Author Topic: Perch Egg Culinary Query...  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Perch Egg Culinary Query...
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:53 AM »
Hey ALL, Finally got a good spot for these guys and girls up here in Maine. I love the eggs. Usually split the skein and roll in corn meal or the like. You folks have any other favorite recipes? I’ve been thinking maybe like fritters after removing the skein. Maybe like a perch egg hash kinda thing. Any culinary delights you might share??? Thanks!

For the fillets, one  favorite  method, poor mans shrimp!  Fried is good! sautéed with butter and light spicing works! So does baked with crab stuffing and garlic white sauce! Getting hungry!

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Perch Egg Culinary Query...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:07 AM »
good eats

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Nice eats. That Slaw caught my eye and made my mouth water. Will make tonight. Don’t know how but it looked extra Tangy. What’s your recipe if you don’t mind?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Nice eats. That Slaw caught my eye and made my mouth water. Will make tonight. Don’t know how but it looked extra Tangy. What’s your recipe if you don’t mind?
The Cocktail sauce, right? If so, 1 cup catsup. 3 BIG tablespoons horseradish, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and about an ounce of Jamaican Jerk sauce and juice of 1/2 small lemon. All this is more or less sorta kinda, but close. It’s different a little every time I make it, depending on what hot sauce catches my eye when I open the fridge. The first 5 ingredients are standard. Take it form there!  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:17 PM »
 Does seem like a waste to throw out all those eggs, I've never tried them but I'll try anything once. We've been enjoying a lot of perch tacos this winter!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:33 PM »
I have eaten egg sacks it’s a decent flavor but it’s also a texture thing that puts most people off

Offline pipefitter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • retirement = 7 Saturday's a week
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:12 PM »
My late mother would rather have the fried perch eggs then the fish it's self. but also ate the fish I never got the taste for them myself.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:21 PM »
My late mother would rather have the fried perch eggs then the fish it's self. but also ate the fish I never got the taste for them myself.
My dad liked the row , I eat a few a year just pan fried in butter ,
  I prefer the fillets myself

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:32 PM »
taste like fish flavored grits and eggs

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:26 PM »
Thanks Clam farmer. I’m going to do that, good ingredients and sounds good. But I don’t see the post now after the move but someone after your initial post had photos of fillets and a bowl of COLE SLAW that I was inquiring about recipe. Was it Trapper or Dacker? Don’t remember. But I will be making that Cocktail sauce, thanks again.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2021, 04:47 AM »
Thanks Clam farmer. I’m going to do that, good ingredients and sounds good. But I don’t see the post now after the move but someone after your initial post had photos of fillets and a bowl of COLE SLAW that I was inquiring about recipe. Was it Trapper or Dacker? Don’t remember. But I will be making that Cocktail sauce, thanks again.
  Hey Jignut, There wasn’t any COLE SLAW. Hmmmm Maybe you were looking at the poor man’s shrimp? You can see the pics on the Maine page.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2021, 04:59 AM »

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2021, 06:04 AM »
Oh and CF the roe gets tied into big egg sacks for summer cat fishing... ;)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:30 AM »
My paternal great-grandmother loved the egg skeins from bluegills. Whenever we went fishing, after we were done cleaning, we had to take the walk down the street to her house with an ice filled bowl containing the precious delectables. For her it was simple: butter, salt and pepper.

Last week I revisited the egg curiosity again. When cleaning pike, the egg skeins are really impressive. Many years ago I tried making some "caviar". Those were pre-internet days so I no recipe, no guidance, just the seat of my pants. The result of that was extremely salty and quite fishy tasting. The lasted attempt brined eggs only a few minutes and rinsed well before storing. Still salty, but not even close to the first time and very mild tasting in an interesting way. As they sit in the jar, fishy flavor grows but a quick rinse washes that away. I did one skein and got through most of it before I lost interest. I think it's just fine as a novelty, say appetizer or a garnish for something (think about the roe they use on sushi) but not on a regular basis and not a lot at one time.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:36 PM »
THERE it is. COLE SLAW Pics. It was Rdacker. Mr. dacker, would you mind sharing your slaw recipe?
Also, Anyone have a good oven recipe for WHOLE Perch. I’ve scaled and baked a couple times but never had that meat fall off the bones and pull the skeleton out One piece looking like a cartoon with the salivating cat. Skin and bones adding flavor to the fish like other species. Thanks. Getting hungry.🍻

