Author Topic: Please HELP!!!  (Read 1404 times)

sallyda6th

Please HELP!!!
« on: Jan 03, 2004, 12:17 AM »
        I ice fish in illinois so, the species i fish for are , bluegill, perch, crappie, bass, and some times walleye and pike.  I want to fish with a rod with a jig and minnow while having a couple of tip-ups out for bass.  Whats a good hand auger size.  I can get a real good deal on a brand new 6" eskimo auger.  But i dont know if its big enough.  I can also get a good deal on a brand new folding "8 eskimo, but think its a littel over kill.  Also is a 6" to small for tip-ups for bass.  And is a chisel worthful.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Please HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2004, 12:46 AM »
Derpends how big the fish are that you are catching bigger the hole the nicer it is for landing fish but not always a must bass hole sized i am not sure off try asking the bass addicts over in Massachusets what size they use because i know they pull up alot of 4-6 pounders all winter long   8" hole is nice for those 40" pike i believe a 36" pike will fit through a 6" hole but you shouldnt have any problem with a 6" hole for panfish
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 03:22 AM »
i have a 9" jiffy work's well for all species of fish.
walk the hard water side.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004, 04:06 AM »
Get an 8" and youll never worry about getting a big one through the ice. And it wont take much more muscle to drill with an 8 over a 6 if its sharp.  Also, a 8" hole takes a little longer to freeze over again.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

missfishylicious

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:55 AM »
olfarts got it eights better gives you a litle room if you want to use a fishfinder or camera and won't freeze so easy good luck

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:06 AM »
Sally, if your the one turning the crank get the 6" you will drill more holes and catch more fish. If your going to use a power auger go with the 8"
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:23 AM »
You can get any fish your fishing for, thru a 8 inch hole without any problem.A 6 inch hole you have to be a little more patient getting the head of the fish coming up thru the hole when they decide to do a few head shakes at the last moment.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:36 AM »
I use a 7.25 in augar and have pulled all sorts of fish through the hole.  Nice thing about a smaller hole is the fish cannot get turned to get away once they are in the hole.   ;)  It takes a very large fish not to fit in a 6 in and if you are getting a hand augar you will find it easier to drill and be more likely to move around if they are not bitting in the first spot you set up.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Lets make it easy for her? Him?  You wont need a 10" hand or power auger, and its not much fun with just a spud, so cross those two off your list. You will, however, need a dipper to clean those holes no matter how you made em. :) Start there and just have fun for a few trips. Then go back and look at the rest of the gear and see what might be a help to the way YOU fish, not the other guys on the lake. ;D Bring spikes if you dont know how safe the ice is, too!
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.