Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1626074 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #18180 on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:45 AM »
Good day cloudy sky but less wind then yesterday last weather report I check has chance of a couple snow squalls tomorrow which may leave my area with a few inches of snow.
Eddie I have not gone to my friend's house yet to see if the shelter will fit .Thanks for reminding me I need to take some diagonal measurements of the GMC's interior and back hatch opening. May you get working inside soon  with the winter weather so far you may work outside until February.
Wallyworld since 2 inches of black ice can support a person I'm guessing some folks figure they will take a chance on ice fishing and have less company doing it. The problem is many of these people don't monitor ice conditions during the day and have trouble getting off the ice or they break through the ice.
Hunts2long May your wife receive good news from all her doctors today. have fun with the house work. Any news on your furnace .
Drifter-016 the rising temperature maybe the start of a heat wave. ;) :whistle:
WS,IW have good fishing trips stay aware of the ice conditions.
IFF any plans to fish soon I know folks have been out on higher elevation waters in your state for a week or more from some videos here on I.S. . Any updates on your store's future the Gander Outdoors in my area has closed.
Tomturkey,Capt.Jim hope all is good with each of you and your families.

Have a safe and good Tuesday. Best to all fishing.
Steve

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #18181 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:11 AM »
It's already warmed up a couple of degrees since I got to work.
Downright balmy now!!!!!   :woot:

Got your shorts on?? :roflmao: :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #18183 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:21 PM »
We'll see 'bout dat!!! My daughter and I are already setting up for a spring walleye trip to Lake Erie!!  :flex: :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18184 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Good evening everyone :bow:

It was a fun day on the ice but unfortunately my back told me I had to leave around 2:30, so I did.

I got to Shamu about 45 minutes before first light. It took a few minutes to get the hole opened up and ice cleaned out. By the time I got my gear inside it was time to sink a jig. I was only fishing for about 10 minutes when the first walleye came in and nailed the Tingler. When i got it topside I was happy to see it was a keeper by about an inch :thumbsup: Some how in the dark my line got wrapped around the rod tip and it took about 10 minutes to get the tangle out :%$#!:

About 40 minutes later I saw a big walleye heading toward the jig. It looked to be about 8 pounds and I was beside myself when it stopped, turned and slowly left. I could watch it about 12 feet outside the hole as it just sat there until eventually leaving ??? You should always carry a pint for times like that ;D

About 10am a 4 pound northern zipped in and hung its self. I was surprised it didn't cut the line and I was able to scoop it up before sending it back down the hole. After that I lost track of all the northerns that would dart in and try to get the jig, I am guessing 10-12 showed up. Somewhere around noon I put a chartreuse Tingler on. I took a picture of it because it was the only one like it in my box. About 10 seconds after sinking it down the hole a northern about 6-7 pounds flew in and clipped the line :%$#!: It was fun playing keep away from all the northens

At 1:20pm a bass busted in the hole and inhaled my bait, that ended my day of fish catching 

Tonight it will drop down to zero with a slight wind. I plan on being back on the ice at the same time looking for that big walleye.

Hope you all have a good night!

WS

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #18185 on: Jan 08, 2020, 03:18 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Happy Hump Day!   ;D     I’ll be spending mine out on the ice today with my son until the winds move in.  :thumbsup:
  It’s fairly calm and 27* on the Hill this am, high of 33. It will be short lived, but might see single digits tonight!

Marv...Congratulations on a successful first trip!!   :clap:  Good luck today coaxing some of those slammer walleyes and pike...thanks for the pictures, awesome!  :thumbsup:
  Drifter...will be keeping our eyes peeled for that weather....glad to have you aboard!!  :thumbsup:  Showed the forecast you posted to a few of the boys yesterday....they were like “ Where the .... is that from!”  :woot: :roflmao:
  H2... hope everything went well with your wife’s appointment’s yesterday!  :thumbsup:
  Wally...if some of that weather creeping down from Drifter makes it here soon, it won’t be too long of a wait for ice!    Will definitely be looking forward to seeing the new boat getting dressed up!   :thumbsup:
  Jeff...hope you and Jon put a hurting on the panfish yesterday...good luck today if heading out!   :thumbsup:
  Steve...believe we’ll be inside sometime next week...hope the measurements work for your shelter!  :thumbsup:

