Author Topic: Hole Covers ?  (Read 4574 times)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hole Covers ?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I went to ocean state job lot ( a box store ) and bought a puzzle piece fatigue mat ( for like standing in front of a workbench ) for $8.00 . It comes with 4  - 2.5 X 2.5 foot pieces . That was enough for 8 hole covers using a bucket as an outline . Mark the center and make the hole about 1.5 inches in diameter and cut a line to the outside from there.
When I use them they are fantastic and keep the holes very ice free.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:49 PM »
OK, despite the fact that this topic has been covered in depth an number of times I'm diving back in. (Like how I did that.... covered?)

Forget the "insulation" part. I know, your brain says I have to insulate the open water from the way below zero ambient temperature. Mine did too until I got frustrated, lazy and cheap.

I was using square carpet samples, free to me, rubber backed and pretty effective. I got tired of how hooks got snagged all the time, especially when I put 'em in the bucket with my tippys. On a lark, I cut some big squares of inner tube I picked up off the highway.

Here's what I've found: Guaranteed not to get snagged. Takes up basically zero space where ever you choose to stow them. Won't freeze down or fly away. Act as phenomenal solar collectors on sunny days to the point where water that collects on top remains unfrozen in single digit ambient temps. Did I say cheap? Well then, cheap.

I've said this so many times, in so many threads and all I get is advanced physicists and meteorologists saying it's not thick enough to insulate well.

I DARE anyone to try this. Really. Double dog dare.....anyone. Geez. It's too easy and too cheap and too easy. Did I say too easy?

Sigh.... Anyone that takes the dare and give them a shake for the season will be amazed at the effectiveness and simplicity. Simple is better. Try not to over-complicate things.

At least I've held it to commenting on one thread a year.... ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I will take you up on that suggestion as soon as I can find some inner tube!  thx
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:02 PM »
lugging 12-15 of those on the lake would be absurd.

They fold up flat and fit into a 5 gallon bucket and the propane mantle hangs on the edge of the bucket. They also make carrying bags for them.  All aluminum. They dont weight much. Honestly my pack basket full of 32 in Jack Traps probably weighs more.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:52 PM »
How many lines can you have?

We can only have 2 or three over here.

Most bodies of water 8
Few "trophy" lakes 4
Champlain 15
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2017, 04:20 PM »
I agree any shallow holes i use are covered to keep light out

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:13 AM »
I'm kind of curious about using those hotboxes with a rod.I watched a couple of videos but I didn't see how the other 1/2 of the  top was covered,or how it was removed easily to lift a fish up. OR, maybe it's left open?? In which case doesn't most of the heat escape?

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I 've had foam covers for years, wouldn't fish with out them...unless the temp is 33 or above.....plus they add a great kneeler on glare ice :-).
Home made of course, couldn't stomach those 7 bucks a piece covers....  ;D
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Outlet Bait & Tackle (on their website) has 3/4" thick Beaver Dam foam covers on sale @ 3.99 ea. + S&H

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:08 PM »
I don't use them. A spud bar works for me.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 30, 2017, 10:11 AM »

I was using square carpet samples, free to me, rubber backed and pretty effective. I got tired of how hooks got snagged all the time, especially when I put 'em in the bucket with my tippys. On a lark, I cut some big squares of inner tube I picked up off the highway.

I've said this so many times, in so many threads and all I get is advanced physicists and meteorologists saying it's not thick enough to insulate well.

I think I'll just get some sheet metal and spray paint it black---kick some slush or put a small weight on them to keep from blowing away.

I think you have the physics right----the object is to transfer in the heat from the sun as efficiently as possible, so insulation  is counterproductive. With the water close to freezing there is very little heat to be 'kept in' by insulating the hole.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 30, 2017, 11:40 AM »
You guys do know you can buy foam covers for just a few dollars each, right? This time of year even cheaper.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Apr 15, 2017, 04:26 PM »
lugging 12-15 of those on the lake would be absurd.

