Author Topic: Okumas new mini bait feeders  (Read 7195 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Okumas new mini bait feeders
« on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I think the new 1000 size and 500 size are going to be perfect for ice fishing. Avenger and the Ceymar line to have both sizes. I am going to buy one of each. Trouble is no one has them in stock yet.

I promise not to get het up over a new product every year. As you can see it never works. I wish the manufacturer's would refrain from hyping something until it is available to the ordinary Joe.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Okumas new mini bait feeders
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Seen those they are pre order not in stock. I never liked the idea of someone holding my money for an indefinite time.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:46 AM »
I have the larger old okuma bait feeders on my ice rods and they work awesome when using as a dead stick or Ifish pro. I'm looking forward to buying a few of these.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Seen those they are pre order not in stock. I never liked the idea of someone holding my money for an indefinite time.

Agreed. Waiting until they show stock before I order five.

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Anyone find an update on these?  I've posted on Okuma's facebook and youtube videos and can't get an answer.  I'd like to get my hands on one to see if it's what I think it will be.

Any info appreciated.
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2019, 06:21 PM »
There are a few retailers that will have them online Monday, who... I will be glad to share after I order my five. Lol! Scheels has them online.

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Fingers crossed for an Amazon store.  Been saving up Amazon credit card points for this very occasion!

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Tuned Up Custom Rods will have them up on there site on Monday, otherwise they have a open house tomorrow from 10-2 where you can pick them up. They have a good amount of them but once they hit the website they will go fast.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:32 PM »
There are a few retailers that will have them online Monday, who... I will be glad to share after I order my five. Lol! Scheels has them online.

I can't find them on scheels? link?
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:28 AM »
I can't find them on scheels? link?

Here you go

https://www.scheels.com/p/okuma-ceymar-baitfeeder-spinning-reel/73999813811.html

After looking at this I don't see the Micro ones as an option

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:52 AM »
Glens and Reeds both have them.  Glens are a few $ cheaper

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:31 PM »

What size are you planning on GBH?

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2019, 08:54 PM »
I have the Ceymar 500 on order from Tackledirect.com. They charged my card, so I am thinking they have them in stock.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I have the Ceymar 500 on order from Tackledirect.com. They charged my card, so I am thinking they have them in stock.

The note says Pre Order, I placed an order a few weeks back and the charged my card at that time. It shouldn’t be long now

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:57 AM »
I'm hoping I can get one from TUCRs one of these days with their upgraded drag washers.

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Reeds is definitely the place to go. No tax and if you order over $100 the shipping is free. So I'm getting two of them delivered for $120 flat.

Only one place had them for sale on Amazon and they were charging tax plus $10 per unit shipped. Complete rip-off

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Reeds is definitely the place to go. No tax and if you order over $100 the shipping is free. So I'm getting two of them delivered for $120 flat.

Only one place had them for sale on Amazon and they were charging tax plus $10 per unit shipped. Complete rip-off

Just ordered 2 of the 500's myself from Reed's along with a TUCR deadstick rod. $229.97 shipped.   ;D

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:33 PM »
What size are you planning on GBH?

I ordered 3 of the 500 series.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Just ordered 2 of the 500's myself from Reed's along with a TUCR deadstick rod. $229.97 shipped.   ;D
Imo, the tuned up custom rods site is the best deal. They install the carbonex drag washers upgrade on all new reels before selling them. Ordered mine from there.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Imo, the tuned up custom rods site is the best deal. They install the carbonex drag washers upgrade on all new reels before selling them. Ordered mine from there.

What exactly is the drag washer upgrade? Is the factory drag that bad on these reels That they need a upgrade right out of the box? Or is it just a nice little free upgrade offered by TUC? I had thought about ordering through TUC but opted to save the money on tax and shipping. I have a couple Okuma ceymar reels and a Helios reel on 3 of my open water rods and have never had to do anything to the drags and have been happy with them. Hopefully my new micro ceymars don’t dissapoint

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:49 PM »
What exactly is the drag washer upgrade? Is the factory drag that bad on these reels That they need a upgrade right out of the box? Or is it just a nice little free upgrade offered by TUC? I had thought about ordering through TUC but opted to save the money on tax and shipping. I have a couple Okuma ceymar reels and a Helios reel on 3 of my open water rods and have never had to do anything to the drags and have been happy with them. Hopefully my new micro ceymars don’t dissapoint

TUCR does the drag washer upgrade on every reel they sell.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2019, 06:24 AM »
TUCR does the drag washer upgrade on every reel they sell.