Short on time, but will see if I can post from the lake if anything good happens!   Cawfee’s on...
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18186 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:33 AM »

Good Morning Eddie, ER's,
                              It's 23* here on my hill with snow expected but no enough to worry about. ::)
                              Eddie...…...Have a good day out on the ice with your son. :thumbsup: :flex:
                              Marv...……..It looks like Shamu is the right fit for you, congrats on a good day of fishing. :flex: :thumbsup: :clap:
                              Steve ……..I hope your shelter fits in the GMC and you can get out on the ice soon. :thumbsup:
                             Wally...……..Bet you and Mr. WW are like little kids Christmas morning, you can't wait to get your new boat home. :woot:
                             H2L...………..Are there many out on the ice by you? ???
                            Well yesterday I had a plan to get to the ice early, well we got there and set up by 5:30 and I caught 3 nice Crappie right of the bat.
                    Then the disappeared, hooked a Pike, by that time it got light and the Blue Gills moved in. I was done and tired by 2:30 and ended up with
                    23 Gills and 8 crappie.
                             I hope everyone has a good Wednesday, Hump Day either at work or out on the ice.

IW

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18187 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:57 AM »
Good Morning ER's Nice report IW and WS. Keep up the good work. Stay safe and have a good day. Good luck out there today Eddie.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18188 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:51 AM »
Morning all,

WS......way to go  :icefish: :flex: :thumbsup: :clap:  thanks for sharing your day  ;D

IW.....sounds like you also had a great outing, congrats  :flex: :icefish: :clap: :thumbsup:

Eddie.....good luck this morning, hope the fish are hungry ahead of the winds/snow moving in  ;)2 :icefish:

H2L.....forgot to answer your question, we'll be selling the old boat this spring  :'(

Looking at a cold windy one today thru tomorrow then another stretch of warmth with 2" of rain forecast for the weekend  :wacko:

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18189 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:00 AM »
19* this morning.
WS, sounds like a good start of the season. Sure hope that walleye comes back this morning and wants breakfast.
IW, you also has a good day on the ice. There were 2 groups out off the campsite yesterday and there is only one perm. shanty out on this end. I have heard 8/9 inches of ice. I did see a sled on the ice above the Northville bridge, he must be nuts. With the lake dropping and the current, there can't be good ice everywhere.
Eddie, hope you have a good day on the ice. You are going to miss the State of the State...lol
The wife's appts. went pretty good. Won't hear anything on the blood work until NYC sees it. The dentist started work to replace a tooth that broke off and the ear Dr. wants to put a balloon in her ears. Other than that all is OK....lol. They ALL say "it's all the meds you take."
Have a good day....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18190 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Marv, nice day on the lake bud.

Chilly here this morning with ice fog.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18191 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Good morning some snow earlier which did not amount to anything depending on which weather forecast is correct I will see snow squalls later today or just see colder temperatures move into my area with the ovenight low and windchill being the coldest yet this year. Prayers for our nation and military personal as tensions build with Iran.
Whopper Stopper congratulations on a successful maiden trip in Shamu may that big walleye return today. Also may you find another Tingler spoon in the same size and color.
Eddie have a good day with your son look for ward to a report from the ice.
Ice Wanderer congratulations to you and Jon on a good day catching panfish.
Wallyworld I see from post in the Oneida Lake Die Hearts thread someone is still fishing in the Sylvan beach area.  ::) ::) 
Hunts2long seems extended medication usage leads to other medical problems. may the NYC doctor's be happy with your wife's blood work. Have you made any decision yet on a replacement furnace.
Drifter guess it depends on your location and what the "Normal" temperatures are for this time of year the weather folks on Social media in my area would cal your "chilly" extreme or brutally cold temperatures.

