Author Topic: What are the best baits for perch?  (Read 16687 times)

sweet446

What are the best baits for perch?
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 02:05 PM »
Hey guys going fishing soon and wondering what are the best baits for perch any help would be great. :'(

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What are the best baits for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 04:09 PM »
That question is kind of like asking a flyfisherman what is the best fly for catching trout. The best perch lure or bait will vary with conditions, location, and technique. A medium shiner under a tip-up (especially Windlass) proves deadly for large perch around here. Jigging a Swedish pimple, jigging Rap, Kastmaster, Hali,and others tipped with a waxworm, minnow head, small minnow(add personal fav here) will all produce fish. Small teardrops, and jigs have their day as well. Generally you will find them close to bottom, but not always. Ask at your local tackle shop and they will probably know what's working.

perchpile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:14 PM »
cover diffrent depths one on bottom one suspended with a bobber. we use jigs with wiggler and minnow if its a new area keep moveing at 1/2 hour intervuls. try dif colors good luck

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2004, 08:23 PM »
 Don't worry folks it's only the Germ showing his crusty side because he can't have a beer and has to work. LOL .
   We'll just humour him because that's all we can do .LOL
    He is the reason Jiffy developed a 3hp auger that drills a 10 inch hole . LOL
    I am sure glad our lakes up here are deep . LOL . We can't allow him to come up for air . LOL ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:25 PM »
awww they took out my lil section? Sorry admin it was really funny though..Didnt mean to take it to far:< Just was funny..hope i didn't offend many peeps and it was ment in good fun.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:10 AM »
glad to hear i was a lil upset thinking maybe you had not taking it the same way i had ment it...after they deleted it i thought ..er...i had taken it to far type thing...but i mean with not making excuses for me i do go on here early mornings but to me ive been usually up for like 20 hours by now and lack of sleep dulls my senses (ya nice excuse for GERM being stupid isnt it!) anyhow sometimes being a male i don't really think....Don't tell my wife I admitted that. ANyhow seriously if you could read it the way i ment it to be read it was all in good humour and im glad you took it that way. Just like having a buddy beside ya bugging ya with a lil poke poke in the ribs. Germs just a clown and except Germ for the clown he is. But i fish like a MOFO and i USUALLY catch more then anyone im with. except for lakers..And ill bring in proof if need be! LOL tight lines and glad to hear you wernt ticked...a lil glad anyhow..rofl tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:38 AM »
Well i thought You contacted the ADMIn on the server here and GOt him to delete it because you were upset with the amount of times i laughed at it lol...I don't know...Like i said when sleep deprivation gets to ya you'll think just about anything. Im just glad it was all taken light hearted like it was intended..lol ASk trapperdirk hes been putting up with my crap Since ive been on here..LOL that ol ugly bugger that he is!

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2004, 10:38 AM »
I stock up right before ice up on wax worms,maggots,mousies and fresh water shrimp

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2004, 12:12 PM »
i think it all varies. I very very seldom use anything other then the powerbait maggots...but i have used minnows in differnt bodies of water my maggots wouldnt work and they cleaned up. Another friend of mine use's waxies etc  he does just the same as i do with powerbait and maggots..I say if they are there then it just depends on how you fish rather then what you fish for the most part..The good thing with minnows is that you let them do the work...

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2004, 12:38 PM »
I lived in Le Duke for a summer and That fall Lived up in FORT MCMurray..working for SYNCRUDE oil...SO i had a chance to fish alot of the lil lakes up and around there..i can't remember their names...Plus the many rivers along the ways...Beautiful place though except for When you hit Fort McMurray and the syncrude site..is darn ugly.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:40 PM »
the best bait for perch, is anything small, and the smaller the better. the most important thing is to NOT expose the tip of the hook. you can watch these little bait thieves pick up your presentation, and if they feel any part of the hook, you'll see them spit it out faster than you can do a hook set. the exception is an aggressive feeding school with a suicide wish. grumps 2 bits.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:12 PM »
Grumps right PErch hit soft sometimes and if they feel tips they don't hold on long. Soon as i feel the slightest thing while fishing for perch i set hook. SOmetimes i set hook even when i dont feel and i get em then also.They might have been in the action of going to strike and i hit em. Thers also Jumbo perch that take the Bait up like whitefish do...Then you feel slack on your line and most of those times its a biggin. Caught one the other day at a pound 12 inches long. Nice jumbo and it didnt tugg down it lifted my bait upwards...SO sometimes its just practice with these tasty lil devils that brings em home to your dinner plate!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:18 PM »
Theres a section at the top of the forum that explains how to do it check in that section it has a few threads explaining how to put them in.

nuke1neil

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Nice catch!!!Caught 3 nice ones yesterday on 3 in.shiners.Bigger minnows keep the small perch away.(As told to me by Mr.Van Cleaver).Worked for me.When I fileted the largest one it had 30+ baby bluegills in its stomach all half inch long max.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:14 PM »
nice mount sweet...I might have to disagree about what the other guy said about big minnows and such..i agree its harder for the lil ones to get on your line but sometimes keeping the fish in a frenzy will bring the larger ones in for the kill more often. So if you do keep one line in with smaller bait and one for larger ones...Keep your options open when fishing..diversity i find is the key to happy perch fishing.  I fish with tyed flys on a second rod when the bite isnt on and My biggest perch this season ive caught on that Small fly that i would use on brook trout in the spring..One can never tell. I also use tube baits covering my tear drops and topped with a maggot (powerbait) for Bigger  perch when i know they are in the area. or at least when i think they are in the area. Plus Lakers will hit it as well as pike. SO good to keep the doors open.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I believe it is the admins who take care of this site and DO a great job i might add..but they filter stuff that they see and act accordingly to rules of the site..I guess they want people to earn the lables that they get on this site..I mean if ya want to have more then just respond more or help people more with the situations on the site...ANyhow that is who would have got rid of the post and Taken your post numbers away. Trust me before you know it you'll be up in the numbers but by then you wont care anyhow lol...Look at grumpymoe hes in the 500 or more by now...anyhow tight lines and keep the fish pics coming in!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2004, 11:07 AM »
Well get out fishing....Just a quick question are you suspended from school? Seems to me you post during school hours? Not like its any of Germs darn buisness but if youd like to answer then sgreat but if not i understand...And if you are off school then Hey get a fishin lol.Tight lines and get some pictures of you with your fish :>Tiught lines and almost time for me to leave

