The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Other than fish, what have you seen through the spearing hole?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was spearing on the Ash River one time and had a river otter swim through. I scared the crap out of me! :o

Also this one time, in the darkhouse, I could just see what part of the back frame and wheel of an old bike. I just happened to look at an angle under the ice and I could see it.

Has anyone seen any treasures under their darkhouse?

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: Other than fish, what have you seen through the spearing hole?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:33 PM »
muskrats and water bugs.  One of the lakes I spear at is full of freshwater shrimp, they swim around then crawl out of the spear hole onto the ice and freeze.  That's all I've seen besides fish and things Ive dropped down the spear hole.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:46 AM »
I have never seen any thing unusual but my uncle has, not his hole but one rite next to him and hears how it went. He was just sitting there and he heard the guy next to him scream out holy sh&%$# and my uncle ran out of his shanty and seen the guy next to him and his dog run out but that wasn't his dog, I guess what had happend is a guy a few holes away had his dog in the shanty with him when a pike come in the dog jumped in after the pike and got lost than it must have swum over to another guys hole and next thing you know you hear some guy freaking out. :D :D :clap:

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:04 PM »
I have never seen any thing unusual but my uncle has, not his hole but one rite next to him and hears how it went. He was just sitting there and he heard the guy next to him scream out holy sh&%$# and my uncle ran out of his shanty and seen the guy next to him and his dog run out but that wasn't his dog, I guess what had happend is a guy a few holes away had his dog in the shanty with him when a pike come in the dog jumped in after the pike and got lost than it must have swum over to another guys hole and next thing you know you hear some guy freaking out. :D :D :clap:
I saw this story in Field and Stream some years back.  It was a Black Lab.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:08 PM »

Thats way too funny ;D

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Thats way too funny ;D
It would about surprise the by golly out of me.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:38 PM »

I gotta say I don't think my uncle made it up that it happend next to him :-\ . But he is 78 and he might have read it and thought he lived it :D :D . But I don't think so, maybe it happend more than once. I hope so any ways other wise some of the marbles might have fell out of his head :cookoo:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:46 PM »
haven't got a spear yet but while i was ice fishing i saw an old mailbox with weeds growing out of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.