Author Topic: Is the amount of snow keeping you from going fishing?  (Read 4407 times)

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
 The amount of snow that the glacier lakes region has gotten this icefishing season  seems to be keeping a lot of fishermen away.  I’m heading back up for my third trip a week from this Friday, but I have had a lot of friends cancel their trips this year.   Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is the amount of snow keeping you from going fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Cancelled my third trip today. Not because of snow on the lakes. It's getting there. Going to try again next week.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Definitely don’t want to be driving north right now!  Hopefully next week the roads will stay clear.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:43 PM »
If you don't have tracks it's a lot of work to fish right now unless you aren't afraid of walking out & use a smitty sled.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:47 PM »
this wind out in areas is awful. I got stuck a week ago just driving on the road to a lake before I even got on the ice. Definitely a tough go out there if you don't have a tracked vehicle or snowmobile.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Been  ice fishing in South Dakota sense 2007. In 2009/10 I was only able to fish one time in late March because of snow on the lakes. Every year sense hasn't been a issue. With the snow this year and my love to chase SD Gold. I picked my 4 wheeler up last Tuesday with a new set of tracks. Hoping they do the trick.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:28 PM »
 Yes, I “ Will be anxious to hear how it works out for you!

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:29 PM »
 Already had the trip planned, took vacation days off from from work seven months ago, me and my 12-year-old are going to be fishing out of a rented ice castle this coming weekend .

Offline dan_sd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:20 AM »
I was up in the Desmet area yesterday and after getting stuck twice I decided to just walk out a short way. Was a zero for me.

Offline dan_sd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Now not only is all this snow making it harder to get out to fish there are getting to be reports of winter kill. Bummer.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Now not only is all this snow making it harder to get out to fish there are getting to be reports of winter kill. Bummer.

Low oxygen levels for sure; not sure if anybody has shown proof of any fish die-offs yet.

Offline dan_sd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Game and parks biologist reported Whitewood, Oakwood , Albert, and said there were more to be tested.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Got out on Waubay saturday,,, Walked out,,,  ice 26" with 12" of hard pack snow on top,,, Fished 4 hours with no biters,,, Lots of lakes plugged shut,,, Yes there may be some winter kill (Hope not),,, But with all snow the water levels will be coming up.... Just can't get out of the deep freeze up here,,, Been awhile since it has been above freezing and with wind it is not nice out,,, Thinking mid to late March for late ice fishing now,,,
majic

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:10 PM »
I fished Waubay April 7th last year, 31 inches of ice still off of buckshot, out in the main basin so your probably right!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.