The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: clam flip style hut for spearing  (Read 3833 times)

Offline BAMF22

• IceShanty Rookie
clam flip style hut for spearing
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Trying to see if anyone uses a flip style hut for spearing?  Mine as a lot of leg room but not sure if it gets dark enough...
I wish I knew how to do this!!

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: clam flip style hut for spearing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 05:39 PM »
If it is one of the insulated ones with the white interior I don't think that it will get dark enough. But I have speared out of the flip/sled style ice houses many times and they have worked just fine except for one time on a very dirty lake and a bright sunny day. On that day I could not see more than 10"-12". So if the interior color is dark you should be fine. Make sure you keep a good set of ice cleats on your boots it gets very slick around the hole after a while.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:30 AM »
the only really good flip over that would be good is the new Clam Voyager X Thermal Stealth model that was introduced this year. It was made for sight fishing but is large enough to spear from too. this doesn't mean that others that are currently out there can't be speared from it just means that the conditions need to be more overcast and not too sunny out for them to work better. for me I got one of the all black Cabela's 360 hub houses to spear out of. it is dark enough for most days.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:22 AM »
I always wondered about it too, so we tried it last year one trip. I have an Otter Cabin insulated. It's not black inside and we had no problem at all seeing. We never had a fish to throw at, but we cut holes from 10' to 20' deep and had no problem seeing. The main thing we learned was to make the hole a little smaller, and put it in the corner opposite of the door! It will definitely be used again on those places where the ice is a little sketchy for the little wheelhouse. I can think of a couple of places on Fort Peck that are loaded with pike that I want to try it on!

Offline BAMF22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:45 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the update.  I will have to try it this year!!
I wish I knew how to do this!!

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:41 PM »
I spear out of a hub, but it seems when taking it down, it is always wet, I have thought of the simplicity of a flip. but I hand a rod from the ceiling of my hub to hold the decoy. I don't know how I would hang it in a flip. I will have to look at some to se where I can hang something

Offline Ryks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:18 AM »
I spear out of a hub, but it seems when taking it down, it is always wet, I have thought of the simplicity of a flip. but I hand a rod from the ceiling of my hub to hold the decoy. I don't know how I would hang it in a flip. I will have to look at some to se where I can hang something

I just put an "S" hook on an old baitcaster and use diaper pins to attach it to the fabric of the shack.  You can easily move the decoy(s) around for different looks. The wind bouncing the shack around also adds a little movement to the decoys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.