The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Darkhouse / Spearing Shanty Plans  (Read 26647 times)

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
Darkhouse / Spearing Shanty Plans
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:49 AM »
I'm looking for plans/ideas for a new spearing shack.  Currently I have a surplus heavy canvas tent that works, but I'm looking for something a little fancier to introduce a friend to spearing. 

Anyone have any ideas or plans to seed this new forum?

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Darkhouse / Spearing Shanty Plans
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:44 AM »
I have one like this. http://www.canvascraftinc.com/northlander.html It is the 6x8. It can fit 2 - 3 people pretty well. I bought the basic kit and put my own floor on. I can lift it in and out of my pick up by myself.

I have a 3x2 spear hole in it. >:D :icefish:
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:04 AM »
I have one like this. http://www.canvascraftinc.com/northlander.html It is the 6x8. It can fit 2 - 3 people pretty well. I bought the basic kit and put my own floor on. I can lift it in and out of my pick up by myself.

I have a 3x2 spear hole in it. >:D :icefish:

I built mine out of 2 by 2, Masonite, and Plywood and its heavy as HE!! but tuff as nails. I dont know what your rules are where you live but I put mine out for 2 months and leave it there and if it  weighed lite enough to put it in the truck by myself it would just blow away, maybe even if I hade it ancored down. So are you thinking of putting out a permanent or a take down shanty ??? .

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:13 AM »
I built mine out of 2 by 2, Masonite, and Plywood and its heavy as HE!! but tuff as nails. I dont know what your rules are where you live but I put mine out for 2 months and leave it there and if it  weighed lite enough to put it in the truck by myself it would just blow away, maybe even if I hade it ancored down. So are you thinking of putting out a permanent or a take down shanty ??? .

I like mine portable. I like to fish several areas that have spearable fish (Pike, Walleye, & Ling) in them. Where I live, we don't have any decent ponds/lakes within 80 miles ,and that is still one in each direction. Mine has stood up to some tough winds, and did good. I use the ice anchors that screw into the ice, and use ratcheting tie down straps on the bottom of the 2 corners in to the wind.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I built a house similar to this design, except for mine is a lot sturdier than this particular one. I I use three polestp hold the front and rear up and one is centered over the hole. I have two old reels hose clamped to the pole; one for a fake decoy and one for the live. I will post some pictures some time.

http://mndarkhouse.org/Tutorials.htm

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:36 PM »
I like mine portable. I like to fish several areas that have spearable fish (Pike, Walleye, & Ling) in them. Where I live, we don't have any decent ponds/lakes within 80 miles ,and that is still one in each direction. Mine has stood up to some tough winds, and did good. I use the ice anchors that screw into the ice, and use ratcheting tie down straps on the bottom of the 2 corners in to the wind.

My portable.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:03 AM »
My portable.
(Image removed from quote.)

Man that is weired to see ice that thick and NO snow cause here in Michigan we have the opposite. We have allot of snow and little ice in most places with allot of green hills but that's just a Michigander talking. Man I would love to have that much ice cause as it is I'm still itching to get out spearing cause I only have 2 3/4" rite now and that doesnt feel safe enough. :'( :'(

Offline Eugene V. Lenarz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:07 AM »
My brother (Minnesota) is looking for plans and for darkening materials to build a darkhouse.  The plastic and canvas that he's found don't darken enough.  I'll forward the notes that I took on your comments but would appreciate advice or suggestions regarding darkening material (and any further plans).  Thank you all.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2008, 07:21 AM »
My brother (Minnesota) is looking for plans and for darkening materials to build a darkhouse.  The plastic and canvas that he's found don't darken enough.  I'll forward the notes that I took on your comments but would appreciate advice or suggestions regarding darkening material (and any further plans).  Thank you all.

If he's anywhere near Long Prairie he can go out to the Amish community and get canvas cut and sewed for his house. That is where I get mine and it is nice stuff. They will even sew on reflectors or install it on the house if you would like. It's the same black canvas that they use on their horse drawn buggies. He could also check out Canvas Craft in Rogers. The dark green canvas from old military tents is very thick and block the light as well. The darker the better , but it doesn't have to be black as night inside to work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.