Author Topic: Looking for a new smoker.  (Read 6826 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking for a new smoker.
« on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:42 AM »
I have an entry level Smoke Hollow smoker. After 4 years it is falling apart. Garage kept. I like the electric smokers. Do any of you have a favorite smoker. Price is a consideration. So is durability. Temperature control. I mostly do ribs, chickens, and turkeys. Although I have smoked fish. Thanks for any feed back Charlie.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for a new smoker.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:45 AM »
I have an electric Masterbuilt that has been a good unit.  It maintains temp level well and does an overall good job.  Good luck with your research and new purchase..

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:49 AM »
For years I used a tabletop Bradley that I bought as a closeout for something like $60.  Last month while smoking some salmon the bisquitte burner died and I called Bradley for a replacement. They told me no parts were available, and they had problems with the tabletops so they discontinued them. However they were giving a full credit towards a new smoker if I ordered one from them. 3 days later I got my new digital smoker for $250 delivered, so if you're looking for a great smoker that's easy to use and has the customer service behind it, I'd recommend a Bradley.

Offline crappieslayer56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:56 AM »
I also have a masterbuilt that I use a lot' and it has served me well. I smoke a lot of northern pike on this smoker and it always turns out great!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I have the Masterbuilt 30" Analog.  Had this unit for 10 years now.  Used quite a bit and still no issues.  I got the analog because I want the basics for smoking.  I didn't see the need for added electronics.  Some guys I know like the digital - set the temp and forget it.  If you are looking for a smoker, I would highly recommend the Masterbuilt brand.  Size depends on what you want to smoke and how much at a time.  Regular dinner, pork roast, ribs small brisket etc - 30".  If you are looking at mass quantities at a time, then I would recommend the 40". 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2016, 12:31 PM »
I have the Bradley 4 rack electric/digital smoker.  Its pretty much a set it an forget it setup.  About every 3+ hours you should check the bowl to empty the spent briquettes and add water.  I think I got mine for around $279 shipped from amazon.  I see cabelas has its for $299 right now and you can apply the $10 off/$75 coupons if you have one.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/BRADLEY-DIGITAL-SMOKERS/1664759.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dbradley%2Bsmoker%26CQ_st%3Db

You can go through the briquettes as each one = 20 minutes of smoke time so a brisket can take almost a small box, but I would suggest buying the larger quantity boxes or a variety to see what flavor you like.  I personally mix them depending on the meat.  I check cabelas all the time for pricing as I have found them up to 50% off during the winter/early spring.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2016, 02:49 PM »
Not wanting to hijack this post, but have you considered a stick burner? BBQ at its finest if you have the desire to learn. Something about spending the day around the smelly pit throwing back cold ones anxiously awaiting your prize result. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the "easy bake oven", but the art of BBQ is self satisfaction, and not to mention your guests will be begging for more! Good luck with your search and smoke on!!! 
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Smoke Vault is the bomb.  Used it for over 5 yrs now.  Easy to keep temperature.
Four hours at 250 Degrees for slabs and slabs of ribs, even several salmon fillets (1 hr).  Comes out melting in your mouth.

http://www.campchef.com/smoke-vault-24.html

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:15 PM »
bradley for set and forget,.i made a goliath size smoker out of a old metal fridge. it uses a electric burner that has a adjustable thermostat with a wood/chip pan on top and can run low temp up to around 225.its pretty much a big  insulated Bradley.but I still like old stick burners the best and am building one of those next.the little round ones don't hold enough meat or fish.i do have a weber charcoal/wood smoker and a masterbuilt that does a good job.check out the ugly drum smoker a 22 inch weber grill top and grates fit right on/ in a 55 gallon drum.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:31 PM »
yep the old man loves his bradley.  fool proof!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I'm now cooking with a 22 Weber Smokey Mountain.  Love it and anxious to do a Turkey on it this week.  But I would also recommend you check out a thing called the Pit Barrel Cooker which I had used for 3 years before I splurged for the WSM.  Didn't have room/need for both so I took to the PBC to my little sister on our last visit this summer to her cottage in Wisconsin .  PBC is a great company started by some vets here in CO and is making a name for itself on the competition Q-circuit down south.  Affordable and available on Amazon with numerous videos on youtube.  WSM is great for low/slow on big cuts like butts/brisket but the PBC cooks a bit hotter and is great for wings, thighs, baby backs and the other smaller cuts. 

