Author Topic: Navionics for my Droid  (Read 3421 times)

Offline MI Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Navionics for my Droid
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Have it on my iPhone, shows really good contour maps for about 90% of the lakes by me.
I also bought the Cabelas recon fish app. Contour maps are bad, not nearly as detailed.
GOT'EM!!

Offline ilovefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:50 AM »
Too bad it is not compatible with my Nexus 7.  I do have it on my Droid X phone, but the larger screen would be nice!

Another thing to keep in mind.... some phones have satellite GPS receivers in them.  Make sure if you have that option, to turn it on.  Much more accurate than cell triangulation.  Also works with no cell signal.

not compatible with my Nexus 7? Is it ? I was about to go for it until I saw this! I have flytomap on my iPhone and its awesome comparing price and quality! But heard Navionics is great for android. anyone using flytomap for android? haven't heard much about it.

What's the compatibility issue with Navionics on Nexus 7?
"Los Angeles' full name is "El pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula.""

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2012, 05:20 AM »
is their a list phones that can be checked to see if compatible for navionics

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2012, 05:30 AM »
is their a list phones that can be checked to see if compatible for navionics

There is a list at the end of the program description on the Play Store.  It shows phones they have certified to work with Navionics.  My phone isn't on that list (Motorola Electrify)  but it works fine for me.  It's not very up to date as far as I can tell, most phones on that list are at least 1 generation old.

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Just talked with Goggle play and I just reinstalled it and it works fine.
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:12 AM »
Just DL'd the app. It looks like it is well worth the ten bucks there are a few of my local lakes that are not on it. The crazy thing is they are the largest lakes in my area? Most of the small lakes are though. Thanks for the Tip on the App!!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:40 AM »
One thing I did notice is that the version I have (Lakes: US North v5.3.1) is no longer supported and I have to go download a new/different version (Marine&Lakes:USA).  For the $10, it is worth doing so....going to do that now.   I was looking in the App Store and noticed it is $50 on my iPAD and $10 for iPhone.

MN DNR has free app (not very good, but is free to download).
I've had to factory reset my droid 2 global a few times and if you go into "market", "my apps", you should be able to find a "purchased" screen and download the app again and again if you have to. I am kind of wondering if I would be able to download it again with my current account if I decide to stay with the cell service I have now and upgrade phones. With that said, it was well worth the $9.99 I paid...I WOULD pay the fee again for the app if I switched cell carriers!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #37 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:42 AM »
What kind of GPS marking is available on this app, can you mark a get back to it within 3 feet or so?

Edit: Downloaded and then promptly requested refund, this app was a huge disapointment for Saskatchewan, lots of major lakes not covered, and lakes like Tobin & LML the maps are aweful little to no detail at all, needless to say I won't be using this unless there were drastic updated to the province.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2012, 05:16 PM »
http://www.navionics.com/mobile-pc-app

Go to this website and click the coverage tab to see lakes that are included.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 05, 2012, 05:33 PM »
http://www.navionics.com/mobile-pc-app

Go to this website and click the coverage tab to see lakes that are included.

Even lakes that are included in SK the detail is aweful!

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:53 AM »
not compatible with my Nexus 7? Is it ? I was about to go for it until I saw this! I have flytomap on my iPhone and its awesome comparing price and quality! But heard Navionics is great for android. anyone using flytomap for android? haven't heard much about it.

What's the compatibility issue with Navionics on Nexus 7?
I have not been able to find out why, but I chcked again and still not compatible.  I am far from giving up on this, but have no answer as of yet.

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 07, 2012, 11:47 AM »
How many NE lakes are on this? Usually if you buy one of the big fish finder company's mapping products like that there are only like 1 or 2 NE maps on it.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline quigley257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2012, 06:45 PM »
I don't know if many new users are aware that once you download the app, you have to actually select(drag an outline box over) the areas where you want to fish, then it will download detailed maps for that area. If you don't do this, you won't see much of anything for detail. The app would be way too huge if it kept all areas at full resolution.
Say when...

