Author Topic: Best time put out tipups  (Read 2695 times)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best time put out tipups
« on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:30 PM »
What is the best time to put your pike tipups down in the (in the morning , in the evening or all day long) ? the lake i have been fishing has pike coming into a 10 ft' hole that is srounded water that is only 5 ft' deep  thanks for the help  :)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best time put out tipups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:33 PM »
If the choices are AM PM or all day, well then all day it is!

They are sight feeders, and are more effective during daylight hours, but anything is possible.

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I only fish during the day. But I am always set upat least 1/2 before light and catch quite a few nice fish in that first hour while everyone is still setting there lines. To each there own though. I think there will be a diverse amount of opinions on this one.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 03:56 PM »
The lake I catch all my big pike from in the winter, I have found around 10 am and 3 pm. One winter in which I fished it fairly hard for pike I almost always would have a flag within 15 minutes either side of 10 am. One flag may not sound like much but when you're fishing for big ones you may only get one or two flags a day.  It got to the point in which I could just keep an eye on the time and would know when I would be about to get a flag.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2007, 04:00 PM »
Definitely AM because always caught my best fish between 10 am and 2 pm. Cutting the holes also spooks the fish but they will come back to the area when it is quiet again.
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:52 PM »
I have experienced the 10-3 bite also.  I always try to get all holes drilled and everything set up before 10.  sometimes you get a fish earlier, that just helps with depth and hole placement for later...

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:11 PM »
If I can get out early enough, and get set up before sunrise, I tend to get a few flags just when the sun starts lighting up the ice...  it slow a little after that, then seems to pick up again in that 10-3 window or so...   also have had some nice runs right before sunset..   mid morning, and mid afternoon seem to be the worst, but flags still pop sometimes.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2007, 07:45 PM »
The 10-3 recurring window is interesting.  Do any of you fish for pike when the ice is gone?  If so do you still see the same time frame for hookups?

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:31 PM »

Do I fish for pike when the ice is gone?  8 hrs a day from May-August as a trophy pike guide at a northern MB fly-in lodge.  I still find increased activity around 10 am and sometimes 3 pm.  Peaks are often subtler, as there are more factors that come into play for open water, such as wind direction, speed, temperature and light conditions, which are not that great of factors when the fish have that security blanket of ice and snow over their heads.  But one thing seems to remain constant is they still don't seem to get really turned on till 10 am, and then will stay active for most of the day even till dusk, with sporatic or even no peaks throughout. 

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:54 PM »
Master Angler is right on!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Thanks guys, that is really good info to have!  I personally have never fished for pike in open water and this year was my first for Pike through the ice. 

I will definately keep this info in mind when I try and hunt some this year!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:08 PM »
 i fish right behind a friend's house and sometimes on a fri. or sat. night we continue to fish right through the night, q-beam from the second floor deck works great to check the flags between card hands and rounds of drinks! hard to do without property right on a good pike water but it can be good at night. two fish one night this season 41" and 42" 20 min. apart from two holes 60' apart. i also have caught some real nice fish 40"+ @ the very last 15 min of light, 3 times this was the only flag i had all day! trophy pike fishing is all about putting many hours in with the best chance you have to get a bite is by being there when the fish decide to feed! i have caught them at all hours around the clock the trick is to put as much time in an area that you can, but it must hold the fish or you are wasteing your time.       d. b. d.        :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2007, 06:48 PM »
from the monsters you catch Dave ill gladley join you...lol   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.