New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New Pike rigs under tip ups  (Read 5211 times)

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
New Pike rigs under tip ups
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Here are the new Pike rigs I made this week, they worked really well yesterday as we iced a dozen pike or more and a few Bass.  I am makin some more as we speak to send to my brother in CT to try on Bantam and east twin. They seem to make a difference for sure.  I switched from Floro on some to 20lb Cabelas Root Beer Pro line, some I am runin the trabs and some the singles. Always exparamenting trying to find the magic.  Good luck all

I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline bluefingers

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Pike rigs under tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Never had much luck with  jewelery on the line but those look like they will get some attention.Good luck.Hope you repost your outcome.

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Great. thanks for the pics. I was wondering how people rig them up with the beads and spinners. Thinking about trying it on a few tip ups but not sure yet.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:16 PM »
I have a few that are rigged up that way and more times than not it pays off big.  Nice looking rigs & keep hammering them
;

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I usually rig four up like this and then rig up some more with singles and #6 or 8 Owners with 18" Floro incase theres slabs, eyes or jumbos around, depends where I am fishing how many of each I set out.  Setting a Pike rig about 6'-10' on each side of my shanty seems to keep the fish there more often and the pike entertained away from my jigin holes!!

Offline mowi001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Jim,
  Thanks for all the help Tuesday, thanks for the pic! I will be back Thursday am early. Will be fishing all day
hope to see you out there.
                          Bill

Offline fishingypsie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I FISH WHEN I WANT TO AND WORK WHEN IM FORCED TO
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:14 PM »
i gotta say nice rigs but i always use 2 treble hooks!  u lose alot less fish      if u only have one hook and the fish grabs the head or tail and u start to pull u will pull the hook out of the bait fish!!
\\\"dont just fish, FISH!\\\"

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Never had much luck with  jewelery on the line but those look like they will get some attention.Good luck.Hope you repost your outcome.

Serious Pike Bling  8)

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:10 PM »
I have used rigs like that and have had good luck. I have also just used the larger red beads with a small stinger hook and did well.I guess as usual it all depends on their mood.

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Those look sick bro!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:07 AM »
I like that. Are those bright greenish yellow beeds glow beeds? Id like to try it.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:33 AM »
I usually put bling on half of my sets and typically get more strike on thh bling sets, even just a single red bead tends to catch way more than plain hook sets
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Mr.Wooleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Nice rigs... Do you ever try them for walleyes ??

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:13 PM »
i like the rigs, but I would take a scientific angle on the experimenting...have at least one "control" rig...I would spool at least one of your tip ups with just a plain flouro leader and one treble hook...see how that does compared to the other rigs. 

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Looks great, being new to ice fishing, could you explain how that is set up? you bait these? I know the basic tip up set up with bait, how do you rig that up, thanks

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Looks great, being new to ice fishing, could you explain how that is set up? you bait these? I know the basic tip up set up with bait, how do you rig that up, thanks
I run my line to a spro barrel, then run 22" of rootbeer Cabelas pro to a #4-sx Owner stinger treb.  From there I put the bigest sucker, Pike shiner or dead bait I can get on them.  Depending on where I fish and what specieses is lurkin I also run 15lb Floro to #4 or #8 2x Owner Singles so I have the chance to hook into Eyes, big Jumbos.  I dont loose many rigs or fish not running steel, I dont like it because it stiffens things up to much, thats my opinion anyway.  If I am fishing Renshaw I run the Trebs but if I fish up Black or the St Lawrence I will run some Floro with a bit smaller baits mixed in with the heavy flash Pike Rigs.  I bought out a bunch of spiners from a tackle shop in Ct that was going out of business so I cut them up and use the beads and blades, Colorado blades work well also.  THe beads are a mix of glow, Lime green, silver and gold.  I run a micro shot 2.5" up from the treb or single so the spinner doesnt hit on the sucker or shinnwer.

Offline TomPico

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is just a chemical reaction
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:45 PM »
are you tying your hook direct to the line or is there a swivel there?

Offline Dmyerswny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Almost like a crawler harness with the blades and beads at least...

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:48 AM »
caught this 33'' pig on a dixie spinner & minnow..... because of this topic I tried it... :tipup:  8)

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:50 AM »
are you tying your hook direct to the line or is there a swivel there?
YEs I tie directly to the trebble, no swivel.  On one of the rigs I used light wire (this rig I run the biggest sucker I can get) and used the crimp to set it.  A few inches up the line or wire I put a micro shot on the line, this keeps the beads and blades from falling to the knot and breaking or fraying.  It also keeps the blade from hitting the bait as the sucker or small perch, gill, red nosed dace, whatever swims freely.I dont like useing the wire as I can get eyes, bass, and even an occassional steelie on some of the lighter rigs.

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:53 AM »
caught this 33'' pig on a dixie spinner & minnow..... because of this topic I tried it... :tipup:  8)

(Image removed from quote.)
That is awsome, really nice fish!!  I find I get better quality and larger fish on the tip-ups that I rig with these rigs!!  Great fishing everyone..  I have a pike tourney to fish this Saturday so I will be putting the newer rigs on the line to try and take first place.  Tight lines all

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:58 AM »
Have been using those for a few years now for pike.  Used to lose all my sounders because pike would hit them sounding holes, gotta vex now.  Got a 14 inch perch on one last weekend.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Great rigs, back in Europe we used to put an egg sinker on the line, keep slabs of frozen filets down below!!! I got a small egg sinker on one of mine, but have not been succesfull yet.

Offline oswegatchieEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:46 AM »
nice rigs. do you guys use trebles if you are releasing fish? i use singles but do miss fish?

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:47 AM »
it may be just me but i use to have spinners on my pike rigs and i seemed to catch more fish but they were smaller, that could be just my poor luck though. I've switched back to plain leader and treble and im catching better fish again.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I do crimp my own leaders as well. try smaller trebles for better hook up. For big baits use a quick strike set up. I like the single hook on the front and treble on the rear. Some of the store bought wuick strikes have the worse hooks ever, way too big and bait damaging/inhibit.
I run beads more than blades. Also red hooks.

Also check out the boa no king titanium leader, great for walters.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.