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Sooooo can someone with it show me what the high resolution map looks like for Tobin Lake in Saskatchewan and post up a screen shot?

Trooper Bri

« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I bought a Galaxy S3 last month, and this was the 1'st app in. 10 bucks is a bargain. So far all I mapped was an area slightly larger than CT and included NYC. Think it was 50mb of data, that on top of the 30mb app if I remember. 

Being near the shore makes it a bonus. It also has tide charts mapped in a waveform (no pun intended). I've seen discussions on other sites about recreational fishermen using a tablet and this app on their boat as a navi. But how much for a tablet with GPS, or 3 and 4G capability?

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I bought a Galaxy S3 last month, and this was the 1'st app in. 10 bucks is a bargain. So far all I mapped was an area slightly larger than CT and included NYC. Think it was 50mb of data, that on top of the 30mb app if I remember. 

Being near the shore makes it a bonus. It also has tide charts mapped in a waveform (no pun intended). I've seen discussions on other sites about recreational fishermen using a tablet and this app on their boat as a navi. But how much for a tablet with GPS, or 3 and 4G capability?

All tablets are wifi enabled, and most smartphones are capable of being a wifi hotspot so really you could by say the Nexus 7 for $250 and you have a 7" screen to work off of.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Not many hot spots on lakes and 1/8 mile offshore. And I don't believe you can triangulate using Wifi alone anyways.

Finding a used tablet with GPS or 3/4G probably isn't tough though. 

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Not many hot spots on lakes and 1/8 mile offshore. And I don't believe you can triangulate using Wifi alone anyways.

Finding a used tablet with GPS or 3/4G probably isn't tough though.

I meant turn you phone into a hot spot, if you have service it can be done, and the Nexus 7 has GPS.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:17 AM »
All tablets are wifi enabled, and most smartphones are capable of being a wifi hotspot so really you could by say the Nexus 7 for $250 and you have a 7" screen to work off of.

Still no fix to get the app to work on my Nexus7.... I wish there was!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #49 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:25 AM »
How many NE lakes are on this? Usually if you buy one of the big fish finder company's mapping products like that there are only like 1 or 2 NE maps on it.

Let me know which lakes you want to know about and I'll check.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:01 AM »

Well I know Tobin lake is covered so show me what that looks like, I know when I downloaded the app I looked at Tobin and the detail was junk, maybe I was doing something wrong???

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Still no fix to get the app to work on my Nexus7.... I wish there was!

That sucks, I have one on the way and if I every wanted to have it on the option would be nice. Hopefully they find a fix.

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:49 AM »

Wagon Train, Wildwood, Branched Oak, Connestoga, Yankee Hill, pretty much most of the lakes/reservoirs in SE Nebraska. Most of the time those apps will only have a few lakes such as Maconaghey, Calamus, Merrit....bigger NE lakes.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #53 on: Nov 11, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Wagon Train, Wildwood, Branched Oak, Connestoga, Yankee Hill, pretty much most of the lakes/reservoirs in SE Nebraska. Most of the time those apps will only have a few lakes such as Maconaghey, Calamus, Merrit....bigger NE lakes.

All of the lakes you listed are available.  Even twin lakes.  One disappointment is Wanahoo, it must be too new.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 15, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Purchased the mobile app for 'droid and downloaded a local lake. Very nice for the $10.36 and better than the $14.95 map I purchased a few years back. Now I went to DL another nearby lake and the 'Download Map' button doesn't activate. I can't find any info on why  it's doing so, or a decent tutorial guide for the app. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:10 PM »
I bought both....lake maps north and lake maps u.s.
I like North better. all lakes are there. There is over 1100 Wisconsin lakes alone, not to mention, MN, MI, IA, ND,SD.

The GPS is pretty dang accurate...within a few yards...BFD? Lake contours are accurate depending on lake levels of course...as many Northern WI lakes are low right now. 

NOTE: GPS Eats batteries! bring a charger for your phone. I got a cigarette lighter adapter with clips to clip on my Vexilar battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.