Author Topic: Sevenstrand Leaders- Knots or other ways of tying them???  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
I'm trying to tie up a bunch of  18 lb. sevenstrand leaders for pike.  I have been trying to use them mthod decribed in In-Fishermna, where you leave a 1" tag end and then pinch a forceps on and spin it around the line.  Whenever I give these a good pull, the knot instantly comes undo.  I've tried a few standard knots, but I always end up with the lind kinked.  Any suggestions here???  I am tying to a duolock snap.  Thanks

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Sevenstrand Leaders- Knots or other ways of tying them???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2004, 06:43 AM »
try tyger leader material.  it ties real well. seems to work to. just trying it this year open water and through the ice. and have had no problems

Pike Bandit

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2004, 07:58 AM »
I used to twist the leaders the way In-Fisherman recommends, and found it works better if you do about 5 loose twists then about 7 or 8 tight twists. I still had problems with them coming loose, especially if the middle treble slides down to the first hook. So I've been crimping them and find that it works much better. All you need is a pair of crimping pliers (or even just wire cutters used carefully)  :tipup:and the smallest size crimp sleeve (for the 17 lb sevenstrand I use). Might take a little more time but the quality in my oppinion is much better. Good luck.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:35 PM »
I do a couple loose twists by hand then about eight or nine tight ones with pliers followed with a couple overhand knots tightened with pliers and have never had one come apart. I like to anchor the hook down and put a lot of tension on the wire when wrapping the tag end. the tyger wire is easier to work with and it doesn't seem to kink as bad as normal steel leaders.

suskymusky

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:53 PM »
I use leader sleeve and crimp it on with a pair of crimping pliers. You can get everything you need from jannsnetcraft  any other tacklebuilding store.I use a size 1 for 20# uncoated sevenstrand and size 3 for 20# coated sevenstrand.You get 100 of them for 3 or 4 bucks,and they are strong and neater looking.I tried twisting them and melting the coated wire, but they always came unwrapped.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 07:12 PM »
I double it through the eye, twist it about 4 times, and then crimp on a sleeve ,never had one come undone in 20 yrs. The other hook I use as a slider with heat shrink tubing. Good Luck.
Mr.Esox

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2005, 04:23 AM »
I'm not much for tip-up fishing, but I flyfish for pike. I use nylon coated leader material in varying weights. I twist the ends 6-8 times and melt the nylon over a flame (I use my alcohol lamp). Then I slide a piece of shrink wrap over the twist and shrink it. I color code the shrink wrap to the leader strength.

I've taken some pretty big pike on my fly chaser as well as tossing lures and never had one come apart.

Think this would work for tip-ups?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Knife2sharp

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005, 09:22 AM »
The best knot for tying wire leaders is the Bowline knot.  I got some new leader material from Cortland that said it was tieable and you could use any type of fishing knot, but it would coil every time I ciched the knot tight. 

I tried the Bowline knot and it worked really slick. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.