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:59 PM »
A friend has a webber 22" with a slow n' sear. Awesome for smoking and indirect cooking. Does a great job reverse searing rib eyes also. Highly recomended. Another friend made his own smoker out of a 55 gal drum, has 2 22" webber grates. Smokes a lot of food!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:35 AM »
I use a Weber Kettle as well for smoking, I am on my 5th one....I hold temps fine, it smokes great, I love it and I smoke all year long in Colorado....I never worry about a long smoke and losing power (it has happened to friends of mine)...

I have looked at stick burners, gravity feed, electric etc....they all have their pluses and minuses....but for my taste, the Weber is simply perfect....

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2016, 04:51 PM »
The wife got me one of the new Camp Chef SmokePro units for my birthday this year. It's awesome. Easy to use, great temp probe feature, and can be used to grill too.....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Wife got me a Masterbuilt 30" digital smoker in March. It does a good job once it is seasoned up a bit. I have found it is great for cold smoking low temp.  things like cheese. I don't get the smoke ring penetration in brisket or pork loin like i used to get out of my grandpas old pit, but it does a nice job for what it is and how much less work it is. I have read that smoking in cold temperatures with the electric smokers helps them put out more smoke so we will see this winter.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Bought a Vision Classic from Sam's Club this spring and love it.  It is a kamado style grill/smoker that is similar to a Big Green Egg.  I can smoke ribs, brisket or butts on Friday, cook pizza on Saturday and grill steaks on Sunday.  After a few runs, I was able to set the upper and lower vents and get the temps I needed.  I can now set them at 275 and walk away.  Paid about $400 and it should last me a lifetime.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Just picked up a Masterbuilt 30" digital smoker. Looking forward to using it. Question??

Who here leaves their smoker out in the elements all year?

If you do so, which cover do you use?

I really don't have a choice, and will need to leave mine outside, and I'm looking for a good cover (not the cheap plastic ones)
that will keep the unit nice and dry.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Just picked up a Masterbuilt 30" digital smoker. Looking forward to using it. Question??

Who here leaves their smoker out in the elements all year?

If you do so, which cover do you use?

I really don't have a choice, and will need to leave mine outside, and I'm looking for a good cover (not the cheap plastic ones)
that will keep the unit nice and dry.
I leave my stick burners outside but they rust out real fast.they make decent covers for them but id clean it up and stick it in a closet when not using it or you wont get many years out of it.i bring my Bradley in the house even tho  theres no room for it.haha

Offline bryanl87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Check out RecTec Grills. If you're looking for a pellet smoker, I can't say enough good stuff about this company!

Offline Junior48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2016, 03:40 PM »
I have really enjoyed my Green Mountain Grill Davey Crocket. You can smoke and grill off it. 12V operated so you can plug it into your truck cigarette lighter outlet. But it does come with a converter to 110V. I have had it for just over 2 years held together really well. Don't have to baby sit it, just make sure it doesn't run out of pellets.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Green-Mountain-Grills-Davy-Crockett-Portable-Pellet-Grill-Wifi-Edition/productDetail/Green-Mountain-Grill-Holiday-Sale/prod99999041040/cat134001

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:23 AM »
I love my Bradley electric smoker.  like anything it takes time to get it down but I do everything, ham, bacon, wings, pork shoulder beef. heck I even raised pigs last year cause I like my smoker so much!   possibilities are endless.
Harry

Offline Jaysrig

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HUSKER Nation on hard water GBR!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:58 AM »
I really enjoyed my Masterbuilt if I'm going with electric. Pretty much a set-it-and-forget-it type deal, I leave mine outside year round and it doesn't seem to be any worse for wear. Enjoy and have fun.
Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory!

Offline Monte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:42 PM »
I am going to second the Green Mountain Grill, Davy Crocket. I have one and actually have given them to my family as gifts. The portability, versatility are incredible. I would probably starve without it.
Monte

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2016, 01:02 PM »
MASTERBUILT Don't listen to the rest of the jibberish. Masterbuilt is the only way to go.

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12:10 PM »
I have had good luck with my Bradley 6 rack, great for cold smoking cheese. Also great for duck, ham, and all tasty meats
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline Thinice61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:04 PM »
Master built  best results  with anything  I tried  in it

Offline mikemc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:08 PM »
I have used a Weber smokey mountain for years. works great. Most anything works. and there's a learning curve to anything you use but the Weber is a quality product and easy to use

Offline JOHNKNEEGEEZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:03 PM »
I have a 18-1/2" Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker with an IQ110 thermostat and I love it.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys!  ;D Seems Master built is getting the nod.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:32 PM »
Wise choice.  Now - what size are you going with? 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.