Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50800 times)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #360 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Of course I found this thread after I already ordered one.  Is this issue with all units or just select ones?

Where did you order it from?  Also we will need to know if the shelter frame is the silver poles or black coated?

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #361 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 AM »
With mine it’s honestly not too bad other than the bad hinges, and the sagging in the front where the door is. I also was one that got a bad sled, but they replaced that. I have had it out, and the fabric is nice, with it being longer than my previous one it has more fishable space, but it should more if the fabric was tighter up front

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #362 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 AM »
For me the shelter would have been "useable" but if a consumer is going to pay for a product it should work properly. I could fold it down but if I extended the wind break hinge stretching the bars out I literally couldn't fold it back into a windbreak position without feeling like the velcro straps on the canvas would rip out. My sled was fine and everything went together okay unlike others. The canvas was baggy like mentioned above and needs a re work. Also didn't like the lack of wind/rain flaps covering the zipper. That could make a mess.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #363 on: Jan 31, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I finally returned mine. I took it to camp to free up the downstairs then the windbars and braces showed up. One look at the new parts and I knew it was time to return it. The slotted brace wasn't stretching any fabric and the bars were straight not even bowed to get the fabric back out of the way.Didn't bother to test fit the new parts, just boxed it up and returned. Sportsman's guide has been awesome at both the returns, but they removed the reviews which is really disappointing. After this experience I will not be buying another Shappell/Eagleclaw shelter.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #364 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Not trying to stir the pot, just suprised I haven't heard any talk on if shappell redesigned the fx100i for this year? I thought they were going to, I still won't be interested though. 

Somehow I still have a extra thermal canvas they sent me to try but never gave me a label to ship back when I said it was the same, if one wants it  :whistle:

**edit for clarification

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #365 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Not trying to stir the pot, just suprised I haven't heard any talk on shappell redesigning the fx100i for this year.

Somehow I still have a extra thermal canvas they sent me to try but never gave me a label to ship back when I said it was the same, if one wants it  :whistle:

Interesting, do you have a link to the redesigned shack? Any pics or specs that you are aware of?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #366 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:54 PM »
I for sure wouldnt get the redesign one either.being its yet another version of the fx100i.if it was like the very first version it would be alright.i was set on getting one last year but not after hearing all the production problems and mix matched parts.i ended up getting a great deal on some clam scout xl thermal shantys and the fx100i dream is behind me now.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #367 on: Oct 14, 2019, 04:03 PM »
I for sure wouldnt get the redesign one either.being its yet another version of the fx100i.if it was like the very first version it would be alright.i was set on getting one last year but not after hearing all the production problems and mix matched parts.i ended up getting a great deal on some clam scout xl thermal shantys and the fx100i dream is behind me now.

Yep, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I wouldn't considering getting one until at least next season to make sure people aren't still having issues. I still want to add a flip and go shanty to my arsenal, but leaning toward the Clam Kenai thermal now.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #368 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Sorry guys, I typed that out to fast and should have been more clear.

I have NOT heard of any redesign and also not interested in one even if they did fix it. I was just suprised there hadn't been any talk on the shelter. And if shappel was redesigning it I would have expected to hear something by now  ???

I went the same route as the Dr. and picked up the same clam scout deal last spring, I think I will like it and very happy to have moved on.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #369 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:36 PM »
I was apparently one of the lucky ones who got the old style tubing and first insulated cover. So far I'm happy with the fx100i that I got, but I wouldn't chance it at all anymore. An Eskimo Wide One Inferno would be my choice if I were buying a one man insulated today.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #370 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Yup another one waiting for a simple FX100 with a thermal cover.  would have been a great upgrade to my current fx100.  This thread must of gained attention as I saw only 1 of the 4 they had on the floor sell last season...  I also waited but ended up picking up the clam scout xl thermal this spring.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Oct 19, 2019, 09:21 PM »
I snagged an Eskimo at the end of last season. No way I'm going back to Shappell after all the BS last year. I still have all the emails saying I would get parts and they were working a fix, only to receive nothing but lip service.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #372 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I never heard anything on the re-design either....I still used mine and it really wasn't all that bad. It was warm enough where even if I had the tent flipped over the front door was zipped open (which is where the fabric was sagging. I don't know if I'd recommend it, but it works for me.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #373 on: Oct 20, 2019, 10:40 AM »
it's been updated and now has old style tube frame painted black. dog leg bars are no longer if yours had them, so far. the plastic corners are gone and they added the extra velcro to the bottom bar corners so there are 7 sections of velcro on that bar.
it's just like it used to be except with painted bars. there are 4 bars in all.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:46 AM »
Not trying to stir the pot, just suprised I haven't heard any talk on if shappell redesigned the fx100i for this year? I thought they were going to, I still won't be interested though. 

