The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: want to know more about the spear head size and weight  (Read 6026 times)

Offline westt5

• Team IceShanty Regular
i go to college for welding engineering and im thinking about cutting a spear head out on the CNC plasma table (maybe even use stainless steel) but i don't know what thinness of material to use or how heavy I should shoot for or spear tine lengths 

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: want to know more about the spear head size and weight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:35 AM »
Here's a pic of the last one I made to use for some ideas.  I like the tines to be at least 9" long with about 1" 1 1/2" between tines.

I like 5/16" for the tines, adds a little more strength then 1/4", yet will push into a pike a little easier then 3/8".  Put big barbs on it to start as it is easier to trim them down or heat them and bend them in, then it is to add on to them later.  If a spear has an odd number of tines, double barb the center tine.  If you decide to plasma cut a spear, round the sides of the tines real well otherwise after you spear a fish and it starts flopping around, the square corners will tear the hole even bigger and it will be easier for the pike to shake off. 

Here's one sold by http://www.darkhousespearingsupply.com/ that wouild be a good one for a pattern or give you some ideas.

If you build one like this, be careful not to sharpen the shoulder between the tines too much.  I did that once and cut a pike in half when I speared it.  Had to take a file and take the edge off of it.
Hope this helps, best of luck on your project.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Here is one that I took two boughten spear heads, and welded into one. I ground the barbs off, and built my own out of 1/4" flat.
As far as weight goes, you want it heavy enough to go straight and easily spear the fish, but light enough to get the spear stopped before it hits the bottom. I figure between 5 and 7 pounds would do.

"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline westt5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:45 AM »
yep thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.