Have a good day .Best to all fishing.
Steve

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18192 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:44 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, 33* here and very sunny. My wife has been sick with a cold for the last few days. She’s seeing her Dr tomorrow. Her blood sugar has been good. She has been eating right. She has bee nice enough to give me her cold. Dr has me tapering off of a med that didn’t help the headache but put me to sleep. Now I’m not sleeping. Seeing the Dr again on Monday and he is supposed to check my spinal fluid.

WallyWorld, Congratulations on the new boat. You’ll catch many fish with that.

Mr Clean, Do you have much snow your way? Our snow is melting happily away.

Drifter, That’s a little chilly.

Hunts2long, Thats good your wife’s appointment went well. You have to wonder if you get sicker because of all the meds everyone takes.

Ice Wanderer, Sounds like it was a good day on the ice yesterday. Hopefully you got out again today.

Mason Eddie, Good luck to you and your son.

Whopper Stopper, Sounds like yesterday was a great day on the ice. Hopefully you get that Walleye today.

Prayers for our men and Women in the Armed Services that they may be safe. I hope everyone has a great day and tight lines to those on the ice. God Blesd
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18193 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:07 PM »

Not a banner day on the ice for me by any means. Yesterday it was +28 and this morning it was -4. The huge temp drop seemed to shut things down.

At 7:55 either a twin or the same walleye showed up. It came zooming right up to the jig, stopped ,turned and left :%$#!: That does it, there will be a war and it will continue tomorrow morning. I have a plan ??? :roflmao: :roflmao:

Other than 1 two pound norther, that was the day.

Hope everyone is having a nice evening :thumbsup: Stay safe.

WS

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18194 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:34 PM »
A tad frosty this evening.  :icefish:

At this point they're calling for it to get cold in the middle of next week!!!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18195 on: Jan 09, 2020, 02:44 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Don’t think we’re going to hit single digits this morning, but it’s 12* at the moment, 15-20mph winds, high of 28 today.

Drifter...I’m at a loss for words with those weather reports, lol...wow!!  :woot:  How thick is the ice on average right now on Great Slave?
  Marv...thanks for the report from the front lines and best of luck with today’s battle!  ;D  :thumbsup: 
  I-45... hope you both get over your illness soon, best wishes sent.   :thumbsup:
  Steve...we had a miserably slow day yesterday....wasn’t much to report, but I did mange one small Splake and a 16” Brown before we left.   :thumbsup:
  Jeff...excellent job on the panfish again!   :clap: :thumbsup:

Keep losing connection again here this morn, but I have a decent story to share from yesterday’s trip....catch up to you all this afternoon!
   Cawfee’s on...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18196 on: Jan 09, 2020, 04:51 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                          It's 3* with some wind, my wind chill gauge says -19* ::)
                          Eddie...…...I can't wait to hear your story, I'm sure it will be a good one. :unsure: Sorry to hear it was a slow day. :o
                          Marv...…….,I hope your plan has a happy ending. I can't wait for this afternoons report. :whistle:
                          Drifter...…..Now that's cold , stay warm sir. :flex:
                          Wally...…….I don't like the forecast for the weekend, if it would only stay what todays temps are for a week. :blink: When is your
                   first ice fishing trip? ???
                          Steve...…...Have you taken your measurements yet, I'm curious to know the results? ???
                          I-45...……..I hope you and your wife can shake your colds. :flex:
                          Today my wife has an appointment with the radiologist, they are going to map out where to treat with the radiation, then we are going
                  run a few errands then I'll take her to lunch.
                          I hope everyone has a good Thursday either at work or out on the ice.

