Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Who's trapping bait?

(1/2) > >>

9huskies:
I buried my in-ground bait tank today and filled it with lake water. Tomorrow I'll throw some traps in my favorite blacknose dace pond. The plan is to catch enough bait  by Friday to last through the winter. I'm anxious to get on the ice.

rdhammah:
how deep is your tank? anything special you have to do for it? heater? cover? location? aerator/filter? etc

9huskies:
I use a 20 gallon plastic tub buried up to the rim. The bottom is about 2 feet below ground level. I made a 4'X4' cover that's insulated with 2 inches of foam. It has a door to get to the tank. The closest it comes to freezing is a 1/8" skin of ice. I don't use an aerator because pumping 0 degree bubbles into it chilled the water enough to freeze.
When I used to dip smelt in the spring I was able to keep them alive until late July in the same setup.

800stealth:

--- Quote from: 9huskies on Oct 12, 2021, 11:52 AM ---I use a 20 gallon plastic tub buried up to the rim. The bottom is about 2 feet below ground level. I made a 4'X4' cover that's insulated with 2 inches of foam. It has a door to get to the tank. The closest it comes to freezing is a 1/8" skin of ice.

--- End quote ---

I like that, thanks for sharing.

Seamonkey84:
Anyone here ever get any red belly dace? Or fathead minnows?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version