Author Topic: Myrtle Grove- not much ice, a few fish 01/17/04  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
Myrtle Grove- not much ice, a few fish 01/17/04
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Drove south to Myrtle Grove hoping for thick enough ice, but figuring on marginal ice due to those 40 degree days earlier in the week. Guessed right, and probably should have driven west and north, open water in the center on the pond with some ice at the sides. With the throw rope at the ready, I eased out on the side ice and put in some holes close to shore in chest deep or shallower water. While working away we got treated to a turkey flying over in the tree tops.

Dave got three tip ups set, left the ice, and right away a flag goes up. Set the hook and had a strong fighter on for a while before it cut the line. Probably a Pickerel but never got to see him.

My son beat me to the next flag and landed an OK Rainbow.

A feisty Bluegill was next to sample a jig tipped with a nightcrawler.

Then things slowed way down, until Dave jigged up a small Rainbow to finish off the day.

Need a lot colder temps before these waters would be considered sturdy ice. I drilled the holes, and only one of us would go one the ice at a time, with the other on shore with the rope. Heading North & West next time.
Bob

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:Myrtle Grove- not much ice, a few fish 01/17/04
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:29 AM »
WTG Bob and son. Where is Mrytle Grove? I am really suffering from cabin fever and fights with the wife are getting ready to escalate!!!
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Thanks, and it's a WMA west of La Plata on Rte 225, Charles Co.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Nice Pics Bob. I am too heavy still to attempt going out on that thin of ice 8) It is supposed to bring more cold in after this rain blows out. It may shore up thing this week. We did ok first time out on shep. I will post what we did a little later. Good luck and tight lines. :'(

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Thanks Bro. That's alot closer to me then some of the other places that freeze over. I think mid -week in our area and we will have enough safe ice :) .

Offline virgilpoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2004, 12:13 AM »
Hey Bob, I'm pretty slow on here. Nice post. You guys done OK.

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2004, 06:19 AM »
Thanks Virg,

Hit it again yesterday with much better ice, sorry that you couldn't join us. We managed to ice four more Rainbows and "Jr" jigged up a nice size Gill. Mailed my auger blades off for sharpening and they got lost in the mail, so we spudded about fifteen holes. Forgot how well a sharp spud works.

You would do pretty good on the pond with your vexilar I'd bet, but it is about a mile to hike in to it. The cold killed the batteries in my camera, revived it with a charcoal hand warmer, and manage this one picture.

Two were 13", this guy was less.

Might have to get chains for the boots too, slipped going for a flag, did the splits and about "separated the twins".

Look forward to getting together again.
Bob

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2004, 09:00 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Hope your "twins" are okay! Ouch!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.