The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Coldwater Lake 12-11-05  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Coldwater Lake 12-11-05
« on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Let me start by saying there's lots of unsafe ice in the shoals.  Be careful if you go out.  I went with 2 other guys, and we fished on 4 1/2 inches of ice with some slush on top.  I watched two anglers walk side by side without a spud.  We decided to move, and figured it would be safe to follow those tracks they made.  However, I didn't trust it.  So I used the spud bar as we went.  We got about half way down, and the spud went through on one pop!  Couldn't have been more than 1 to 1 1/2 inches there.  It was the same all the way around that area, and no where to pass through.  So we went back to our safe ice.  I'm not sure what those guys were thinking, but I was hoping we wouldn't be doing a rescue today.  They got lucky this time.

Now to the fishing.  We caught rediculous amount between the 3 of us.  I'm guessing 200 or more.  The majority of them were short fish.  Randy & I caught our limit, and Dewey caught 15 keepers.  Randy had 18 crappie, and 7 gills, I had 4 crappie, 6 redear, and 15 gills.  Biggest redear 9 1/2 inches, biggest gill 8 3/4 inches, and the crappies ranged from 9 to 11 inches.  Mixed in were some pike, bullhead, and one small bass that were all released. ;) 

Fished early morning till just before noon.  Caught fish on shinners, mud minnows, spikes, waxworms.  Below are a few photos from the day.

When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Coldwater Lake 12-11-05
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:26 PM »
sounds like you guys had a pretty good day ;D good luck and stay safe ;)

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 06:09 PM »
congrats on a great first day..  good call on carrying that spud, and you ARE pretty lucky you didn't have to help out with a rescue.  Well, how'd they taste?? ;D

Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2005, 06:23 PM »
Do you know if long lake in branch county is frozen yet?

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Haven't eaten them yet, but they be on the menu next Saturday evening. :)

Didn't hear anything about long lake.  Heard they were fishing Bawbeese and Messenger.  Don't know about the other lakes yet.  If I hear anything, I'll pass it along.
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:24 PM »
ok thanks, i should be heading up there somthing soon, and i want to know if its frozen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.