Lugging one of them plus the propane bottle to heat it is absurd. Forget 12-15.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #43 on: Apr 15, 2017, 05:37 PM »
You guys do know you can buy foam covers for just a few dollars each, right? This time of year even cheaper.

Cheaper than free?  :whistle:

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Apr 15, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Money is not the issue. The point is that a cover designed to transmit solar heat into the hole i.e. with no insulation would work better than a cover designed to keep in any heat there is in the hole. In fact, there is no heat to be kept in!!! Think about it. The air temp is below freezing, the water temp is right at the freezing point. Where the heck is the heat coming from to preven ice from forming on the surface.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Apr 15, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Ah my dear Sir, we agree on 99% of this. If you were to measure the water temp in an open hole you would get 38 - 39 degrees F so, in fact, there IS some value in insulative properties. I tend to believe that it is more important to place a "solar collector/transmitter" rather than an insulator over my holes. I've seen melted water on my rubber covers on sunny single digit days. That's enough for me...

My only issue with the sheet metal thing is the weight/storage thing. My rubber takes basically zero space, conforming to where ever I throw it (bucket, sled, heck it even wads up in a pocket) and weighs next to nothing.

I know converts will be few and far between; I've just had such remarkable success with this simplicity. Most folks tend to overthink stuff and miss the boat on low tech options.

Oh yeah, it's free...  ;D

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Apr 16, 2017, 08:54 AM »

Ok---here's my 1% disagreement!  I have a sonar and sometimes have the temp displayed. My temp readings are either right on the freezing mark or 1 deg above. Hence my statement re 'no heat'.

If I can find the rubber I'll try using it. For me, a thin piece of sheet metal is easier to find---almost weight less but, like you say, harder to pack than just rolling up rubber.

Re blowing away---there are many ways to skin that cat if you've been in the cat skinning business as long as some of us have. OOOps----PETA will be coming to get me now!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #47 on: Apr 16, 2017, 10:51 AM »

Re blowing away---there are many ways to skin that cat if you've been in the cat skinning business as long as some of us have. OOOps----PETA will be coming to get me now!!

Ah-ha-ha-ha! I'm a longtime catskinner. My wife hated it every time I said it. If I hadn't had the reins firmly in hand we'd have had 40 cats in the house.

After 35 + years of upsetting her I finally asked her what she thought it meant. Should have seen the look on her face when I told her it wasn't kitty cats but catfish.... ;D

Balls to the wall was another one  ::)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Apr 16, 2017, 04:13 PM »
I'm glad she believed you---millions wouldn't!  ;D

So no argument re water temp?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #49 on: Apr 16, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Gotta live in cat/bullhead country. Ask 10 old timers and you'll get 10 different ways to skin 'em. True.

As for the other; I won't say you're right or insist you're wrong. Lotsa variables in that. I analyze process data and scrutinize sampling in the real world so my skepticism on accuracy is always running in the background. Certainly not worth an argument to me. If you want to be right, well, that's OK by me. Besides we agreed on the most important part, right?

I got my rubber off the highway. Stopped and picked up a tube that peeled off a blowout. Truck tubes are thicker than auto ones or rubber roofing for that matter. I had other uses at the time but eventually a few squares found their way into my ice bucket.

I'll confess the idea actually came from a tipup that Rinehart made several years ago. It had a rubber thing built right onto it for a hole cover and when you picked it up the rubber folded over the spool, hooks and whatever for tangle-free storage. Cool idea. We called 'em taco tipups. The actual tipup was kinda cheap and stiff so never really took off. Hey, wadda ya know, there's a thread with pics right here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=171049.0. Whoda guessed?

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Apr 16, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Certainly not worth an argument to me. If you want to be right, well, that's OK by me. Besides we agreed on the most important part, right?

Whaaa? Isn't that what the internet is all about---arguing about the 1 % we disagree on. ;D :) Anyway, I think we've flogged this issue enough.

As in life, different strokes for different folks---lots of variables in all kinds of fishing!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.