Author Topic: losing the big ones  (Read 1575 times)

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
losing the big ones
« on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:54 PM »
i seem to be losing the big one right at the hole they come in easy then when you get them to the hole they seem to lay flat along ice surface and are hard to get nose pointed up hole? Any ideas would help :o

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: losing the big ones
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:56 PM »
if they ain't coming easy give em a bit of line, and then bring em back in on a different angle.  much better than horsing them.  once the nose is in the hole they come like a rocket sometimes.

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:37 PM »
i seem to be losing the big one right at the hole they come in easy then when you get them to the hole they seem to lay flat along ice surface and are hard to get nose pointed up hole? Any ideas would help :o
Are you using mono? If you are then there's your reason for breaking off. And now, let the bashing begin but fact is fact.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:56 PM »

I too think letting them run a few times will help. Taking every run easy when the come to the hole.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Its definitely all about patience and giving them some line if they need it. Even if I have the nose up into the hole, if they thrash at all I let off on the line and let them head back down. I've never dropped a good fish at the hole...on the hookset, that's a different story.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:15 AM »
Sharp hooks will keep them on better.  I use OWNER treble hooks.  Super sharp and hold great.  If you are keeping the pike, purchase a gaff.  If you plan on releasing the fish, I would NOT reccommend the gaff.  What size auger are you using?  The bigger the hole, the easier it is to get a pikes head turned up the hole.  I would go with an 8" auger minimum. 

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:00 AM »
When they get into the hole, shot them in the head with a hand pistol.  JUST KIDDING  ;D

To be honest, like the other fellas said, give them time, let them make another run, and don't horse them in.  Let them take another angle and then give it a try.  And I agree with GAMBELL, use a good size hole.  I use a 10 inch and hardly ever have a problem. 
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Gaff them in the bottom lip and pull them up. If you have a gaff with a barb on it file off the barb so you don't hurt the fish and make sure you stay away from the gills.

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:13 PM »
That spin they do at the hole is the moment of truth. Like everyone says, give them enough time. Make sure that the line you pull up dosn't tangle on the ice as well. A big pike will make a pretty good run when he gets close to that hole so make sure you can give him line. Is the hook coming out or are they breaking you off?

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Gaff them in the bottom lip and pull them up. If you have a gaff with a barb on it file off the barb so you don't hurt the fish and make sure you stay away from the gills.

x2

Is gaffing pike a regional thing. I grew up in south east wisconsin and was taught how to gaff as soon as I was taugh how to run a tip up 6 or 7 years old. I moved to the other side of the state and I don't know if I have seen a gaff besides mine.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I would not gaff it unless you plan on keeping it, personally.

Let them take runs until you get their nose to the hole, put your hand under the gill plate, and yank em up.

If you are scared to get your fingers a bit cut from time to time, you are fishing for the wrong species.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:35 PM »
x2

Is gaffing pike a regional thing. I grew up in south east wisconsin and was taught how to gaff as soon as I was taugh how to run a tip up 6 or 7 years old. I moved to the other side of the state and I don't know if I have seen a gaff besides mine.
Everyone i pike fish with has one in their bucket and let them back in unharmed like saxmatt posted above.Sometimes used to just steer the nose up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.