Author Topic: Using a tip up for catfish?  (Read 6138 times)

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Using a tip up for catfish?
« on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Has any one tried this? Did it work?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Using a tip up for catfish?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:56 AM »
No reason they wouldn't work.

WS

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:08 PM »
i tried it last weekend and got three flags, my problem was i wasn't paying terribly close attention, so i missed all three.

i'd advise on investing in some circle hooks, it seemed like they would pick it up, swim for about 10 yards or so, then drop it.

my rig was a heavy jig on on the bottom with two wide-gap hooks set above, with a foot between each. all baited with cutbait.

you might also try half a nightcrawler or a hook packed full of waxworms.

Offline Ice-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I've had pretty good luck using cut bait, circle hooks and the rubber band trick.  I fish a couple of feet off of the bottom and set it so they would run 3 or 4 feet before hitting the rubber band.

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:56 PM »
We've been doing well using night crawlers. Haven't been able to try anything else yet, but plan on doing so.

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline SkyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Reel Men Do It On The Ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:37 PM »
The lake I mostly fish (Lake North) has a huge population of catfish. I can catch about a dozen plus on a good night. I use Frabill Arctic Fire tip ups and HT Polar tip-ups with Suffix metered 15lb tip-up line with a swivel into 6lb bionic braid. I use Custom Jigs & Spins "online special" glow orange demon with a minnow. I do most of my fishing at night and tip up lights are a great investment!! I fish out of a 1 man Clam Kenai and the windows are perfect eye level. I've caught walleye, crappie, perch, catfish and northern pike all on this set up.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:03 PM »
i'm gonna go ahead and throw a recommendation for dawg bone tipups in here, i know cats bit Very light in winter, and might only move a couple of feet after taking a bait. the dawg bone tipups are far more sensitive than most other commercial tipups (i had several flags get tripped by dink perch on the lightest trigger) however, i wouldn't recommend them for larger cats (bigger than 5 lbs) since they're sized for 8 inch holes.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:11 AM »
My tipup rig is the same for walleye and cats.  5' leader of 8lb Floro line with a #8 Circle hook.  For the cats I hook a fathead minnow under the dorsal fin inline with the body.  Then put on the ice & step on it, then down the hole.  I use my Vexilar to set the depth, just inches off the bottom.  Works good for me. 

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:39 PM »
been target and catching cat pretty regularly on the tipups this season.

my rig is 2' of 8 lb test mono with a #6 octopus hook on the bottom and a #8 circle hook a foot up from that, then a 1/8 oz. egg sinker on the mainline. interestingly enough, most of the cats we caught have hit on the top hook.

i'm gonna pick up more circle hooks this week, since most of mine are size 14 or 4 :/ i intend to replace the octopus hooks with the circles.

a quick note, when it comes to bat i've had the best success with cutbait, and in winter it seems that less is more. a 2" long strip of cutbait might seem small, but it's just too big for wintertime cats. the best success i've had is with 1/2" squares or 1" sections of nightcrawler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.