Author Topic: 2013/2014 Loughborough Ice Watch  (Read 14869 times)

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2013/2014 Loughborough Ice Watch
« Reply #90 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:48 AM »
headin out after lunch on the wheeler.... hope i get some action.... will be on the green zuki with my neibour on his camo yamaha

My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:17 AM »
It's pretty slow going, sill out right now, and marked more then 20 since 0630. Again there only coming up to have a look, no takers. I had two bites this morning before 8. Nothing since.
Tried 3"white tube
1" grub (w/wo minnow
Crocodile spoon ( w/ wo minnow

On a side note, I bought new blades for the hand auger, WOW!!!!
so much easier now.   
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Hey good to meet you mega ram, let us know how you made out on Dog lake.

Was out today for 3.5 hrs had a handful of chasers but only 2 bites and was lucky enough to get both of them.  Both fish came in 85-87 fow, first one (3lbs) on a white tube, second (~2lbs) got on a set line with a jig and a minnow.  My goal today was to get one on the set line because I picked up a HT Ice Rigger the other day and wanted to try it out.  Didn't actually get to see the flag trip and the fish take line because I was right there when the fish hit adjusting the depth, I watched on the sonar as the mark came up to the bait then the rod tip started to jiggle a bit.  The fish must have just sat right there and ate the minnow because the line didn't move an inch so I just grabbed the rod and hit him.  Wasn't a big fish but fun fight on a Med Lite rod.
Here is a pic of the 3lber, sorry for the gory blood scene but I always bleed them right away then knock them out, makes for much tastier trout.

@jzuliniak

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Was out this afternoon until dark.  Had a few chasers but only managed to hook one.  Caught it in 90 FOW on a jigging shad rap.  Very happy to see my first laker of the year come out of Lobourough.
Since I cant post pictures here, I have put them up at the following link.

http://wildsofontario.com/ 

Offline Sfraser88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Was out on loughborough today no luck but marked a few fish in 90 fow  had couple chase but no takers today

Offline Quartez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:00 AM »
So far the only Loughborough ice watching i've been doing this year is from my seat in front of this computer lol. Been up there a few times over the last couple of winters. Great lake with easy access. Looking forward to fishing there again soon... Keep those reports coming :tipup:

SteveO

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Well after the skunk yesterday, I took a break from the lake today to hit Quinte for the morning bite. When I got back there were a few guys out, and also a couple permanent huts were on there way out just after I pulled in the driveway. Looks like an awesome day out there, and even better tomorrow. For those heading out, hope the bite is better than it has been the last couple days. Me... Goin back to the bay. Went 3/4 today with quite a few marks where I was. Gotta get the last one in before the rain comes.

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:34 AM »
For those of you heading out today, walk softly..puddles galore. Got word from my neighbour yesterday there was 15". He was near two vehicles parked together.. Yup, can ya believe it? Anyway, they had a couple on Dead smelt, nothing big. The one vehicle was back out this morning when I got up, but just left (8:00 a.m.) either because he had his limit, or heard some nasty sounds around him.lol, I would say the latter. Anyway, if going, I would say please refrain from driving on, not only for safety sake, but to save the shoreline access for days to come.
Good luck people!!!

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:22 PM »
This could be a long shot but my fin bore hand auger seems to have disappeared.  Not sure where it ocud be but I do know the last place I had it was on Loughborough on the west end.
Any chance the great members of this forum found one some where out there?

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Hey guys,
I am thinking of going out on Loughborough tomorrow morning for Lakers.. Haven't been there yet this year and with the recent warm weather and rain,  I am kinda worried about the ice conditions. Has anyone been out recently, like the last day or so? Mind giving me a report?

would appreciate it!
FishO

Offline Oiler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Out this afternoon for lakers on the west basin, I had 12 inches where I was with lots of activity on the ice. As always have care if you are not sure of the ice and watch out for holes covered by this fresh snow. Slow fishing today but I did bring home a nice laker for supper.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:46 PM »
thanks Oiler
I figured the ice was still there, just wanted to hear someone confirm it. Hopefully the fish are there too!

