Author Topic: Lightest one man shelter  (Read 7885 times)

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lightest one man shelter
« on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:25 AM »
I'm looking for the lightest one man popup shelter that is easy to set up. Many of the spots I fish are only accessible picking in through rough or steep terrain which isn't sled friendly. At these places I use a modified pack frame and bag which works great. Auger, flasher and gear add up quick so light weight and compact folded size is very important. The ability to withstand high wind isn't a big issue as most locations are relatively small and protected, most spots rarely have winds in excess of 20 knots. Any suggestions?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Lightest one man shelter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:46 AM »
shappell fx100 is lightest i know of at 38#'s
needs seam sealer on roof seams tho

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:17 AM »
he is asking for a pop up, not a flip over.

HT makes a little tiny one man one that might suit your needs

http://htent.com/catalog/item.php

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:16 PM »
Thanks. The HT Quick Hut 1 looks nice but 52x33x5 and 29 lbs is a bit awkward on a pack frame. The insta shack2 seems a bit lighter and looks to fold up narrow. HT doesn't list packed dimensions.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:33 AM »
guess your not getting much help here.
http://www.backpacking-guide.com/ultralight-shelters.html
heres more info for ya. not saying it is the lightest, its who i use for shanties. i have three styles from here. the flip is the lightest too.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/widehouseserieshubs.html

Wide House 4500

Size:     68" x 68" x 61" High at Hubs, Set Up
                 60" x 60" Floor Area
                 7.5" x 7.5" x 44.5", Folded
    Weight:  17 lbs

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:43 AM »
The Eskimo Quickfish 2 is 5 X 5 inside, weighs in at 18 pounds and is available from Amazon for $139, free shipping too.  ;D

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:22 AM »
I have a pop up and they are nice if you are some what stationary. .I am also in the market for a light 1 man sled shelter. ..have not seen any of the 1 man in person....has anyone any experience with the shappell fx100? I am 6'3" wondering how cramped it is versus the fx150?

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:28 AM »
The Eskimo Quickfish 2 is 5 X 5 inside, weighs in at 18 pounds and is available from Amazon for $139, free shipping too.  ;D
I have had mine for 2 years and it's the lightest out there at 18 lbs. Easy to set up(except in 20+ mph winds). Eskimo anchors are the best also. Quickfish comes with 6 but I purchased extra's .
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline fishngameguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:43 AM »
The FX150 is awesome for space and durability. I have found it very comfortable as a tall big guy. Due to the weight and width it does not pull well in more than a few inches of snow. Def. one to be towed with an atv or snowmobile. There are lighter flip overs out there that will pull easier, however they do not have the room if that is of concern.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:38 AM »
i use the smitty skies almost every time unless there not really any snow and size and weight then doesn't matter so much. i like the fx100 and have not sat or owned the fx150. i bought the fx100 for being the lightest and before the smitty skies.
i use a palin cabelas tub and a shappell wide house 6500 straped to the side of the tub and on top of the smitty skies with motorcycle straps.

the shappell 4500 wide house is still the lightest at 17 pounds for back packing or for any thing.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Ok call me naive. ..but how does the smitty sled work for a pullover style shelter. ..I totally see the efficiency of pulling your gear across the snow cover. ..but not sure if I understand the benefits of a smitty if you have a pull over shelter and you are "running and drilling" seems you have to pull 2 items or keep packing the smitty With your shelter?  Where I fish I don't see guys using them so have no experience with a smitty and the pull overs...definitely going to get a single or small double shelter for next year!

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Leaning toward the Eskimo Quick Fish 2 based on light weight, reputation and anchor quality. It's a little larger than I need but there doesn't seem like there is much currently on the market that is really simple and light for 1 man to backpack (along with flasher, tackle, auger and misc.). The Clam Twin Hub 1 looks interesting but not in production and reviews are all over the map. A flip would suit my fishing style "on the ice" the best unfortunately the traversing the terrain to the spots where I do 80% of my fishing makes pulling a 75-80 lb loaded sled impossible.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Ok call me naive. ..but how does the smitty sled work for a pullover style shelter. ..I totally see the efficiency of pulling your gear across the snow cover. ..but not sure if I understand the benefits of a smitty if you have a pull over shelter and you are "running and drilling" seems you have to pull 2 items or keep packing the smitty With your shelter?  Where I fish I don't see guys using them so have no experience with a smitty and the pull overs...definitely going to get a single or small double shelter for next year!

think of the smitty sled as a taxi for all of your gear including your flip over shack. take off what you want and let it sit there until your ready to go home, then reload it.

this year, i haven't even brought out the flip and have been using a large tub and a large pop up hub. i set the the large tub into the flips tub for traveling on the road. smitty sled breaks down and slips in next to the two tubs. i don't need the flip with me any more and could just take it out, but i use it to hold things i want out of the tub i use to make lifting the tub lighter. the flips tub holds it all until i unload again. i can add the bench to the flip if i want to take it, but the large hub is a spoiler with walking room and standing room and adding friends and family room. the few lakes i fish right now, run and gun does nothing for ya as far as locating more fish. fish a hole and get the aggressive fish and fish another ect isn't working right now on a lake that most times does. another lake i fish we fish late into the night and being set for nightfall is a good thing and you wait on the fish that are on the move all of the time any ways.
when i do bring my flip, i found my self either using it as a warm up shelter mainly for windy days or night time and would run and gun out side the shack and no need to drag it any time i moved. so i would just kneel or stand when i found fish and leave the flip some where else on the ice or still on the smitty sled and just used it as a tub.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Leaning toward the Eskimo Quick Fish 2 based on light weight, reputation and anchor quality. It's a little larger than I need but there doesn't seem like there is much currently on the market that is really simple and light for 1 man to backpack (along with flasher, tackle, auger and misc.). The Clam Twin Hub 1 looks interesting but not in production and reviews are all over the map. A flip would suit my fishing style "on the ice" the best unfortunately the traversing the terrain to the spots where I do 80% of my fishing makes pulling a 75-80 lb loaded sled impossible.

