Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50710 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #90 on: Sep 20, 2018, 01:36 PM »
would be worth the wait to get a free replacement from eagle claw.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Sep 20, 2018, 01:55 PM »
How was the setup? This is going to be my first flip over; any set up tips I should know?

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:16 PM »
How was the setup? This is going to be my first flip over; any set up tips I should know?

By myself probably 25-30mins, really easy. Just skip using the included wrenches and get two rachets with 10mm sockets.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:22 PM »
would be worth the wait to get a free replacement from eagle claw.

The warrenty dept told me to go through Sportmans because all their units are sold to retailers, and they arent sure when they will have more in. Earliest guess was late Nov. 

Will say both companies were right on top of it, very easy to get ahold of, and offering to fix it. It's just such a new in-demand item that time frames are alittle long right now.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #94 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Quality issues already?i dont know if i like eagle claws involvement with shappell..everything eagle claw brand turned to cheaply made stuff.both my shappell shelters were bought before eagle claw branded them.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Sep 20, 2018, 04:20 PM »
It honestly looks like they just missed hitting both cloths with some stitches where the black meets the blue, at the top. After I saw that I checked the whole rest of it out and everything else looks fine, the heat stitching looks awesome, no more pin holes through with every snitch. It's super thick, there was no light coming inside to speak of I really like it I just think I got a random bad one.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Sep 24, 2018, 06:28 AM »
So I got my new FX100 I on Saturday afternoon. I was walking out the door to go bow hunting and seen the FedEx truck pull in, so I decided to put it together instead since I was so excited. First thoughts are I really like it! Assembly was easy, every part was labeled which made it easier. Use a 10mm socket and wrench instead of the ones they give you. The insulated fabric is awesome! Glad I held off for this.  One of the brace bracket (things that go on the side poles if you want to use it as a windbreak) did not work. The rivet was busted on it and I will have to call Shappell and see if I can get a new one sent out. It does not want to slide open or close unless you put a lot of force on it. The other one works great. Here are a few other things I noticed:

-I wish the tub was a little bit thicker. I will definitely be putting the wear bars on it.
-Not a big fan of the design for how the poles attach to the sled. There is only one bolt holding the bracket with four poles on it. It seems sturdy, but just caught my attention.
-I like the Velcro that is attached the tub near your feet. The cover has Velcro tabs that connect to this and it seals off the corners to prevent the wind from blowing in.
-I like the sliding seat. Not the most comfortable but a big step up from my old shack that didn't have a seat. Not sure if I'll add a back rest or just use a foam pad.
-Not sure why they have mesh for the side windows? I might end up cutting the mesh out since its not really needed.
-I wish there was side mesh pockets on the inside.
-Big fan of the insulated fabric and the heat welds they use instead of the stitching. No tiny little light holes and very dark on the inside which will be nice for sight fishing.

For the price I will buy this again in a heart beat. I got it for $193 plus shipping. Even at retail of $270 this is a good buy compared to other brands.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #97 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Put mine together this weekend.  I put the red trim in a warm oven for 10-15 mins and it went on like a breeze.  So far, I like everything about it for what it is.   A lightweight one man shanty.  Cant wait to hit it with a few mods....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #98 on: Sep 24, 2018, 08:51 AM »
-I wish the tub was a little bit thicker. I will definitely be putting the wear bars on it.

-Not a big fan of the design for how the poles attach to the sled. There is only one bolt holding the bracket with four poles on it. It seems sturdy, but just caught my attention.

-Not sure why they have mesh for the side windows? I might end up cutting the mesh out since its not really needed.
the tub is where a good part of the weight comes from and it is thicker than it used to be by nearly five pounds. the earlier version had complaints of the corners collapsing where the bench is and all the body weight sits onto. mine did just that and they sent a free improved tub and had no more issues. it is thicker and heavier. so now that's what they use for all of them. their mold was set too thin originally.
the wear bars are the best in the market i have used. well thought out and reversible to save you even more money. they make it pull easier in certain conditions and make it quieter while pulling in same conditions.

the pole attachment is simple and effective and easy for you to repair or alter the support poles. installed caps on the main tub to bracket pole and seat support poles would be a nice touch. i use the bracket to tub support poles to hold my rod holders tho.
they are supposed to be working on building dog leg bottom bars for their flip shelters. this would help hold the corners to the tub and help remove wind flap and offer support from the walls blowing in other than velcro tabs. i was hoping they got it done on this version and found out they did not when i bought mine assembled. buying assembled cost more by 50$ most places and that was the only way i could get my hands on one last season. so mine cost 330$ plus tax, so roughly 350$

the mesh does a few things. it keeps the shape of the opening of the tent for the window flap to be able to find the edges.
privacy.
allow air flow.
i like to keep mine closed on one edge  that faces the front while seated. dnr likes to sneak into those windows.
keeps people from being able to push the window/flap in or to put things thru it from the outside.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Good to know about the tubs. Glad they upgraded them!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Stupid question, but when installing the wear bars, which side of the nut is supposed to face up? The instructions make it look like it should be rubber side up, but I'm not really sure.   ???

