Author Topic: Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!!!!!!!
« on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I've got to get out on Sunday!  Good ice on the Fox Chain area by then?  It better be growing as I speak!  Anyone game?  I'm going to do some drive by's in the am to see what happened tonight.  If anyone can give an update by Sat. night, I'd be very happy!  Tight lines everyone!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2008, 11:01 PM »
we are capped back over tight. bangs is froze over. i have to work until 10:00 pm on saturday so if you are up i will try to pop a hole in fox lake by about 10:30 and report back. i am going to go out on a limb and say that i am very confident that the T channel, the south bay on channel lake will be fine. she is at 11 on her way down to -2 tonight for a high of 5 and a low of -6 on saturday so i wouldn't worry too much.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Sweet!  Thanks John.  I'll be back tonight from IN.  I owe you a couple next time we get out.  Maybe one night this week, if you are off.  Some night crappie action?  If not, the following weekend or week.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Don't let the cold lull you into a false belief that all the lakes are safe again.
The small lake near my house (Cross Lake in Antioch) froze over earlier in the season but partially opened up with the warm weather we just had.  I figured with the extreme cold it would have been completely frozen over this morning but when I awoke I saw the north end of the lake is STILL open.  I suspect the high winds are to blame.  If this lake is open I have to expect there are others which still won't be safe.
Be Careful!
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2008, 11:09 PM »
well sir. i broke out the carhart arctic gear and marched out onto the bay about 5 minutes ago. the initial pressure cracks indicated that the ice was at least 3" thick. i kept walking until i hit new ice. i circumnavigated parts which i thought looked sketchy and stopped at about 150 yards from shore. i drilled a hole and found there to be about 4" of ice.

this was 15 feet from a steaming hole of open water. the only reason i got so close is because my spud bar told me i could. that said the ice is very inconsistant. if you do go, be extremely careful, don't go without your spud bar.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2008, 12:07 AM »
Thanks John!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:33 PM »
You guys didn't miss much on Sunday! ;D