Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Rathbun  (Read 2920 times)

Offline eye53

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Rathbun
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:46 AM »
 ???Is there anyone that can give a report on ice conditions on the lake?
Thanks

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Rathbun
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:58 PM »
My advice is to call the hatchery 641 647 2406

I will share my info from the calls I've made to the bait shops and such. 

I'm told.........

about 98% ice cover. 

6-8 at honey creek and buck

guys have been out at S. Fork, don't have  a report though.

7" at Bridgview and guys are getting into the craps in the sticks.

That was from the weekend

Offline eye53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:23 AM »
:)Thanks, Bellyup will info. and number to good use.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:50 AM »
eye, have you been down there yet?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2005, 12:39 PM »
Talked to a guy today who said they've been fishing for 3 weeks there now.  Some bad spots and open water to look out for but they've been picking up eyes at night and been sitting on 6-7".   Even been running the 4 wheeler on it!   Also said the craps haven't really moved up into the sticks yet, and they've been having a little trouble locating them lately.  Some 12's here and there but none of the big pigs yet like last year. 

Might have to go see for myself this weekend.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Again, same guys still picking up eyes at night.  Getting around is pretty tough down there though and a spud bar is a must!

Heard the craps were going good yesterday afternoon and the eyes at night.  Just be careful!!!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Pretty slow at Rathbun this weekend.  Must of been too cold for the fisherman, not a whole lot of people out there.  Can add one thing, the fish haven't moved up into the sticks above Bridgeview.  Managed a few fish, just wasn't the hammering I was expecting.  Did notice the craps might be running a little smaller this year.  Threw back everything less than 9".  Usually don't run into those small guys down there.

Did anyone else make it out down there?

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:15 PM »
I made it down to Rathbun on Saturday. In fact, are you the guy I talked to saturday afternoon. We were the only ones fishing in the area north of Bridgeview. We had a fish trap and a cabella's tent. We stayed out there until around 8 PM. Like you said, the Crappies we caught were mainly less than 9 inches. We did manage to get 7 around 12-13 inches. Marked a lot of fish, but it was really SLOW! We went to 3-mile yesterday, and I posted our results on the 3-mile thread.
Chad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2005, 02:13 PM »
That would of been me Chad.  Good to sort of meet you again, lol.  It was just kind of a tough day there on Sat.  I took 27 home, nothing in the 12-13 range, mine were all in the 9-11 1/2".  I had heard from several others that day, nobody was doing a whole heck of a lot.  I'm kind of thinking it will heat up soon though!!  If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

How bout you shoot me a PM next time you're coming over and we'll meet up again.  I can show you a couple different areas too.  More than willing to help a fellow Shanty member.  There's also a couple other bodies of water worth fishing around the area too. 

How long of a drive is it for ya?

Ryan

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Thanks Ryan, I will look forward to hearing from you. I also think that area we were fishing will turn on real soon. If it happens, let me know. My father-in-law and I will be there. I got a report that the ice is safe at Glen Elder, KS. We are heading there tomorrow for a couple of days. Keep in touch.
Chad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:46 AM »

Anyone been down there lately?  Any reports?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.