The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fort Peck techniques and how to start  (Read 1608 times)

Offline lukebob

• IceShanty Rookie
Fort Peck techniques and how to start
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm headed to fort peck for the first time in a couple of days with a couple friends. We are either going to go to crooked creek or hell creek and planning on camping on the ice.  I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers on how to rig tip-ups for pike or walleye and also how people jig for them. Also curious about depth, will the fish fluctuate greatly on water depths or do they generally stay in one profile? Any advice would be super super appreciated. I know Canyon Ferry very well so would be willing to trade info if anyone is interested! 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Fort Peck techniques and how to start
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 12:49 PM »
LB - shoot FortPeck1 a PM. He spends as much time there as anyone and is a wealth of knowledge on that lake. Good luck!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:15 PM »
Best bet for day one is to set out all your tipups over a very large expanse of waters. Focus on main lake points and the adjacent structure. Check baits often. If your getting action at a specific location pull your other gear and place it in the producing area. I would vary my sets in depths from 5' out to 30' and set baits within 2' of bottom. I prefer flouro leaders, but Pike get big in peck so may favor wire to limit gear loss. You can buy pre rigged quick strikes in both wire or flouro but you can tie your own with "7 strand" wire. Google quick strikes rigs or search on the YouTube's. Titanium wire is nice, but expensive and tieable 7 strand will work just as well. On your rods jig rattle baits and have a plain jig and minnow or spoon and minnow head if youre getting looks but they aren't commiting. Good luck

Bring binoculars as it's huge water and you will need to cover ground with your traps to zero in on fish.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Use 50 pound 100% fluorocarbon leader on your tipups. Bring extra tipup mainline because you will get wrapped in brush or rocks at some point. Long needle nose, clippers, weigh bag, and camera for quick release of trophy fish.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline lukebob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 11:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies I really appreciate the advice. I'll let you guys know how we do when we get back. Thanks!

Offline Cooter00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:30 PM »
I'm heading that way next week Sunday threw Wednesday I talked to a employee at crooked creek and he said there was 18inches and guys were driving 1 ton trucks on the ice I'm pulling an ice castle and plan on staying on the ice can anything tell me if this is true
Nothing beats a classic!!

Offline lukebob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Cooter00,

I'll let ya know how we do. Glad to hear the ice is looking good.

Offline lukebob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Hey guys,

We got back last night. Ice was good we went 8 miles east and saw no signs of the ice getting thinner. There was definitely a bit of a learning curve! We caught one pike and one sauger. However, after talking to some guys out there I feel with another couple days I could do much better. It's just such a large area its hard to decide where to try fishing! Anyhow thanks again for your advice

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2020, 07:51 AM »
How were the roads getting in? I’m headed to hell creek this weekend for the first time but with all the warm weather I’m worried they are going to be really muddy.
Thanks

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2020, 09:26 AM »
road to hell creek is good.
Watch for chain up signs that Clint puts up as needed.
Have fun, the fishing is awesome.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.