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:25 AM »
Well it's been a while Since I or anyone else has posted here. I very seen many out in the past few weeks ,me included but all is quiet. So either the bite is hot and it's hush hush, or it's off and nothing to report. Well I put in a couple hrs Saturday morning, and again yesterday afternoon and things were quiet. Only marked a couple on both outings but did manage 1fish both days. In the past, I had been getting fish on the norm, white tubes but occasionally would drop down a Live Target Golden Shiner as they seem to be hot on Simcoe. Well I gotta say both fish came on this bait, and with a very aggressive SMASH to my surprise. I've heard word that fish lately have only been coming on dead smelt so I was happy to jig a couple up. Imagine once this lull passes, and the late season bite picks up, I will be able to put the bait into action a little more. For those that have not tried it, might be worth a change if old faithful isn't firing them up. I was using the smallest size in silver/blue.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Feb 22, 2014, 10:27 AM »
hows the ice holding up? Still pretty good?

Offline MarkoB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:42 AM »
I was out there two Saturdays in a row before yesterday. we were fishing 100 feet. Marked quite a few fish. Most chasers came on white tubes and xzone swammers. Tried dead smelts as well to no avail. They would chase it 5-10 feet and then give up. ITs my first year laker fishing so i am not sure whats up.
Needless to say i was skunked both days....my friend lost one at the hole.
A question for you guys that fish this lake more often then i do. What kind of minnows do you guys use? Shiners or mud minnows?

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Was out for a couple hrs today. Slush has hardened up. Much easier to walk now. Still about 16" no luck today. Just a couple marked.

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Mar 02, 2014, 01:48 PM »
was out on the west end today from 10-12:30. Didnt mark many fish but managed one 2 pounder on a rattle bait. Started the day in about 86 FOW and then moved out and caught the fish in 108 FOW. Its really nice to be able to take the truck out, tons of ice!!!

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:25 AM »
Good going ice junkie. I finally got the nerve to drive my truck out for an hr Saturday night after seeing three parked together.lol. So much easier than hauling 100 lbs of gear all over.lol. Gonna head out for a bit this morning. Luv when they hit a rattle bait!!!!!

Offline MarkoB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:48 PM »
What kind of rattle baits do you guys use?

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Myself, I use the Live Target Golden Shiner, smallest size. These baits are killer down on Simcoe. If the fish don't hit them, it DOES draw there interest!!!

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Managed another trout today, didnt mark many fish again but the one I got hammered it! Fish was well off bottom in about 80 feet over 108 fow. Another one for the rattle bait, fish was just under 4 pounds. I've got the silver ford truck with duck decal in the back window of any of you guys wanna come say hello next time. Thinking about trying it again tomorrow.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Nice catch!  ;D

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Mar 09, 2014, 10:36 AM »

Here's mine from Friday after multiple move all over the west end. Another one that smashed the Live Target Golden Shiner. What a rush!!! Didn't even mark it.

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Mar 09, 2014, 10:37 AM »
P.S. weighed 4-13lbs

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Was out this afternoon for a few hours, marked a few, had some interested, but no hits, seem to come in look and leave.  Auger is broke (waiting for parts) , had to spud an older hole to boot....lol
Tim

Offline Oiler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:11 PM »
No luck today. Only marked three for the hour I got on the ice for but no interest. Next time maybe!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Nice to see some trout getting caught on lobo!  Maybe they've wised up to the white tubes.
Tight lines

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Well I finally got out there on Sunday, damm that ice was thick! Fished for a couple hours in the afternoon, only marked a couple fish, one of them chased a bit then took off. I was in about 86 FOW, anybody else getting them? should I be deeper?

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Fish O
I was out the past  few days and had same issues, Marked some , they'ed come in aggressive and then bail, tried hard lipless shad bait, tubes and jigs, nothing. I helped 1 guy yesterday land a 3lb, he was using smelts on the bottom, landed 1 and lost 1. Looks like the weather is about to make another big change so hopefully by Friday things change. I fished between 56fow to 103 fow.
Tim

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:22 AM »
By your wide depth range I'd say you moved around a bit Tim. The bite has been slow and it's gotta change soon. This year for most has been as funky as Quinte, with the locals (excluding me) finding them. All season long I've been seeing quads going past the house , down the ramp, and heading east. Sure it's to get away from the walkers, but I heard word that the fishing was better down there. Who knows, it's a bit of a hike, and I wasn't about to try drive it with the truck, although it's probably safe. Seen a few guys do that too.lol. Anyway, still a few weeks yet so Here's to hoping.
Rick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.