for your facts:
did you know the 6 ice anchors that come with it weigh in at 4 pounds and the shelter is not the lightest as i mentioned a few times? topic was "Lightest one man shelter".
so 18 + 4 + 22 pounds now for the shelter.

shappell is 600 denier fabric and 1 pound lighter.
the doors,"C" style doors (shappell) are easier to use the "D" style (eskimo).

Eskimo Quick Fish 2 is only 300 denier (half as strong) and 1 pound heavier.

the color, the black roof absorbs free solar heat on the shappell.

i know where my money went and why. you can buy eskimo anchors in a 6 pack for 30$ from gander mountain. the fact that shappell is twice as strong of fabric sold me. i want the best always.

if your also taking a 9 pound battery for your flasher, you can shave a few pounds off of that going to a smaller amp hour. a 6 ah will take about 3 pounds off from a 9ah. if you really want to get into it, get a li-on 12v battery for your flasher.
can shave more weight by using mountaineering ice anchors.

the shappell flip fx100 is 38#. your pop up you want to buy is 22 pounds (dry weight and gets wet in use and icy and snowy and can weigh in with an extra 5 pounds), you are 16 pounds difference empty so far.
the battery change makes you 13 pounds difference and gets your sonar on ice.
if you really want to get into it, you could bend your own aluminum conduit for the fx100. not sure how many pounds, but guessing maybe 12#. the tub alone is 18#, so maybe even more for the conduit conversion. the tent isn't very heavy.

using a deer pull will make the pull much easier if you can't put skies under it. makes it easier even w/o skies too. so does a much longer rope and some wax.

i use both shelters, so i know them well.

good luck with what ever you buy, now that you have the facts straight.

you didn't mention heat, but if you want a great little heater that is safest on the market; Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor-Safe Propane Heaterhttp://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F215100-3800-BTU-Indoor-Safe/dp/B001CFRF7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1424097213&sr=1-1&keywords=Mr.+Heater+F215100+MH4B+Little+Buddy

5.9 pounds + 1 pound gas bottles.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:16 PM »
3300 thanks for the info. About 75% of the spots I fish, the closest and in some cases only access is via narrow footpath at best and often steep terrain. I've tried my sled and most spots it is very difficult and coupled with steep terrain at some impossible, ruling out a flip. For these locations I have modified an external pack frame with a basket and shortened pack to carry a 6gal bucket,3 rods,3 tips, dipper, LX5, 6"lazer, light tackle & bait. Loaded for a days fishing it is right at 35lbs. Ideally less than 55 lbs inc shelter is about all I care to schlep through the woods and over steep rocky terrain. The only thing I carry by hand is a spud as it is often necessary to hold onto saplings ascending/descending. I like the idea of black fabric for the solar heating qualities and will consider the Shappell.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:18 AM »
no problem. the spud you carry is a great place to add parachute cord and use it as a grip. i did that to mine and left a loop to go over my hand in case it slips my grip. you can double or triple layer it so you have lots with you in case its needed. you never know when you'll need it. it also makes it warmer in your hands beside making it bigger.

only thing i can think of it make a hitch with stiff rails to pull a tub/shanty, so when you are descending, it stays behind you. would attach to a harness or belt to your waist. conduit should work. they sell tow bars, so if you think you want to look into making some thing. look at how those are built and attach to the front of the tubs. seems like i have seen down hill ski rescue teams use what i am talking about. maybe there were two skiers tho.

back packing sounds safest. i have an empty frame, but never used it yet.
the thing about pop up hubs is the length tho. you would have to ride it up high. mine came with back pack straps and if you get in them the thing hits your legs if you try to move.

what are you using for cramp-on's?

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:37 PM »
The paracord is pretty smart. Currently I have a couple of 3M rubber pull shrink tubes on the handle which are insulating but over wrapping with para cord, making a wrist loop and securing it with either o-rings or electrical tape provides added safety and utility.
One location that I fish has an average 7-8' tide so the edges are always broken up about 10-30'. A 75' piece of 3/8" braid line tied to a deadman on shore makes it easier and safer on and off.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Stabilicers and Stabilicers Lite for crampons.

Offline mike 7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Clam has a nice little 5'x5' I use when im alone probably about 25lbs

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:22 PM »
I have had mine for 2 years and it's the lightest out there at 18 lbs. Easy to set up(except in 20+ mph winds). Eskimo anchors are the best also. Quickfish comes with 6 but I purchased extra's .
Look at the Eskimo Wide One. Lighter and much more fishable room.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:09 AM »
i like my quickfish 2 for just me, but next year i plan to get the wide 1 inferno for just me so i can move around a bit more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.