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2004, 05:33 PM »
That sounds so sad. I don't mean to be a thorn but it relally does..Just like me and trapperdirk sitting on the phone talking to each other while drinking cause we didn't want to drink alone...Should ask One of your family members to come with ya fishing....I mean it is a FAMILY day? ANyhow tight lines good luck and get some pics of you holding a prize perch...By the way i got skunked today!

grumpymoe

« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2004, 04:37 PM »
if he has any pictures of perch, he's likely hiding behind it and you wont see him. please dont spoil the legend by getting his picture on here. ;D ;D ;D  grumpy

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:10 PM »
LOL ya with the size of the perch i get you wouldnt even be able to get me in the picture lol . Unless i used a wide angle lenz....LOL grump you old devil.... I have a picture that trapper dirk posted for me on here in regards to the 20 inch perch..That was a 11 and a half i believe i caught a few weeks ago just to show the guys what i wanted in regards to us seeing the sizes of the perch. Im going fishing this weekend SO ill get some Pics then. GOing for ling trout and rainbows and brooks. Ill take anything i get though. LOL tight lines all and ill post tommroow morning then im gone till monday. WIsh me luck and tight lines!

trapperdirk

« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2004, 09:45 PM »
 Your not banned I don't think Sweet 446 . Come on over to the Ontario forum because thats mostly where Germ and I hang out . We'll answer any question you may have regarding fishing techniques and such . At least come and watch me put Germ down the hole . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:48 AM »
Sorry sweets ...Listen if i didnt post wasnt becasue i didn't read it i just dont get to read all the threads sometimes. As for your number of posts i don't belive they Like posts with just 1 answer..Most guys here don't really care about How many posts they have to be honest with ya. So don't even worry about the number of posts and all that it isn't a competition...Just reply to stuff you know and talk to people and ask question's when you have SOme...ANd don't worry about numbers man. Anyhow i psoted a picture of Germ on the Ling or burbot Thread there..Im holding a 2 pound Burbot in my kitchen..i still need to resize that picture as it was to big o well at least trapper din't have to post it for me this time LOL tight lines!

grumpymoe

« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2004, 07:32 AM »
sweet446  grumpymoe from the manitoba forum. trapper, germ and all the other guys here, are pretty cool and know alot about the great outdoors. hang around, and listen to what they have to say. dont take all for fact, because they like having a good time jabbing one another from time to time. as far as admin removing some posts, dont worry about how many you make; its the quality of the post and the factual help it provides other anglers who enjoy this great sport. if you need help and advice at any time, give me a holler.. grumpymoe

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2004, 03:25 PM »
No idea omn the Big black stripe sweet...Hard to say wihtout having seen the fish...ALso that they are pond Fish right? Pellet fed? COuld be coleration based on it's living condtions? Not to sure though as it is one stripe not a whole color sounds kind of odd... especially when you say only one had the stripe...ANyhow keep up the fishing...You should try joining a club or group that fishes  as well..Or maybe look for work in the summer on a Fish or Paid pond fishing place...If your into fishing then might as well Get right into it. Anyhow keep up the good work kid ...And if your family giv'es ya a hard time  about fishing etc..Then do some checking on the facts then respond to them about how hunters and fishermen pay into the restocking and rehibilitation of lakes streans waterways fish ladders etc etc and that these tree huggers shouls realize this. Also tell them how fish is a important part of a diet lol..Tell them anything to get ya out fishing more!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2004, 11:59 AM »
hehe well I think not stumped as the beads arnt really the lure but more of a attractant to a boring set up...LOL..Iv'e made my own Bead leader set up for a  lil more color this year..Iv'e got less hits With perch because well they like more natural stuff..And so far this year no LAkers for me at all so i can't say one way or another. and no whities as of yet for me and well dang havent used it for ling yet. Though the same beads i have used for FLy tying and putting onto hooks for crappies and For small Bass and Perch and will use them this srping for brooks and such ...I can take some shots if ya like and post them so you can see the set ups?

sweet446

« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2004, 04:08 PM »
ide like to see some pics of u with ur fish

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:07 PM »
Yes would like to see em sweet take a shot of the lure and post it!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2004, 07:08 PM »
I think ment that these are LIKE his but not his.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2004, 10:53 AM »
No i was replying to the Perch pic i know the Lure leaders are yours...They can be made quite easily and work for the LArger of the perch i find...Or Rockbass and blue gill also. LOl . Iv'e made a few also but find that i always switch to no leader lures...I don't know why though as they hit on both..ANyhow ya no problems backing ya up sweets..Some guys here like to be picky with words So just watch how ya describe pics that you post....That is why i hardly post pics...That and im also ugly as SIN lol..Tight lines!

sweet446

« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2004, 04:38 PM »
hey germ do perch have teeth. :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.