I realize they do it on every reel. Im just wondering what exactly the upgrade is and what do you gain by doing it? Is it a noticeable difference? Like I said previously I own 3 other Okuma reels and have been happy with the drag performance. Im sure TUCR has their reasoning behind the upgrade just trying to better understand what one is to gain with it.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2019, 07:35 AM »
I realize they do it on every reel. Im just wondering what exactly the upgrade is and what do you gain by doing it? Is it a noticeable difference? Like I said previously I own 3 other Okuma reels and have been happy with the drag performance. Im sure TUCR has their reasoning behind the upgrade just trying to better understand what one is to gain with it.

they replace the oiled felt drag with a carbon drag - is it worth it, no. is it better for ice fishing no. Oiled felt works fine so long as it is actually oiled lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:03 AM »
I would think the carbon would be less temperature sensitive but I've never tried it. I've noticed mainly with my shimano reels if I'm fishing inside the drag needs to be tighter than when hole hopping outside.  It'd be nice to not be always adjusting it

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:16 AM »
just trying to better understand what one is to gain with it.
I mostly disagree with Matty on this.  I agree that comparing a new reel with felt to new reel with carbon you won't see much, if any improvement.  I guess you could replace and maintain the felt, but the carbontex is very long lasting.

I have older sets of shimano and pflueger reels that I've removed the felt and replaced with carbontex.  I feel it was a noticeable improvement in performance over the replaced felt at the point I did it.  Felt retains moisture, especially over extended periods of use in typical ice fishing conditions.  I find better adjustibilty with more consistency and far less tendency to lope using carbontex washers and less moisture related freeze ups moving between spots during brutal conditions.  I believe you also get more drag potential compared to oiled felt.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Thanks for clarifying! I guess I can always do the up grade myself should I not be happy with the factory performance.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Thanks for clarifying! I guess I can always do the up grade myself should I not be happy with the factory performance.

FWIW I'm in agreement with winterbuddy. The difference is negligible on a well set up new reel (i.e. not a junk reel) and dependent on conditions and your maintenance. I do use carbontex on about half of my set-ups. I order sheets of it and make my own washers using the OEM as a template. I do this to increase drag max and also improve take off especially on baitcasters and larger sized spinning reels.

Good quality grease can make a positive difference too. I use Cal's drag grease in original and the purple lower temp version.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:52 PM »
What one should expect to gain from a carbontex drag is better mid range performance to max range performance and smoother consistency in those ranges.  What most people experience with a reel that can lock down on the drag is carbontex often will not lock down.  For example a reel that can operate at 20# of max drag will sometimes become 15# of max drag with carbontex.  What most people do not understand about a drag material upgrade to carbontex is not always equal to lower end drag pressure performance nor increase higher end drag pressure performance.  It takes a little tweaking to get that nice higher end drag pressure performance.

It's true the material will last longer and has very good heat dissipation under long runs.  So you fishing for that kind of fish, yes.

What it will not give you, assuming all material thickness is equal.  Is light pressure adjustment.  Felt material + grease/oil has a very good light pressure adjustment.  We talking fishing 2# to 4# fishing line, while setting the drag to something within the 1# plus minus settings.  The biggest problem is user error.  This is where the settings are on upper to maxed out to the reel's setting.  What happens when one compresses felt...it's compressed and those fibers doesn't spring back.  Funny how that's how it's made.

There are other materials as well as the actual drag components in design.  Is it a stack of steel washers and felt material or just one sandwich of it?  A stack performs better overall, but that's also weight and material included into the design.  Design of precision as in a lot of open space that allows for condensation to form inside of drag will diminish drag performance.  We all know that once unnecessary moisture gets into the drag, it's then compromised.  The drag washers are often not even pressure.  One will know it if one marker the surface and then rubs the washer on an even surface.  Very surprising to see when the steel washers themselves is really the culprit of lack of consistent drag performance vs the actual drag material.

What the average joe will fish for...will never need the carbontex drag material upgrade.  It's like getting Abec 7 or 9 bearings for your fishing reels.

The sell point of upgrade...is just a sell point.  It's an exchange, not always an upgrade.  Unless the original was that bad to begin with.  That's another story/discussion for others to give feedback on.

Contrary, the best upgrade to any reel is getting a bearing into the line roller over that of a metal/plastic bushing in those reels.  That's probably the first part where your reel will freeze up.  You'd be surprised at how many reels lack a ball bearing inside the line roller.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:35 AM »
Great explanation Slipperybob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.