Author Topic: Quick striker glove question  (Read 1010 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Quick striker glove question
« on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:57 AM »
I like the looks of the striker stealth gloves and the extended cuffs that they have. But when I look online, I see that they come in the red and black and the silver and black. Is one last year‘s model and ones this year‘s model, or are they both the same. No differences? The Fleet store by me has them in stock for 59.99.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Quick striker glove question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2024, 10:33 AM »
When I bought mine two seasons ago, only the red and black were available. The silver and black seem to be the current version. No idea if there were any changes other than the colors

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2024, 11:44 AM »
I don't know if your store price matches or not but a lot of places have them on sale right now for 39.99

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2024, 01:09 PM »
Red ones are older model, listed as "water resistant".  New ones are grey trim, listed as "waterproof". 

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2024, 01:37 PM »
Hd’s links show both as waterproof it looks like.  Gofishin, by the time I get done procrastinating sales are long gone🥹.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2024, 01:48 PM »
I don't know if your store price matches or not but a lot of places have them on sale right now for 39.99

These may be the older black version

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-striker-stealth-gloves/16482-407203.html

Some other deals

https://www.tackledirect.com/search.php?query=striker+ice+stealth

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2024, 03:14 PM »
Seems to be quite a few comments around  about NOT being waterproof regardless of how they are advertising them. Any comments?

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2024, 10:39 AM »
I ordered both the stealth gloves and the blackfish arid.  I kept the Blackfish and returned both strikers.  Arid's felt better to me and were stronger in the reviews I was able to find and people shared.  Unfortunately, I haven't had them out to test yet but hope to soon.  Time will tell if my decision was 'right" for me. 

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:44 AM »
When I bought mine two seasons ago, only the red and black were available. The silver and black seem to be the current version. No idea if there were any changes other than the colors

JR, how do you like 'em???

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2024, 09:02 AM »
JR, how do you like 'em???
They work pretty well for me. I wear them when it's too cold to be bare handed, but still need some dexterity. I don't put these gloves on and wear them all day. Normally if it's cold,  I'll drag out to a spot wearing mitts or heavier gloves, then put on the Strikers to set up my hub, put in the anchors, etc. Or if I'm not in a shelter, but catching a lot of fish, like when you get into the bluegills one after the other, I'll put them on because I can reach into the hole, unhook a fish, rebait, and fish with them on, and not have to deal with wet hands getting cold.
Before getting the Strikers I tried a pair of neoprene gloves, didn't like those, no feel, too thick. I also used tried some fingerless wool gloves, but got tired of snagging hooks, and was sill getting cold when my hands/fingers got wet.
A glomitt, like the the one Eskimo makes would probably be a one glove solution for me, but wasn't something I saw when I was shopping. The Clam dryskinz seem very similar, maybe a little thinner but I didn't try them on side by side. For my use, really, something like the Clam featherweight glove would probably work, I liked how those felt in the store.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10:45 AM »
I was told strikers were neoprene? Wish I could try them on. Hated my neoprene gloves, colder than no gloves and never waterproof. They were clumsy and fragile to.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2024, 02:56 PM »
I was told strikers were neoprene? Wish I could try them on. Hated my neoprene gloves, colder than no gloves and never waterproof. They were clumsy and fragile to.

I had some neoprene gloves and didn't like them either. These aren't anything like that.

If they do have neoprene, it is a very, very thin layer. I'm guessing there isn't, because that probably wouldn't be breathable(?) The inside and outside are fabric of some type. It's soft and flexible enough that you can wad them up into a ball, I don't think I could do that with my old neoprene gloves. Not sure really how to explain it, it feels like a thinner version of the soft shell material on the lower portion of my eskimo bib jak pullover. It can stretch, they do fit tight against the skin, but it doesn't feel like elastic, if that makes sense.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Just got a pair and used them this past week, very impressed with them. I hate wearing gloves, and these are the best I’ve found, thing and warm.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2024, 04:24 PM »
Fleet has them for 25% off, in store only. Called Striker today and was told there is no difference between the older ones and new ones, Changes are cosmetic only. I’m out, too many complaints about not waterproof and neoprene tearing. I’m getting Blackfish Arid, very comfortable and much thinner.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:33 AM »
Another similar glove to consider is the Eskimo Lockout Flex.  I picked up a pair this year, but haven't tried them on the ice yet.  I have the Striker Stealth and the Blackfish Arid and like them both, but the Eskimo appears (to me) to have better dexterity, and has a thin Merino wool lining.  I've used them for shoveling and they're nice, but it isn't a fair test.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2024, 05:11 PM »
Well hell! There isn’t a 2x pair at blackfish or any website I can find and blackfish/ clam has not reordered more. On The Lam, are the eskimos close to the Arid’s? I get nervous seeing the sizes they offer though,  no big ones.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2024, 06:51 AM »
I find the Arids to be slightly thicker/stiffer than the Eskimos..more of a neoprene type of feel.  But my guess is the Arids are warmer.  The Eskimos are very much like the Strikers...thinner, more dexterity.  I was drawn to the Eskimos because I didn't like the long cuff on the Strikers and they have a Merino wool lining.  The Eskimo sizing was also better for me as well...they have a M/L where most of them are L/XL.  Like I said, I haven't used them on the ice yet, so we'll see.   Hope this helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.