Author Topic: Rainbow fishing blooper  (Read 1242 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Rainbow fishing blooper
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:33 PM »
A few years ago, I was fishing for trout at a lake called Vega Lake in colorado. they are simple to catch at this lake, and I usually catch about one hundred. Well, I had just caught a small 10 incher, i released him. I put my line back in the hole so I could go get another meal worm to tip my jig with. My line was about 8 inches below the ice. When I got back, my rod was about going in the water, and I lifted up and it was about a 14 inch trout that bit it, 8 inches below the ice.  :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
Re:Rainbow fishing blooper
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Were these trout stocked in this lake?

Due to the large majority of trout in PA being stocked, I have on occasion targeted them through the ice.  I have noticed on this trips, that stocked trout (maybe all trout, I don't know) tend to cruise in the 1-3' range below the surface of the ice.  I use a fish finder when I ice fish, and the number of fish that passed through this layer of the lake(s) was astounding.  I look down the hole, watch for 20 minutes, and see anywhere from 3 to 4 fish cruise by in that time frame.  I've never seen anything like it with any other fish species I've ice fished for.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003, 07:38 PM »
It is common for rainbow to cruise just below the ice.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:25 PM »
the trout in this lake are mostly wild, a few are stocked
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.