Author Topic: New to pike fishing  (Read 891 times)

Offline morbid7980

• IceShanty Rookie
New to pike fishing
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Hey guys I have been ice fishing for a long time but I have never Iced a pike and its on my list to do this year.  To tell you the truht I have never cought a Pike at all and don't even know where to start.  So if you can give me any ideas for lures or jig technics or what info I would be in your dept.

THanks

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to pike fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:40 PM »
I've caught quite a few in open water, and a couple by accident through the ice, but I too would like to hear what some more experienced pike anglers have to say..?

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:08 AM »
First you must identify a lake that has a good population of healthy pike, you simply won't have the best time on a lake with low numbers. You will usually want to identify structure that will be a good place to start, like weed edges early on. The most common on ice methods here are spearing or using tip-ups, and of course on anything else because they will bite on everything! I haven't tried spearing but I hear it is really fun and is on my to do list, just kind of expensive at first. I mainly use tip-ups, and will use shiners or suckers under a tip-up. They cruise all over the water column under the ice, sometimes even right under the ice so you will have to experiment. You will have to check your state game regulations on what is acceptable for bait and bait size and hooks allowed, but I am using more quick strike rigs as they are gaining popularity as a 'safer' lure to use if you are releasing your fish. I like to make my own setups as well using beads or spinners just to add some flash. Here is one that I made Its a rather simple way of fishing and can be fun with friends. There are a few ice rods out that are good for jigging larger lures like airplane jigs or bucktail jigs, however I have caught many pike on my lighter panfish rods with waxworms or crappie minnows. I caught this 27" one on 3lb test with a Lindy frostee spoon/wax worms. Like I said, they will bite on anything.

Offline morbid7980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.