Author Topic: Three Lakes one day... kokanee, rainbows and brookies  (Read 237 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict

I was out last Thursday from about 7am till 10:30 am on Edith Lake, 11:30am till 2pm on Stump Lake and then headed over to Kane Valley Road for the last light bite.  Plenty of good ice under foot still for safe ice travel. A little bit of shore melt started where people walk on the ice can be easily avoided.

As with the day prior, the kokanee were found deeper in the water column than I usually find them. I was fishing about 80 feet of water and fish were mostly coming through between 40 to 70 feet down. Having the Marcum M5 flasher sonar really helped to get the lure in front of fish scattered throughout the column.

Once the fish notice the falling spoon, they usually turn towards the spoon and rise to meet it. At this point is where the game begins. You may not have much success just wiggling it at the same level. They'll probably lose interest pretty quick.

If you aren't triggering bites, then try slowly lifting the jig away from the fish. This helps you feel the bite and causes a more likely instinct chase and bite response.

If they turn away and swim down, let the spoon drop again and see if they come back to repeat the process. Be ready for very quick, light takes.

Meal worms have worked really well for me as bait. I suspect you really don't need any other bait.

5 mm and 7 mm tungsten jigs work very well. @circle_tackle makes all sorts of sizes and colors. I like the pink or orange colors for kokanee. Tungsten jigs are great as they fall fast and don't get tangled in your flasher like a lighter fly or jig.

Some days, they do like the slower moving lure like a lighter fly or jig though. Just have to feel it out each day and adjust to the circumstances.

Surprisingly, some of the lakes that have been frozen the longest with snow cover only have 4 to 5 inches of ice. While others that froze more recently have 8 to 12 inches of ice with little snow cover.

So be careful out there, always take a little precaution while traveling on ice.

Thursday was a great day! I stayed overnight in Kamloops and hit Edith Lake first thing in the morning. I arrived shortly after 7am and had the lake to myself. While only 15 minutes from Kamloops it tends to not be crazy pressured fishing unless you show up on weekends.

The fish have seen a lot of lures, I'm sure, and the bigger fish can be tricky to fool into biting.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but since I had the lake to myself, I chose a spot I had never fished before. I drilled holes from 20 to 5 feet deep along a shoreline with rocks. When I hit the 7 to 8 foot hole, I knew I was in for something good because before I had my hook down, I saw three marks go by.

I set up the jigging Jaw jacker, and right away, it went off. I caught several smaller brook trout and rainbows. Kept two lovely Pennask bows around 17 inches long. The limit for rainbows is only 2 on this lake. I imagine this helps with population numbers since it's close to town.

I then had a big hit on the jigging Jaw jacker when I was packing up to leave to the next lake after 3 hours of fishing. The rod cranked over, and the line was peeling out. I ran over and landed a beautiful specimen. A fat Pennask. I let her go and finished packing up to head to Stump Lake for Lake, NO. 2.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
Re: Three Lakes one day... kokanee, rainbows and brookies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2024, 10:29 AM »
Great day of fishing. Your set up works really well.
Master Laker taker.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2024, 08:19 PM »
Nice work on getting the trifecta of fishing three lakes. Nice tips and using the blade flasher.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2024, 09:19 PM »
Thanks guys... here is one last one.

eature=shared
What Bait Works Best for Kokanee Ice Fishing, is the question I get very often, so I thought I would try out the three baits I had while fishing STUMP Lake near Merritt BC on this outing.
I know guys are into their use of Corn, but I never use it and always seem to catch plenty of kokanee. 
The three baits I use ice fishing were Meal Worms, Night Crawlers and Salt Cured Shrimp.
While night crawlers only caught trout, the kokanee didn't seem to anxious to hit it. 
The meal worms created great results as usual and the shrimp also was a favorite of the kokanee and the rainbow trout.
While I do very well catching brook trout and rainbow trout with Night Crawlers I have not had any luck on Kokanee using them. 
If you have caught kokanee on night crawlers let me know.  Any other bait you like using for kokanee?
I hope you enjoyed watching this video.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.