Author Topic: Fishing 2014 just getting started  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
Fishing 2014 just getting started
« on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Well i know i haven't posted to much this year but that is because i didn't get out to much over January and February with the temps in the -30's to -40's since December. March was not all that better being in  the low -20's to -30's but i did manage to get out a few times and with all the ice and snow this year i will probably be fishing till July lol

So here is a few pics of the trips i did manage to get out on with my friends and with my son.

The Slush this year was brutal!!!!

My son holding up his first big natural caught spec.

Him sitting next to our catch for a couple of hours of fishing lost more then we caught kept him running to the hole every five mins

The Death hole 90% of the fish were at this hole

Our Catch for the week

Us and our catch

I'm sure ill have some more post coming now that its finally starting to warm up a little so stay tuned

Tight lines

Merv

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Re: Fishing 2014 just getting started
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Holy man!

Slayed 'em buddy…..slayed 'em!

We got the same snow conditions here…..LOTS!

Good to see you back showing how its done!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Right Merv stackemup looks you boys maybe ice fishing into May! I may (no pun) have to come up just to extend my season! Keep the reports coming!

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Holy man!

Slayed 'em buddy…..slayed 'em!

We got the same snow conditions here…..LOTS!

Good to see you back showing how its done!

Thanks Simon the fishing is def picking up here finally and after being down south for the past two weeks its nice to be back in the north Ive been itching to get out ice fishing after looking at grass for two weeks lol

Keep your videos coming I watched them while I was away to keep me excited about the snow and ice  ;D

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Right Merv stackemup looks you boys maybe ice fishing into May! I may (no pun) have to come up just to extend my season! Keep the reports coming!

Will do Wingthing hoping to get out this weekend been down south for two weeks so def hitting the ice this weekend.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Holy Speck's there Batman! You really kicked some scaly butt there Merv! Way to go! It's also good to see that you are raising your son right. The greatest favor you possibly could be doing for him! I'm curious about the rig's you were using instead of the usual kind of tip-up. I've never seen those before. Did you make them yourself? Or are they available at most any sporting good's store? What are they called? Good on ya Merv and good luck on any of your future fishing foray's! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Holy Speck's there Batman! You really kicked some scaly butt there Merv! Way to go! It's also good to see that you are raising your son right. The greatest favor you possibly could be doing for him! I'm curious about the rig's you were using instead of the usual kind of tip-up. I've never seen those before. Did you make them yourself? Or are they available at most any sporting good's store? What are they called? Good on ya Merv and good luck on any of your future fishing foray's! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)2

Hey Dirtball

Thanks and yes I'm trying to get him trained right  ;) lol The Rig I'm using is something i built about 30+ yrs ago my dad was the first to build them and showed me. They are called tip downs instead of tip ups. what happens is instead of a flag going up the tip goes down the hole and lets the line out and letting yah know there is a fish on I have a better pic let me see if i can find it.

I use it mostly on trout(splake,lake,brook) but i have used it on pike, walleye, perch and whitefish just change out lead line to the fish I'm going after. As you can see they are not very expensive to make an old hockey stick door stop piece of dowel and the spool. probably back in the day when i made them they cost me couple bucks to make them all.  now probably under $10 each. Alot of my Friends have copied them and now i see a few people out there using them with a few tweaks in the design. I love using them on brook trout they are very deadly as you can see in the pics lol.

Tight Lines

Merv

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2014, 05:08 PM »
That's a totally cool rig you are using Merv! I love it. Already thought of a way to tweak it. Instead of using the dowel, why not use the broken off part of an old fishing rod? Who amongst us doesn't have plenty of those around? :laugh:You could start out with a small hunk of the dowel. Then drill a hole in the end of the dowel just large enough so you could glue in the broken part of the old fishing rod. Sound OK to you? When you head out to wage war in the speck's, do you have a favorite go-to bait that you prefer? I'm thinking that wax worm's might be deadly! Are they available up where you live? If they aren't, let me know and I'll mail you one! At the rate that the US Postal Service move's, it oughta be pretty ripe by the time it get's to you! :icefish: :roflmao:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2014, 06:56 AM »
That's a totally cool rig you are using Merv! I love it. Already thought of a way to tweak it. Instead of using the dowel, why not use the broken off part of an old fishing rod? Who amongst us doesn't have plenty of those around? :laugh:You could start out with a small hunk of the dowel. Then drill a hole in the end of the dowel just large enough so you could glue in the broken part of the old fishing rod. Sound OK to you? When you head out to wage war in the speck's, do you have a favorite go-to bait that you prefer? I'm thinking that wax worm's might be deadly! Are they available up where you live? If they aren't, let me know and I'll mail you one! At the rate that the US Postal Service move's, it oughta be pretty ripe by the time it get's to you! :icefish: :roflmao:DIRTBALL2 ;)2

Go for it Dirtball couple of my friends have put an old ice fishing rod end on them and it works just fine. The bait we use for specs is mostly minnows but from time to time if there not hitting on them i do use shrimp,Corn,mealworms,waxworms when you can get them and freeze dried peas lol. Yeah they might be real ripe  :o by the time they get to me, it takes me along time to get mail from toronto as thats the hub for international mail lol

Tight Lines

Merv

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.