The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newer to Wyoming  (Read 553 times)

Offline Transplanted307

• IceShanty Rookie
Newer to Wyoming
« on: Dec 09, 2023, 11:15 PM »
Moved out here 2 years ago from Michigan. Live in Gillette  and have fished keyhole regularly  last winter and desmet a few times.

Just purchased and livescope set up and got on first ice today. Thing is incredible' really enjoy fishing and hunting always looking for people fish with.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Re: Newer to Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2023, 08:01 AM »
Thank god you said Michigan ;)

Glad you’re enjoying yourself here even though I believe the fishing is a far cry from what it is back home!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Transplanted307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2023, 11:16 AM »
Definitely  not the same for panfish. And I got spoiled  the last few years on saginaw river back in Michigan for walleyes.

Since moving out here I've put my first laker on the ice and caught my first brookie through the ice. I've  somewhat found the crappies on keyhole and a few eyes to but miss driving 5 minutes to any of the 8 lakes close by to fish before work.

If anyone wants to know the finer points of finesse fiahing crappies on soft plastics its my favorite. Have about 30 years of hardwater experience. Just message me

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2023, 05:01 PM »
Moved out here 2 years ago from Michigan. Live in Gillette  and have fished keyhole regularly  last winter and desmet a few times.

Just purchased and livescope set up and got on first ice today. Thing is incredible' really enjoy fishing and hunting always looking for people fish with.
Welcome to Iceshanty. I grew up in Michigan in the Downriver area in Wyandotte and
Southgate. I also lived on Grand Lake (near Alpena) and in Alpena for 8 years. My family still has a cottage on Grand Lake that I go back to every year. I've been in Wyoming for 22 years.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2023, 08:15 AM »
Definitely  not the same for panfish. And I got spoiled  the last few years on saginaw river back in Michigan for walleyes.
I also am a Michigander by birth.  You just brought back some very fond memories of driving the family sedan 7 to 8 miles out on the ice in Saginaw Bay for monster perch.  This was in 1961 through 1965.  Lived in Port Austin and fished with a resident of Bay Port.  No GPS back then, but locals always planted strings of small pine trees in the ice and carried 8 foot long 2 X 8 planks to drive across the ice ridges.  Those perch were worth the effort.   ;D

Apologies - didn't mean to highjack the thread.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.