The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike---Salmon or seeley?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline mtjj

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike---Salmon or seeley?
« on: Dec 01, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Hello all
I am interested in trying to catch pike on ice this year. have never attempted it. was wonder which lake is best of the two? also if your willing some general guidance on the lakes. hope everyone has a great year and stays safe!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Pike---Salmon or seeley?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Neither are good despite what FB says. Id look at any place other than these two places. What direction are you coming from?

Offline mtjj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2022, 04:28 PM »
wow really? coming from Helena.

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2022, 04:37 PM »
you would  be better served by going  north of great falls.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Oh man, you are in a tough location to get to decent pike fishing. Flathead valley and Clark Fork corridor  is a long haul for you. I know I would never drive that far to fish Seeley or Salmon. I have a hard time recommending one over the other. Even on a good day 2-3 flags is a lot for either of those places, especially since you can only have a couple tip ups out. Seeley usually kicks out one or two big fish but its no Noxon or Tiber or Peck. Salmon gets hammered and not much goes back down the hole there even though both lakes have consumption warnings

Gotta agree with MT-Mike.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2022, 06:10 PM »
you would  be better served by going  north of great falls.

This.  I would guess Pishkin or Frances are about the same distance from Helena.

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2022, 06:45 AM »
both can be a good

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2022, 08:19 AM »
Tiber is another good place to target pike. Need to be cautious as the gas pockets make for bad ice
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2022, 08:25 AM »
of the two..Seeley imo...ice is always safer that direction before north gets solid. :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline mtjj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2022, 09:51 AM »
thanks for the info guys. maybe I will head to pishkun instead. good luck this year to everyone!

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2022, 10:05 AM »
I'd do Tiber.  Decent numbers, chance at big fish, and chance at walleye if you run smaller baits.  Plus you can use live minnows and run 6 lines.  West side is only 2 lines per person...

Offline Hard_Water_Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2022, 01:58 PM »
Hell, if you want to find some pike close to home, just go out to the Hauser Arm (Causeway area). They are being caught out there on the regular by dudes trying to target Walleye. I had one come bite me off just this last weekend.
My fishing policy is "Don't ask, Don't Tell". As in don't ask where I fish, because I probably wont tell you.

Offline mtjj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Thats interesting. have been out there the last couple of weekends also. im looking for a better population of pike to fish. I'm not to sure there are very many in Hauser.

Offline Kd_fish406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:26 PM »
I have had better luck on salmon but neither lake is what I would call good pike fishing. If you do want to try either on one them both seem to be the best for pike around the north end inlets.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Thats interesting. have been out there the last couple of weekends also. im looking for a better population of pike to fish. I'm not to sure there are very many in Hauser.

I know there are supposed to be a bunch of smaller ones above Toston dam, that is probably the source of most of the pike in canyon ferry. The ice is probably pretty dicey with the current but if it's cold enough you might be able to find some safe ice...  I'd just do a drive up north.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2022, 03:26 PM »
I know there are supposed to be a bunch of smaller ones above Toston dam, that is probably the source of most of the pike in canyon ferry. The ice is probably pretty dicey with the current but if it's cold enough you might be able to find some safe ice...  I'd just do a drive up north.
they wiped em out above the damn with electro shocking,very few left.
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.