Author Topic: St Crox Rods  (Read 708 times)

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
St Crox Rods
« on: Nov 19, 2023, 08:59 AM »
Just a FYA, St Crap rods will not provide customer service.  I had a defective rod and they told me to send rod back with $50 and they would look at it. They claim to be the best rod made in America.  DON'T THINK SO. Buyers beware.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St Crox Rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2023, 09:08 AM »
Their fly rods genuinely used to be about the best rods an honest man could buy. Based on what I hear about their ice rods though, I'm better off looking at almost any other brand
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2023, 06:45 PM »
I was ready to throw in the towel on at croix. I called, emailed, etc and never heard back. A couple weeks ago they called me back and left a voicemail. Figured I missed out but they called me again and I was able to get a replacement rod tip for $25. So…not sure what to think of them right now. 
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2023, 08:20 PM »
Seems like they provided customer service to me. What’s the rest of the story? What rod was it? How long have you owned it? What was the defect? They wouldn’t have you send them cash if they didn’t plan on taking care of you. I’m not sure what you’re upset about. If you were expecting a brand new rod for free then buy a rod that offers that guarantee.

Their ice rods are actually pretty nice. They are just grossly overpriced riding on the “St. Croix” name and for the price you can get a better rod for much cheaper.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Braxtonheim62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2023, 01:10 PM »
I had great customer service with them in the past. Just paid shipping

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2023, 01:13 PM »
I had an ultralight that I broke the tip off. I emailed them and they had me call them the following morning. $30 and they shipped me a brand new rod. It arrived a week later. It really doesn't get any better than this.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Maybe something changed.

Any experience I have had with St. Croix  has always been positive.

WS

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2023, 06:06 PM »
Do they make an ice rod in USA? I've got a number of their USA premier rods for open water. I've not nothing against Mexico either though, I guess that's technically America. I've only ever had positive experience with St Croix, although I've only ever had one fail that wasn't my fault. The liner for a guide broke way too soon. They had me swap it for a new rod at the local dealer for free. I would never expect any company to fix my fishing rod if it's over a year old, and the fact that they will if you pay shipping seems great to me.
-Tom

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2023, 01:11 PM »
I was ready to throw in the towel on at croix. I called, emailed, etc and never heard back. A couple weeks ago they called me back and left a voicemail. Figured I missed out but they called me again and I was able to get a replacement rod tip for $25. So…not sure what to think of them right now.

Define "rod tip".  If you mean the top half a two piece rod then you did good.  If you mean a tip top then you got bent over and done raw.  Either way you received poor customer service.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2023, 01:14 PM »
Too many feel entitled to a new rod when they are to blame. I'm surprised any of these companys can offer the warranty most expect

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2023, 04:12 PM »
I used to send St. Croix feedback in their suggestions/comments thingy box, but they never reply back to me.  If they did, it must have been late late later or months to years have gone by.   ;D  I quit looking for that response back. 

But I do check their discontinued/retired rods sales every now and then hoping to find an awesome rod - without any warranty back up.  Have gotten some of the best deals out of it.  The local tackle shop does sometimes offer some of the St. Croix rep samples and rare discontinued models too.  Who wouldn't want a St. Croix Legend rod for 1/2 price even without warranty.

I will say that I have avoided their recent ice rods, cuz there hasn't been one in particular that interests me.  I mean with the lousy line guides on their spinning rods, ahem ahem... ;D  I mean their was some rods that pique my interest but alas, I passed. 

I don't like their metric labelled rods.  It's late and it now confuses me.  Should've done that like 30 yrs ago so I can adjust to it.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.