Author Topic: new to ice fishing  (Read 2978 times)

Offline chrisfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
new to ice fishing
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I'll be heading up to deep creek next weekend with a few buddies, this will be our first ice fishing trip.  Any tips on good times to fish?  its about a 3 hour drive from here.  Should i get bait before i come up or is there a good tackle shop open up there.  also, should i or can i rent an auger?  

Offline Oly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HEY! Your Bobbers Down!
Re:new to ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2004, 11:35 PM »
Depends on when you want to start fishing...if you fish before light you may want to get the night before.  If not try these stores around the lake - plus Deep Creek Outfitters on McHenry Cove used to rent Augers.  I know you can buy them and Outfitters plus the ones below.

Bill's Outdoor Center
(Former Johnny’s Bait House)
Deep Creek Lake
20768 Garrett Hwy
Oakland, MD. 21550
(301) 387-3474

D & B Sport Shop
832 Edgewood Drive
Oakland, MD 21550
(301) 334-9725

Nicklows Wholesale Bait and Tackle
[BP Gas Station]
7315 National Pike (Rte. 40)
Addison, PA 15411
(814) 395-3931

Where are you coming in from?  Be safe on the ice!
Tight lines and Heavy Buckets!

Jamie "Oly" Olson

Offline chrisfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:07 AM »
i'm coming from baltimore.  dont know how early my buddies are willing to get up, probably wont make it up there early, hoping to be on the ice by 11. thanks for the numbers

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Chris , I am a newbie as well . I live in Baltimore and will be fishing Belle Grove Ponds over the weekend. It has about 4 -5 of ice on the back pond. Welcome to share some surface with us. Bring a few rapalas and small jigs / floats.
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Offline chrisfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2004, 11:06 AM »
Tommy,
I was thinking about heading up to belle grove sunday morning and fishing until about 2.  did you get out today, and if you did how's the ice?  never been there at all, can you get me directions?  i'm from the area so directions from any large street will do.  thanks
chrisfrank

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2004, 08:56 PM »
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner - was out fishing today ;D. Started out at Hopkin's cove (Susq) with zero bites in over 4 hours. Lots of good hard ice - about 8" - 10"! Headed back south to Belle Grove and caught a few crappie , perch , bass ,and bluegills. Belle Grove had 4 - 5 inches but back pond had about 7 - 8. We will be out again in the am.

Directions- Located in North Linthicum / Brooklyn Maryland. Belle Grove Road. 695 to camp meade road ( 170 ) north . Park by the power lines next to BGE fire trail. Only about 1/4 mile walk. Hope you can make it.
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Offline chrisfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2004, 09:33 PM »
sounds like fun, i'm going to try to get out there tmw morning if i can find someone to go with. with a little luck i'll see ya on the ice.   dont own any ice fishing stuff yet, i was going to get it when i head to deep creek.   any bait shops open around here where i could get some minnows or grubs?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.