**edit for clarification

Sent you a msg

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #375 on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:37 AM »
it's been updated and now has old style tube frame painted black. dog leg bars are no longer if yours had them, so far. the plastic corners are gone and they added the extra velcro to the bottom bar corners so there are 7 sections of velcro on that bar.
it's just like it used to be except with painted bars. there are 4 bars in all.

Any idea if they are doing anything for the guys like myself that had the bad design? Wondering if Wandee is replying to emails, I never heard anything from the last few emails I had sent.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Oct 31, 2019, 01:10 AM »
Sorry guys, I typed that out to fast and should have been more clear.

I have NOT heard of any redesign and also not interested in one even if they did fix it. I was just suprised there hadn't been any talk on the shelter. And if shappel was redesigning it I would have expected to hear something by now  ???

I went the same route as the Dr. and picked up the same clam scout deal last spring, I think I will like it and very happy to have moved on.

Did you get my second msg?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #377 on: Oct 31, 2019, 02:09 PM »
Did you get my second msg?
Yeah sorry, haven't had time to look into it. I'll follow up this weekend and see.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I called eagle claw and they are making the fx100 i with one piece poles like the original first batch. They are not making them with the black plastic corners. They said have resolved all the issues with the fx100 i.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #379 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:39 AM »
i have the gen1 fx100i and it has galvanized conduit and no coating. gen3 fx100i uses same conduit frame as gen1, but has been powder coated black. also no more dog leg bars found on gen2 that had weak wind break mode brackets.

gen3

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #380 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:44 PM »
I am going to order one. I have the fx50 and its been great and plan on still using. I Want something similar so I can just swap things out on those colder days and load up the fx100i. I like to keep things as light as possible.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #381 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:19 PM »
I was apparently one of the lucky ones who got the old style tubing and first insulated cover. So far I'm happy with the fx100i that I got, but I wouldn't chance it at all anymore. An Eskimo Wide One Inferno would be my choice if I were buying a one man insulated today.

Same here, love mine

sunniewally

« Reply #382 on: Jan 17, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Just curious, but why do people prefer the flip over over the bay runner?? I love my bayrunner. stays so  nice inside being your totally enclosed and so easy to move, bench across the front for you buddy heater and depth finder that you really can just leave sit while you drill a couple holes and move.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #383 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Bayrunner is an interesting shelter - never was close to one.  I do like the idea of the one-man instant flip.  Quick to move and setup is just a quick flip.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #384 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Weight is a big issue for me. Plus the ease of hole hopping with the flip over. Also being very convertible with setting it up. On nice days you can leave it all the way down or set up in just the half wind breaker mode like the fx50.
When you leave your bay runner on windy days to drill more holes do you fold it down so it doesn't blow away. I always flip my fx50 down anytime I get off it so it won't blow away.

sunniewally

« Reply #385 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:37 PM »
with the snow and the weight of the buddy heater, depth finder, some fishing gear it is heavy enough most of the time. glare ice then I anchor it down if I have to. Rarely do I have to move. I fish pan fish and where I fish I know where they will be.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #386 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Just took delivery on my new fx100i.  Put it all together and everything went well. It is well built and very light. They definitely redesigned it and did away with the plastic corners. The locking mechanism is real heavy duty. I put it together in my living room. Then I had no trouble carrying it sideways out the door. I think there specs of 42 lbs is right on. My fx50 is supposed to be 27 lbs and they both have the same size tub. I do like the sliding bench seat. I already have a nice stadium seat on my fx50 that will fit right  on it. The only thing I will be carrying extra with the fx100 over my fx50 will be my buddy heater and some led lighting. So I am figuring I am only going to be 20 lbs total heavier over the fx50 total when they are loaded. I pull my sleds by hand all the time so hopefully that extra 20 won't be that bad. Time will tell. Plus loading in the back of my truck shouldn't be a problem. All in all I am very happy in the construction of the shelter. PS they still use the Velcro for closing up the skirt to the tub. Which works for me.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #387 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:51 PM »
i highly recommend their hy-fax runner kit. pulls much easier in slush and is quieter and saves the tub. shappells kits are best i have used. they are also reversible after they wear down on the bottom, just rotate them so the bottom is on the curved section.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #388 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:07 AM »
I have a set on order. Should be here before the weekend.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #389 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:31 AM »
if you haven't installed hy-fax, it is best to start on the first bolt on the curved section then go one by one til finished in the back. some heat them, but i never had to doing it this way. just double check where to start the first bolt by lining it up to the back of the tub so it ends up mostly flush with it then roll it over the curved section to find that starting point. you might want to use a marker to draw a start line in case you lose that spot, being slippery materials it is easy to do. making the holes so it starts up front and ends in the rear keeps it from being to loose against the tub.

i skip the outer runners because it's more of a D shape and the inner runners have flats to bolt to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.