Edit: disregard; my copy of the instructions was crappy. The online one is clear; gasket down.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #101 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Yes, rubber side up.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Now I'm wishing I'd snagged the travel cover from Sportsman's Guide when I bought the shanty. Does anyone know if Dunham's has carried the cover in the past??

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #103 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:33 PM »
i called dunhams today. they said in about two weeks they'll know what they'll have in stock for shanties ect.

i own a cover and never use it on the shanty but have used it for one of my sleds to keep gear dry. if it's snowing while pulling the fx100i or scouting with out it i leave it in wind break mode to keep my gear dry. if it's windy i anchor it at the pull rope.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Ive got a cabbalas cover, I think for a jet or something, but I think it will be big enough.....I like to keep the snow out of my sled....sometimes I'll walk pretty far....I also have a boat cover that had a tear in it so I replaced a month ago, so I may see if the mrs can whip me up something with that.....

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Mine arrived from the SG also . The assembly was fairly easy & the tent was better quality than my old thermal clam shelter . The bolts for shanty were perfect length. The runner kit was nice but the bolts seemed a little bit short on filling the locknut . Overall a 4.8 out of 5 stars so far ! I am hoping for the MOTHER of all winters to put it to the real test 🎣

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #106 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:15 AM »
the idea is to run the short bolt even/flush to the top of the rubberized and cupped washers and nut.
all the other brands are too long and they can damage your items inside the tub. these short bolts won't stick up and past the nut to help with that issue.
also the runners are reversible so when the back gets thinned out you reverse them and get more time with them. the bolt hole placement was made for that reason. best quality runners i have used. very well thought out product.
maybe run them in tighter and flatten out the cup or rubber some more until the bolt is even with the top of the nut. i can get pics if you want to see them tighten fully.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:21 AM »
3300, I'd like to see pics to make sure I did it right!  @)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #108 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:50 AM »

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Assembled mine last weekend. Was a smooth process but did warm up the trim to help with flexibility and had to flatten one of the cupped washers a little during wear bar installation to get a little more bolt room for the nut. Looking forward to a warmer/lighter shack compared to the old Frabill Trekker I've been using the last 8 years.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #110 on: Oct 13, 2018, 10:47 AM »
tip, install front bolt first. the sled will hold it for you this way.
run them in as you go until finished in the back where you fish. you might be tempted to skip a few to try to align it better, but don't.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Just ordered mine last night from Basspro, free shipping!! Can't wait, I've had my rover1 for about 10 years now, I'm looking forward to the extra fishing space, as well as insulation. I was surprised it only weighed 5lbs more than the fx100, I think I can manage to tow an extra 5!

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:20 AM »

Thanks for the picture. I have them installed correctly . I am going to check them as winter goes to see if they loosen up as I’m pretty hard on stuff 😁

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:25 AM »
After having had bolts come loose, etc...I go to the hw store and pick up some replacements to keep in a little bag in my tackle bag in the shanty....never know when you might need a nut or bolt....

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Well I got the first part of my sportsmans guide order. My fx100i is backorder till Nov 10th or so, shouldn't have waited so long to jump on the deal

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Well I got the first part of my sportsmans guide order. My fx100i is backorder till Nov 10th or so, shouldn't have waited so long to jump on the deal

That's the hyfax kit for those not sure

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:35 AM »
That's the hyfax kit for those not sure

Yeah, I also waited to order to long order one. Expected ship date on my fx100i is 10/30, but I have the Hyfax and cover here already...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Yeah, I also waited to order to long order one. Expected ship date on my fx100i is 10/30, but I have the Hyfax and cover here already...

Ah dang.. Just looked at my order and it got pushed back to that same day  :'(
Guess I won't be adding any mods before first ice.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Nov 01, 2018, 06:02 PM »

Came home today to mine!! Got an email yesterday saying it was shipping,  such a nice suprise having it early! Hopefully yours comes soon laer0302!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Nov 02, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Where is everyone getting your hyfax kits at, any deals to be had on them?

Is there a thread for modded fx100s already?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.