The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lone Pine Reservoirs  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
Lone Pine Reservoirs
« on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Has anyone fished Lone Pine Reservoir (also known as Dry Creek Reservoir), near Hot Springs, in the last few years? I used to fish the "lower" reservoir and catch tons of small pike. I then heard they drained the lower, so I went to the "upper" reservoir and caught a bunch of small pike there. I have since heard they have drained the upper as well. Does anyone know if either reservoir has water and/or pike? I hate to do the drive to find an empty lake. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lone Pine Reservoirs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:46 PM »
I used to fish it too - back in the 70's and early 80's.

Last time I was by there was maybe 4-5 years ago.  We went to see if it might be a place to find geese.  There were plenty of geese, all out in the middle of the mudflat that used to be be the lower Dry Fork reservoir.  I was told that there was a 2 year project to repair the dam. 

I have not been back since.  I think I read somewhere that people were catching smaller pike again, but that it is not managed as a fishery so the water level fluctuates depending on the demand for irrigation water in the area.

I've never been to the upper reservoir.

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:30 PM »
According to the google there are a couple of dog breeders on the east side of Dry Fork. You could get a phone number off their websites and see if they know anything.

Ken..........

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:02 PM »
Upper is fishable, pike and bullhead for the most part.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:54 AM »
As a side note, has anyone ever caught pike with any size out of there? I've probably seen 200 pike taken out of those reservoirs over the years and I think the biggest was maybe 3 pounds. I've always assumed some of those little ones would grow up, but Im yet to see it.

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:43 PM »
i have never seen anything of size at all, lots of small pike much like at dog/rainbow lake. great place to just get kids out to catch fish but if your wanting bigger pike over that 3-4 pound size this def isnt the place. action is usually heavy and fast but small fish

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:09 AM »
i have never seen anything of size at all, lots of small pike much like at dog/rainbow lake. great place to just get kids out to catch fish but if your wanting bigger pike over that 3-4 pound size this def isnt the place. action is usually heavy and fast but small fish

That's been my experience as well. I am planning to bring my kids there soon. I really appreciate the info!

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:36 AM »
That's been my experience as well. I am planning to bring my kids there soon. I really appreciate the info!

any time, smaller cut bait on the tip ups works well for me, as well as just a standard spoon tipped with smelt chunk.

Offline Dickrichie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • rippin lips
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Yes there was size to pike and perch in the upper lake. Until They drained it. was one of the better hidden lakes up until 2017. Game warden didn’t even know there was fish in the upper lake until he came out and checked my friend and I in 2016.

Lets go rip some lips

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 11:06 PM »
Little tiny pond/lake that was bound to never survive...if it wasn't for the draining it was because people can't help but post braggart pictures and flap loose lips online. ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.