Author Topic: Deep Creek Lake Ice Report!!!!  (Read 15800 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:fish are starting to turn on
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:31 AM »
I was out all weekend, was a tough bite for the most part. Lots Of fish coming up the lure on the Vexilar, but turning away. The one that were hooked were dink perch. Havent tried all areas of the lake, Ill be out all weekend again back at em.

Offline woody1313

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fisherman
Re:fish are starting to turn on
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2004, 07:49 PM »
I fished in around turkey neck. I plan on getting on tomorrow or friday. Yes I was on deep Creek Lake. Yea seems like the fish are in 22 feet of water now. But we have not had a lot of luck on pearch they might have went shallower. When is the tourney I might fish it. I am going to fish friday and sat foresure. I will keep u guys updated when I fish and what I catch. write me if any questions.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: Deep Creek/Garrett
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2004, 05:56 PM »
How are they bitin' out there guys?  I'd like to make a road trip and hit it Saturday.  Depends on if I can get out of a family commitment, but my wife says that it's quite possible.  If so, I wanna join y'all out there.  Also, my buddy Genz man might want to come.  I gotta consider what he wants to do tho, his my fishin partner, can't leave him behind.  I'm gonna work on him and talk him into going.  I don't think that it will be hard to twist his arm! ;D

Anyone fishing this Saturday at Deep Creek?  Wanna hook up?  IM me if so.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

icefishnfool

« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:39 PM »
Fatboy ......I have to work .....but .....I am calling in a replacement .....I had plans to go to Deep Creek ...then this work thing came up .........time for low man on the chain of command to take over ......I will be down , Friday night .....and will hit it Saturday .....keep me posted .....I will be leaving Friday night at around  6:00pm

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 19, 2004, 02:53 PM »
I've got all day Saturday so I will be out there with you.  Let's team up and put a hurtin on those fishes lips.
Kevin Wilson

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2004, 09:33 AM »
First of all, I fished with Icefishnfool yesterday.  Let me tell you that Mark is one great guy and a great angler.  If it wasn't for him, we would not have been able to make a day of this.  Thanks again Mark for everything!  It was a pleasure fishing with you and working together to find fish in the most brutal fishing conditions that I've ever fished in.

Brutal, absolutely brutal conditions yesterday.  Snow showers were called for, more like a blizzard.  Constant heavy snow and sleet with 20 to 40 mph winds and gusts that had to be over 50 mph.

Our game plan was to split the day in two, start at the hump out from the State Park and then hit a cove later in the day if that didn't pan out.  We got on the ice, cut a few holes, found a stump field.  As my brother and Mark checked for fish, I had to head back to my vehicle to get something.  Upon my return on the ice, the wind blew my Sit-n-Fish bucket out of my Fish Trap and onto the ice.  I immediately ran to cut off the wind possibly blowing it down the lake to no avail.  It got by me by a matter of feet and I ran after it for about 1/4 mile to the State Park bridge where I found it pinned against the guardrail up the hill/snow bank!  By the time that I got back, those guys wanted to leave and I was completely tired... So, we headed out in search of a protected cove.  By now it was 11:30 and I haven't even wet a line.  My brother caught a dink perch.

We didn't make it to a cove but instead found a little protection at the other end of the lake, but not much.  The wind blew me, my Fish Trap, and my finder off a hole as I was setting the hook on a fish.  Needless to say, I lost that hit.  Condtions were so bad that we had trouble looking for a good spot.  We'd cut holes and find what looked good, set up in our Traps and fish a bit but when we went out to look for the holes that we cut, we couldn't find them or wasted a lot of time finding them.  So, moving was really difficult because we had to cut new holes each time.  The area that we were in had been pounded judging by the number of holes in the ice, but we marked fish in every hole, getting them to hit was another story.  I caught 3 dink perch and a jumbo perch, and a nice gill.  Icefishnfool caught 3 dink perch too.  It was hard to concentrate with the wind nearly blowing my Fish Trap around, having to keep a foot on it to keep it from rising up on my, wind getting under it, and the noise of it flapping all day.  I will have ice anchors for such days in the future.  Some guys were there in that spot for the morning bite and got into them pretty good.  The bite was pretty much off when we arrived there.  After much futility, we decided to move and headed up the lake on foot to a new spot where there had been absolutely no evidence of anyone fishing there.  So, we cut some holes and marked a bunch of fish.  They would follow and bite very lightly, so I thought that they were dink perch.  It got dark and I fired up the lantern for one last ditch effort with no bites.  Just as we were about to leave, we marked some fish suspended so I gave it one more try.  These were probably the same fish that I marked earlier and they responded to my lures, but finicky.  Managed to jig up 5 jumbo crappies, Mark got one, and my brother got one huge one and a huge gill, all after dark.  Kinda wished we'd have tried there earlier in the day.  Well, next time we have a good spot to try.

Considering the conditions, we had fun and caught a few nice fish, numbers not good but good quality all in all.  Had conditions been better, I think that we would have done better also.  The wind and snow seriously hindered our ability to stay mobile.

Mark, great fishing with you and look forward to working with you again under better circumstances!
Kevin Wilson

Offline kathleen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:12 AM »
Wow, sounds like you guys had quite the
artic adventure.  Are you sure this was Maryland? lol
Hmm..not sure if it sounded like fun or not, but definitely an adventure! 
Kathy
kathy

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Great report Fat Boy, I could feel my fingers going numb just reading it. That wind was howling across the lowland pond that we fished Saturday, so it must have been wild up in Garrett territory.

Glad that you managed a few.

Bob

icefishnfool

« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:25 PM »
well Kevin (Fat Boy ) .....you mias well let it rip .....tellem how I launched it down over the snow bank with the Dodge ......and you had to pull me out  :( :( :( :(  Mark Sirko

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:51 PM »
LOL.

Yep, when we were lookin for some protected area to fish, we decided to pull over and check an area out.  Mark went ahead while I turned around.  When I got around the corner, there was his red ol' Dodge parked on the side but tilted a lot...   :o  The side of the road was actually a ditch and he found it and got stuck.  We threatened to take pics but refrained, LOL.  My trusty Ford pulled that Dodge out.  8)  This really was an Arctic adventure, Kathy!

I really like this lake though.  Can't wait to get back on it.
Kevin Wilson

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 29, 2004, 07:06 PM »
had i pretty good day on DCL today.it was nice out there.no wind a little bit sun and did good on fish too.i fished i turkey neck cove for about 5h.caught 24 nice yellow perches and 4 smallmouths good size too.about 10 got away,and lost one pair of hooks.seen about 10 guys fishing by turkey neck all day.most perchies were 9-11inch,couple 13 inch real fat females.ice is about 15 inch i'd say.hope the nights gonna stay cold,might be able to get on ice next week ;D ;D ;D
how to attach the picture,to the message,anybody can tell me????

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2004, 05:29 PM »
What's the word on Deep Creek.  Any good ice left?  This warm weather stinks... :-[
Kevin Wilson

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #42 on: Mar 07, 2004, 06:05 AM »
There is still some ice, but my advice is not to go out on it. Its very unsafe ice now, with cracks, holes, rotted shoreline, grey ice, and now open water in areas. If the temps & rains keep up, I think the lake will ice out soon. Then its time to get out the boats. Tight lines.......

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:34 PM »

that's my last fishing trip pic.i didn't have a camera out on ice,so i took a picture at home

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:50 PM »

the first one was to big.I'll try to post another one :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.