Author Topic: UTV suggestions needed  (Read 1269 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
UTV suggestions needed
« on: Sep 20, 2022, 01:57 PM »
I am interested in getting a UTV for ice fishing and chores around the farm , I have watched many many videos and learned alot about them , I seem to be leaning towards the polaris ranger570 sp , I have an older honda 3 wheeler that has been great but the cost of parts for its age will make it a spare unit , that being said I might look at honda for asl ong as the 3 wheeler has lasted,any suggestions and advice would be appreciated .   THANKKS

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: UTV suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2022, 02:13 PM »
what dealers are near you? how long do you want to wait? I'd answer those two questions fist. If I was buying new it'd be can am or honda

Catchin' Fish

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2022, 07:43 PM »
I just have a deposit down on a cfmoto uforce 1000xl. Went with this one for the price and options that it comes with, just waiting for it to come in, since the first salesman lied and oversold, but that is my issue. They are coming out with the backdoor soon I hope but I like I can get into one with all the cab enclosed for about 12 thousand cheaper than any other unit with the same options and it sounds like around me it takes at least a year to get any Polaris or Can AM utv in, kawasaki and Honda do not sound any better as none of them I talked to could give me a time frame as to get one in.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2022, 07:33 AM »
I nuisance trap a high fence property where I use their 570's - impressive where those things will go.  These units get an annual inspection/tune-up and other than a battery going bad on one of them I've not experienced anything negative.  The one's I have been using are the 4-seaters and are 2010-12 models. 

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2022, 11:06 AM »
I am not sure where you live, but UTVs are the next heaviest thing after full sized cars. You need to have a way to transport them to the lake, and then you may need chains or tracks to move around depending on how much snow you deal with. If you are getting it for work and will use it for as much ice fishing as it will do, that is one thing, but if you are wanting to get it for fishing and use work as a justification, make sure that a UTV works well in all conditions you need to fish in. They struggle about half the time where I fish, and are always the first to go through the ice. ( We never get enough ice for trucks or permanent shanties)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2022, 12:41 PM »
We just got a new 22 ranger sp 570.i like the smaller size.supposedly fits in the back of a full size truck.it has all kinds of power and i already bought chains for the rear tires if needed.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2022, 03:05 PM »
Doc if you'll be using that on the ice this year I'm anxious to hear what you think.  Seems like a nice setup but I'm just not 100% confident yet about how any of them will do in snow and slush.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2022, 08:08 AM »
I just have a deposit down on a cfmoto uforce 1000xl. Went with this one for the price and options that it comes with, just waiting for it to come in, since the first salesman lied and oversold, but that is my issue. They are coming out with the backdoor soon I hope but I like I can get into one with all the cab enclosed for about 12 thousand cheaper than any other unit with the same options and it sounds like around me it takes at least a year to get any Polaris or Can AM utv in, kawasaki and Honda do not sound any better as none of them I talked to could give me a time frame as to get one in.

I have heard and read that replacement parts have been difficult to get on the imported units and quality has been questionable (I know, not what you wanted to hear).  My next side by side will be a BRP, they seem to be a little better built than my full-size Ranger.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2022, 08:30 AM »
One thing i can not stand about our brand new ranger sp 570 with 26hrs on it is the loose clicking brake pads.i adjusted them tight and loose and they still make noises on a trail.its because the pad pin holes are oval and slide on round caliper pins.i see the fix is shims or springs between the pads like on the ev ranger.guess the ev ranger is so quite you hear all the noises they make.theres a million threads on the web about polaris clicking brake pad problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.