Author Topic: @ The Cabin 2020/2021 Edition  (Read 185753 times)

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: @ The Cabin 2019/2020 Edition
« Reply #960 on: Aug 30, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Dave, when you selected the stove, did you do any calculation of cabin volume vs. heat output, etc?

Looking forward to the report.

Steve the stove is rated for up to 2,000 square feet. My place is quite a bit smaller than that. It's taking the chill of on low with minimal ceiling insulation so it should be great when it's all insulated.

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #961 on: Aug 30, 2019, 11:09 PM »
I'm interested in knowing the BTU rating of your stove.  It must be extremely efficient with how the outlet is zigzagged, definitely minimal heat loss up the chimney with that design.

Just under 60,000 BTU Chris.

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #962 on: Sep 02, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Finished off the fresh air supply for the stove.
Got to do some testing out and it draws perfectly!!!
Need to try some different pellets as the one's I have are softwood pellets and they don't burn hot enough for my liking.
They also produce too much ash which impedes the quality of the burn.

Got the stand pipes for the sprinklers installed as well.
There's one at each end of the roof.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #963 on: Sep 02, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I wonder how much hotter the hard wood pellets are going to burn compared to the soft wood pellets.  Also curious as to how long before you have to refill the hopper. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #964 on: Sep 03, 2019, 06:10 AM »
Looks great Dave.
Hard wood pellets will burn better.
We use to sell a brand from Canada but no longer can get..  It is called Ambience,  Valfei super premium pellets..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #965 on: Sep 03, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Looks great Dave.
Hard wood pellets will burn better.
We use to sell a brand from Canada but no longer can get..  It is called Ambience,  Valfei super premium pellets..

x2 on the hardwood. Significantly more heat than the blends

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #966 on: Sep 04, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I talked to my buddy in Alaska who was running one of these in his mom's old place and he says he was running the hardwood pellets too.
I'm having to add a 40# bag per day which is pretty damn good.
The high ash content of the pellets I have sucks though.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #967 on: Sep 05, 2019, 01:44 PM »
I talked to my buddy in Alaska who was running one of these in his mom's old place and he says he was running the hardwood pellets too.
I'm having to add a 40# bag per day which is pretty damn good.
The high ash content of the pellets I have sucks though.

what is the cost of pellets up there? hardwood would be $4-5/40lb bag

Catchin' Fish

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #968 on: Sep 05, 2019, 07:36 PM »
what is the cost of pellets up there? hardwood would be $4-5/40lb bag

The softwood ones I got work out to $3.80  a bag US
The 5 bags of hardwood pellets I bought to try today were $5.21 US a bag
Once I figure out what pellets work the best I'm sure I can get a better price in bulk.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #969 on: Sep 06, 2019, 07:57 AM »
The few people that I know who burn the pellets buy them by the ton and it ends up being a good amount cheaper for them.  When the pellet stoves first came out it was on the news that dealers ran out of pellets because the companies didn't make enough but I haven't heard anything like that since.  Probably the biggest pain for you with the stove is going to be hauling the bags up to the cabin and getting rid of the ashes but that's a small price to pay for decently cheap heat.

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #970 on: Sep 06, 2019, 10:07 AM »
The few people that I know who burn the pellets buy them by the ton and it ends up being a good amount cheaper for them.  When the pellet stoves first came out it was on the news that dealers ran out of pellets because the companies didn't make enough but I haven't heard anything like that since.  Probably the biggest pain for you with the stove is going to be hauling the bags up to the cabin and getting rid of the ashes but that's a small price to pay for decently cheap heat.

It's no issue getting the pellets up there if you haul in the winter. ;)
This weekend I'll have to lug them up the hill by hand.
The skid of softwood pellets I got for $350 CAD off my landlord here in town.
Went to Canadian Tire yesterday and they actually have 3 different types of hardwood pellets.
Don't know if they give a bulk discount though. I will have to see.

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #971 on: Sep 07, 2019, 05:51 PM »
I'm interested in knowing the BTU rating of your stove.  It must be extremely efficient with how the outlet is zigzagged, definitely minimal heat loss up the chimney with that design.

Just under 60,000 Chris.

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #972 on: Sep 10, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Forgot to post that I went out last weekend but didn't get too much accomplished.
Woke up Saturday morning with a bad migraine which didn't let up until mid afternoon.
At 3:30 I got going and managed to get my plumbing vent installed and got some holes drilled in the last headers that need to be spray foamed. Also got my scaffolding assembled so I can do the spray foam and insulate the vaulted ceiling.
Sunday I moved about 2,000#'s of cedar from the kitchen to the loft.
That was about all.

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #973 on: Sep 15, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Good weekend @ the cabin.
Here's a good pic of my plumbing vent (capped off until the rest of the plumbing is in) and the rear standpipe for my sprinkler.

Got the service entrance for my solar panel wiring installed.
The conduit runs all the way to the basement.  :)

Still need to install the flashing on the roof.
My supplier was closed for inventory most of last week.

Finished the spray foam work on the rest of the window headers and got some wiring and more wall insulation done.
I now have lights in the entrance, bedroom and washroom. :)

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #974 on: Sep 16, 2019, 05:58 PM »
keep the pics coming

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #975 on: Sep 16, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Looking good! What did you use for piping in the walls for the sprinkler system on the roof? Working on a job I Did not install today for an outdoor horse riding area and the exposed galvanized is fine to the sprinkler heads,but the black iron nipple adapter is taking a beating after only 2 years. Changing out all the 3 inch PVC fittings as the guy used waste, not pressure PVC fittings for the installation, now leaking. Keep up the good work!

