.
I have mostly silver and gold colored lures. Plus some "change-up" colors. I've also have different brands of spoons because they all fall/vibrate differently. Then there are the ones that rattle, glow or any combination.
I just laugh at myself...... when I first started ice fishing my tackle consisted 2 pimples, afew hooks and some split shot that fit in a Cecrets tin. Now I carry enough stuff for 2 guys plus. The heck of it is, that everyone of my lures has caught something...Me! :D ;D

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2007, 01:22 PM »
LIKE YOU SAID ABOUT YOUR FRIEND. I USUALLY DEAD STICK OR PRETTY CLOSE TO DEAD STICK A MILLOW JUST OFF THE BOTTOM ON A PLAIN HOOK. IF THAT DOESNT WORK WHEN THERE CRUISIN BELOW YOU TRY PUTTING A NEW MINNOW ON THE HOOK THAT IS STILL ALIVE/MOVING AND THEN DROP IT DOWN. THIS ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME. GOOD LUCK KEEP US POSTED!!!

~FISHSTALKER

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:53 PM »
well i went walleye fishing again and only caught fish on jigging lures but i never tried any other technique.  We were fishing on a river and I wasn't exactly sure how to rig up a live minnow in the current so i stuck to the jigging raps and pimples and we caught over 30 fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.