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2021, 04:21 PM »
JNut hate to put this out there and ruin my culinary talents but it’s a bag of coleslaw mix and a bottle of Kraft coleslaw dressing from the grocery store...   :-\   With some chopped up fresh pineapple in it.    ;)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:14 PM »
OK, as long as I'm not steppin' on anyone's toes...

I love coleslaw. It's dirt easy. To be clear: my Mom makes a clear slaw which I will call cole slaw. Anything with a creamy dressing (that I prefer) I differentiate by calling it "cabbage salad", simply because the base is "salad dressing" aka "mayo". this recipe has served me well. Over time I've made some adjustments. The balance of sweet and acid is critical to your appreciation of the dressing. Different strokes for different folks. It's really pretty basic and you can bend it sweeter or tarter at you discretion. Might take some experimentation. The dressing part is highlighted. Often I cheese out and but a bag of pre-shredded cabbage and stuff and simply apply the dressing. After all, that really is the magic, isn't it?

Classic Creamy Coleslaw

INGREDIENTS:

3 large heads cabbage, shredded

3 large carrots, shredded

2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing Yep.

1 cup sugar - too sweet use ½ cup

1/4 cup white vinegar – ½ vinegar and ½ lemon juice (or all lemon juice - try the Minute Maid frozen fresh juice  ;))

2 tablespoons celery seed – 1 Tbsp is plenty

1 tablespoon salt Yep.

2 teaspoons garlic powder Yep.

DIRECTIONS:

In several large bowls, combine the cabbage and carrots. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir into the cabbage mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Toss before serving.

Notes: This recipe very nearly fills a regular size mayonnaise jar. On 04/30/13 I added 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice.

Note: 03/03/2017 I’ve come to the conclusion this recipe is too “sweet” for me as is. I used up most of the old stuff by cutting it with almost an additional amount of mayo. It was still very flavorful and very good. For this recipe I used half the sugar, just the ¼ cup of acid but split it ½ and ½ vinegar and lemon juice. I also cut the celery seed in half, there was a ton in there and a Tbsp is still plenty. I left the salt and garlic where it was. 

I usually just make up a batch of dressing and keep it in a mayonnaise jar in the fridge until it’s needed. Very easy to be lazy and buy a bag of pre-shredded cabbage for cheap. Mix in dressing until it’s like you like it and let it sit for an hour or two. EZPZ…
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:53 PM »
Thanks Dack, I wasnt even aware store boughten slaw dressing was out there. Going to pick some up. I’ve tried powder mix and experimented on my own but not great. Deli slaw is hit and miss mostly misses.
Will definitely be mixing up some Esox sauce too. I’ve not used lemon or sugar before, Duh. I’ll even get some of that there celery seed :) Thanks guys.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:02 AM »
Sounds good esox.

Offline VERN-O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:19 PM »
I grew up eating the perch egg sacks...and absolutely love them...rolled in flour S&P and fry
Anyone eat the fried perch tails?....like a crunchy potato chip

Offline Dawn Breaks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:22 PM »
Coleslaw is not coleslaw without caraway seeds IMHO.  Let it sit in the fridge for a day or two to meld those flavors!!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2021, 10:54 PM »
Noted. Quest for the best slaw.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:27 PM »
I gave some perch egg sacs to my chickens and they wouldn’t even eat them.  No offense, but I’ll pass as well. 

Offline Dawn Breaks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:36 PM »
I gave some perch egg sacs to my chickens and they wouldn’t even eat them.  No offense, but I’ll pass as well.
My chickens eat it all except the head, tail and spine.  Good protein this time of year.  I feed them a fair amount of my racks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.