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #976 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:15 PM »
Looking good! What did you use for piping in the walls for the sprinkler system on the roof? Working on a job I Did not install today for an outdoor horse riding area and the exposed galvanized is fine to the sprinkler heads,but the black iron nipple adapter is taking a beating after only 2 years. Changing out all the 3 inch PVC fittings as the guy used waste, not pressure PVC fittings for the installation, now leaking. Keep up the good work!

2" galvanized pipe 24" long to galvanized 2" to 1 1/4" reducer.
On the inside it's 2" pressure pipe PVC all the way to the inlet from the pump where it transitions to 2" galvanized through the wall. Fittings are all schedule 40 PVC.  Here it is running down from the attic. The ABS is plumbing venting from the bathroom.

I'm not a plumber, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #977 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Thank you for the update and photos. Like other I.S. members enjoy watching your cabin build progress over the past few years.
 Steve

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #978 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Got out to the cabin again this weekend.
Installed the flashing on the service entrance as well as a different flashing on the stove pipe.
Was a bit of a pain due to the weather. Was blowing pretty good Friday so I didn't head out until Saturday Morning.
Not long after getting there the wind and rain started again. It was supposed to be in the low 60's and sunny today. Well that never happened. It was in the low 50's when I left at 2:30. And it rained on and off.

Got a bunch more wiring and installation of the insulation stops on the South roof.
Waited for the rain to stop and headed home only to have my motor quit 500 yards from the dock.  >:(
Neighbour was just leaving so I got a tow.
I think it maybe water in the gas but won't know until next week when I look at the motor.
Was going to take next week off to work on the truck anyway, but now I have to fix the boat too.

Next weekend will be the first since ice out that I haven't been out to the cabin.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #979 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Drifter/Dave good thing you were almost home when the boat motor quit and others were nearby to tow you in to dock. May the problem be a simple one and easy to fix. Is your plan to complete insulation install this fall so you can use the cabin as a base for ice fishing trips this Winter.

Steve

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #980 on: Sep 27, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Drifter/Dave good thing you were almost home when the boat motor quit and others were nearby to tow you in to dock. May the problem be a simple one and easy to fix. Is your plan to complete insulation install this fall so you can use the cabin as a base for ice fishing trips this Winter.

Steve

Not quite home, was about 7 1/2 miles from the launch. ::)
Insulation won't be finished until next year as I still have lots of wiring and some plumbing in the ceiling to do.
I also need to finish setting a bunch of ceiling joists.
Next winter I'll be able to stay out there though. :)

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #981 on: Sep 29, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Good news!!!!
Wasn't water in the fuel it was a bad seal on the connector on the hose of the fuel line.
She was sucking air, not fuel.   :-\
Couldn't find one today (it's a 3/8" line and all I found were 5/16" line) so will check the marine suppliers tomorrow.
Back to the cabin next weekend.  :)

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #982 on: Sep 29, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Good news!!!!
Wasn't water in the fuel it was a bad seal on the connector on the hose of the fuel line.
She was sucking air, not fuel.   :-\
Couldn't find one today (it's a 3/8" line and all I found were 5/16" line) so will check the marine suppliers tomorrow.
Back to the cabin next weekend.  :)

Very nice! Good luck next weekend with your cabin work.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #983 on: Sep 29, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Drifter/Dave guess I misread your post thought you were close to home in Yellow Knife. Once again good thing one of your "Cabin" neighbors was around to help that day. Good to hear the boat problem is an easy fix.
 Steve

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #984 on: Oct 02, 2019, 01:18 PM »
This thread is a lot of fun to read. Super jealous of you living in Yellowknife and this cabin looks like it will be awesome. What lake is it on if you don't mind me asking? Not like I'll ever be up your way, just like to live vicariously and look at maps.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #985 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:24 PM »
This thread is a lot of fun to read. Super jealous of you living in Yellowknife and this cabin looks like it will be awesome. What lake is it on if you don't mind me asking? Not like I'll ever be up your way, just like to live vicariously and look at maps.

It's on Prosperous Lake just North of Yellowknife.  :)

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Prosperous+Lake/@62.6019012,-114.3267047,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x53d21f49ad83c461:0x9d6c9bd4d1e8e41e!8m2!3d62.6269602!4d-114.207888

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #986 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I am very envious.
I know you are putting a lot of work on this project.
I am still..... very envious!!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #987 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Wow, it must be amazing there. What kind of fish are in the lake? How much ice do you have to drill through in the deep of winter to get to them? Big lake! About 10 miles long it appears!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #988 on: Oct 03, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Looks like good quality work on all your sprinkler and waste piping! Most people don't understand the difference between waste and pressure, looks like you are moving along well for a one man show! Keep the pics coming and have fun!

Online Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #989 on: Oct 04, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Wow, it must be amazing there. What kind of fish are in the lake? How much ice do you have to drill through in the deep of winter to get to them? Big lake! About 10 miles long it appears!

Lakers, pike, whitefish and burbot.
Lake is 400' deep at it's deepest.
Have drilled through as much as 64" of ice up here.
Usually about 48" though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.