IW

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18197 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:58 AM »
Morning all,

Eddie.....sorry your day was so slow, but at least you got out and avoided the skunk  :clap:

WS.....fingers crossed you wn the battle today  :flex: :icefish: good luck  ;)

IW......thoughts and prayers to MrsIW today  :)  not sure when we'll make it out on some ice, it would help if the temps would stay below freezing for more than a day or two at a time  :-\

IF45.....that nasty cold is making its rounds here also  :pinch:  feel better soon

H2L.....hope NYC is happy with the blood work  :)

Drifter.....bundle up sir  :o :o

Some errands to run today, otherwise not much going on  :blink:

Have a good day at work or play. stay safe.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18198 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:24 AM »
A balmy 8* compared to Drifter's report. We couldn't cope with those kind of temps plus the wind.
Eddie, glad you at least got a couple. I know it got pretty windy in the afternoon up here.
WS, the walleye is on a pattern but it is getting you out there early. One morning it will want breakfast. Good Luck.
Ice-45 hope you are both feeling better.
IW, do you think the warm-up, rain and wind will take its toll on the ice?
Have a good day....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18199 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:29 AM »
Got sticker shock, ordered the Mrs insulin went from $94 to $287.  Thanks Trump.
Bud

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18200 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Good Morning ER's hope all are well. Bud tuff news on the price jump. How the J hawks looking this year? Marv hope the new plan works out today. The goat scored yesterday. 4 rods one with Daiwa reel ( Mini Mite) 2 ugly sticks. one wright McGill Feather lite and a swish rod 7 bucks with 2 other items. I may have lost the mini mite after clean up; I was so close to done when things went south quickly. I still have the parts but will pack away for another day.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18201 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Good morning currently in the mid twenties heading to a high of 32 tomorrow up to fifty with over night low in the forties. Then comes the rain drove by some smaller ponds yesterday pretty much starting over with ice formation.
Drifter you probably have dealt with those low temperatures and wind chills before take the needed precautions to protect yourself and Shatu when outside. I assume you have some type of engine and battery heater on your vehicle so it can be plugged in and hopefully will start when you have to travel.
Eddie sorry it was a slow day at least the striped kitty did not pay you a visit.
Ice Wanderer took measurements yesterday my shelter would not lay flat in the cargo area . If the weather stays warm will go to my friend's home clean the travel cover inspect shelter take measurements of it's broken down and set up size. Then talked with two ice fishing friends and see if either of them is interested in purchasing it from me. I'll be thinking of your wife and you today.
Wallyworld the grocery stores in your area maybe a little crazy today since your area of NY. might see a Wintry mix of weather this weekend.
Hunts2long depending on what type of weather you get from the coming storm your local lakes will be a slushy mess or have several inches of new snow cover.
Icefisher-45 bare ground be me currently only snow left is piles from plows made during a mid December storm. May Mrs.If-45 and you shake the colds fast.
IFF quite the spike in insulin cost hope any insurance you have covers some of the cost increase.
Old Goat nice score on the rods. When are putting an addition onto your home to store all the fishing gear you purchase. ;D
Tom Turkery hope things are good .May you not see any problems from this Winter storm as it moves through Michigan.
Whopper Stopper hope the walleye likes you bait offerings today.

Have a safe and good Thursday. Best to all fishing.
 Steve

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18202 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:39 AM »
It's a dry cold!!!  ::)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18203 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:06 PM »
Mr. C I like to try gear out if I don't like it I have a garage sale. Those camp pads are sold at Walmart if your still thinking about rework on your rod case.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18204 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:01 PM »

The temp started out at +25 and ended up in the mid 30's

Fishing was a lot better today with the rising temps.

I was on duty at 6:45am but I couldn't see down the hole until about 7:40. I rigged up a dead stick off to the side of the big hole with a plain hook and a fat head I had that in place shortly after getting to the house while I got everything else in place.

At 7:55 I was on high alert for the big gal that I have been dreaming about. The clock kept ticking and she never showed :%$#!: Eventually a northern busted in the hole and I just got the jig away before it hit. Being I was rigged for walleyes I didn't want the pike grabbing the bait and stealing it like the other day. After a couple of minutes it took the minnow on the dead stick and #1 was caught and released.

About 9am just as I was having a cookie, I looked down the hole and saw the hog walleye rolling in. She made a stop checking out my jig, then looked over the minnow before hitting the trail and leaving :%$#!:

The rest of the day (until 2:00pm) went about the same with the northern. One would come in, I would lift my jig out of the way and they would grab the dead stick. I never saw anymore walleyes, but I did catch 5 pike, the biggest about 4 pounds. Being the girls don't like pike I put them all back down the hole

Tomorrow the s-i-l is coming with so maybe she will tangle with hog walleye. I stopped on the way home and picked up a few small shiners to see if it has a hankering for those.

