Author Topic: Alewive lakes  (Read 2151 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Alewive lakes
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:23 PM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering what you walleye guys that fish lakes that have a moderatly large amounts of alewives? what hints can you give me? i fish one and it is so hard to get a walleye, i kno use the color silver in alot of your tackle, and that in the winter alewives go to deeper/warmer water, so any help would be appreciated.

-Evan

Offline walleye851

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Alewive lakes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2007, 07:33 PM »
we fish a lake that the primary forage is alwives.  We have not been able to ice any eyes yet in the witner but can regulary take them during the summer.  We have seen a few guys get them near us.  They rely strictly on blade baits like the heddon sonar and simualr vibration type lures. 
"fish on"

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Alewive lakes
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2007, 04:02 PM »
I fish a lake that is exactly like yours. Catches are sometimes hard to come by because there is such a large forage base, but when you do the fish average 4 to 6 lbs. The best tactic that I found for lakes with alewives is to use smaller bait. The alewives were 4-7” so I used the same size shiner, that was a mistake. Then one day I was setting up for perch with fathead and small minnows and had 3 walleyes all over four pounds. Also the lake has large weed growths in the summer and the water has a slight green tint to it and found that firetiger pattern works really well better than silver or gold.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.