South Dakota > Ice Fishing South Dakota

Guided fishing.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Buckshots:
Quam is an awesome guide. I would recommend him but the others are great as well. Most of them have a two day minimum. That is because people come up with groups and one or two will go with a guide for the day and then bring all their friends and fish that spot the rest of the trip. Good way to piss off a guide.

IceAddict87:
Ive talked to several guides and the standard rate for a tag along is around $125. Like i said we have all the gear and we are all experienced fishermen but knowing where they are biting would be a plus. We will find them it might just take a little extra time. Some of the guys coming up later in the week are getting a guide for a day so hopefully they can soak up some of the guides knowledge. Most of them are pretty casual ice fishermen so they might not pay attention.

mbaiter:
I'm not a fan of guides because more than once we have had guides(one mentioned on the thread) park their pickups within 10 yards of our pickup and then call after they got fish and half hour later 12 pickups were there.  Their are some very shady guides now that just want to make a quick buck.  If you are still thinking of doing a guide, i would tell your buddies to chip in for 1 person to get guided and then just text your buddies where the fish are.  In my opinion guides are a waste of money unless you are in Alaska or the mountains.  Best route is talk to the bait shops.  Or be adventurous and find the spot yourself.

ice dawg:
My suggestion would be to look for the crowd on the ice. My son was in Minnesota visiting relatives last weekend and said when he was driving back home there were so many wheel houses coming here they looked like a train on the highway. I think they stay pretty mobile until they land on the fish.

rundrave:
 I think many of you guys are over thinking this. These lakes in SD are mostly basins with not much structure. And if there is structure the fish don't hold to that structure, they roam and move around and so should you. Go by some scoops of minnows and drill and drill until you find fish.

Its going to be awful out there after this cold spell that finally made good ice with warmer temps coming.  With not a lot of snow cover to restrict access the thundering herds are going to be everywhere. It may be best to just sit and wait for everyone else to push the fish to you. Its going to be a zoo out there on some of these lakes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version