Hope you all have an excellent night :thumbsup: Stay safe.

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18205 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Good evening I hope everyone had a good day.
Old Goat thanks for the explanation on why your always searching for and buying fishing gear at bargin prices. Thank you also for the info. on the foam closed cell camping cots/pads.
Whopper Stopper at least your catching fish on your trips. I assume a wire leader or heavy Flurocarbon would change a lure/jigs behavior in the water and turn off the walleye. If legal to use in your state have you given any thought to catching some yellow perch and using the smaller ones as bait on the lure or jig.  May you and your SIL have a good day tomorrow and one of you bring a hog walleye onto the ice. Is it the taste of the pike or the thought of eating one of the tiny Y-bones that turns the girls off some people grind the Northern Pike fillets and make fish patties to prevent problems with the Y-bones others pickle the fish . The pickling solution dissolves the bones when given enough time.

A pleasant,safe and good night to everyone.
 Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18206 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Greetings mr.clean!

The girls have never cared for the taste of pike, I for the most part grew up on it. They like walleye and perch, that's about it, except for pickled herring.

No using perch or parts for bait here, my take is it must work ;D.

I use power pro braid and 5# fluro so the pike teeth snip it off pretty easily.  If I was rigging for pike it would be a much different set up.

Thanks for the good wishes.

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18207 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Steve, that is now the Medicare cost.  Went down when the ACA was first passed.  So that is what she pays now.
Bud

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18208 on: Jan 10, 2020, 02:54 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  25* light winds this am, high of 44 today with some rain showers expected this afternoon.

Wednesday’s trip with my son was a great time. The bite was pretty slow, the weather up in the Caroga Lake area was crazier than both of us, lol, but the time we had together hunkered down in his Eskimo hub for the day was memorable.
   Had all the gear loaded and on the road by 5:30am. Was a little skeptical about ice conditions even though we had some good reports, the spud and picks, throw rope etc.,  I just preferred first daylight on our arrival to head out over our headlights.
  Made one quick stop for some larger sized minnows than I had at a shop in Mayfield, NY...Jim’s Bait Shop. First time there for both of us. As we were just getting out of the truck, another truck pulled in, a flashy good looking rig. A guide called Fish Attractor Guide Service walked in behind us with a pail for bait.
  We had some small talk for a minute and I mentioned to him that I envied his job and please go ahead of us as he was a working man today. We chatted with him and the owner while he got his bait, both passed on some good info and tips, and we admired the fully stocked tackle shop...one of those places you just feel darn good at.  :thumbsup:
  The guide, Brian Hurst, got his bait and chatted with the owner for a minute before we got ours, wished us good luck, and we parted with a handshake of thanks and a smile.
  Steve and I got got our bait and when cashing out, the owner Jim said ....”your bait has been paid for already guys, Brian took care of it for you!”  Talk about being surprised, we were blown away! Thought that was pretty darn special, and one heck of a great experience for us.
  So to Jim and Brian if your reading this, my son and I wish to Thank You both for your kindness, great conversation, and spot on information. That was one of the best worst days fishing we’ve ever had and will speak of for many years to come...Thank You fellas, that was really special.   :clap: :thumbsup:  :bow:

Cawfee’s on...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18209 on: Jan 10, 2020, 03:43 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                                   It's 20* and mostly clear here on my hill. ::)
                                   Eddie...…...That's a great story and you made two new friends.  :clap: :flex: :bow: I'm sorry that your day was slow over there, Jon
                          and I fished Caroga Lake a couple of times and one year going after the Splake. Jon caught one but I didn't have much luck. ???
                                   Marv...……..I hope you and Jen can get that hog Walleye to take the bait today. :thumbsup: :flex:
                                   I have to make this a short post, I'm meeting Jon up on Schroon Lake this morning, time is getting short. I get caught up later.
                                   I hope everyone has a good Friday either at work or out on some ice!

IW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.