Author Topic: Jigging a deadbait  (Read 2588 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Jigging a deadbait
« on: Jan 23, 2005, 11:42 PM »
I have been wondering how good jigging a dead sucker on your jig rod works for you guys. How well does it do in relation to tipups? Thanks for any help in advance.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Jigging a deadbait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2005, 05:51 PM »
I have noticed that when a pike trips a flag and the pike isn't on the hook, sometimes jigging the bait lightly will bring the pike back to strike. So I think ligthly jigging a deadbait on a quickstrike rig would work very well.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:05 PM »
Just offering my 2bits on winter northerns.....unless you have a bunch of smaller hammerhandles feeding in shallow....jigging deadbait will not produce anywhere near the numbers of the same rigged on tipups....all fish slow down to varying degrees...it might attract them in....but the brutes will hit the easy meal.  next time out, tally your northerns on the deadstick or tipup...versus jigging...and post the results....Grump :tipup: :tipup:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:22 PM »
You may be right gmoe. I am going to try it on sunday, the day after I get back from state science bowl at fort collins. I will post the results for the time I jig the deadbait against the time I have a deadbait on a tipup. Good thinking.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005, 11:17 PM »
all my trophy pike in the winter have come on tip ups with dead bait, jigging seems to produce more fish but usually smaller hammerhandles
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Dead bait always worked the best for me laying on the bottom (tip ups through the ice). It is quite often the cuisine of choice for bigger pike. They get older / they get lazier ... until their HOOKED !!! THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.