Author Topic: Lyons  (Read 8463 times)

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Lyons
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Made a trip out to Lyons lake yesterday with a plan. First was to see how the ice was doing .  there is still open water in the middle  thin ice to 4'' around the edges won't be walking out there. Second was to fish the dock area .So with my hand auger  i leaned over the railing and drilled the first holes of the season . Was excited to use the bird!! All set up managed to ice four splake about 12 to 14 inches and one rainbow around 16'' all released . They all hit the Northland hexi fly with a Berkley honey dew worm on it. Driving home i noticed that Falcon lake has no ice that i could see from the highway. :-\

Offline jclutch08

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lyons
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Thanks for the report. We had mentioned maybe takin a trip one of the lakes in the area but I guess we will be waiting a few more weeks to go that way. Smart idea on the dock though. I'd do almost anything to light up the vex and watch it spin for a few hrs.
Great anglers don't drill better than others, they hammer better

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Yeah the fishing bug got the best of me and i had to go. I would wait a week or so before walking on. Or if you just cant wait anymore you can fish the holes at the dock. I will be going again maybe late next week and will post more about the Whiteshell lakes in that area ( Hunt,Westhawk,Falcon,and Lyons). ;D

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Any new reports on the ice conditions on lyons lake? Im thinking of making the trip out there this saturday to try it out. I would think with this colder weather there should be a decent amount of ice...

Offline Celtic16

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Is Cool
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:36 PM »
 ;D Was out last Saturday. Was out 15 yards or so on 4" of ice. Nailed a few speckled and a rainbow. Will be out with my son this Saturday.
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:58 PM »
15 yards from the end of the dock or 15 from shore? I usually fish a good 20 or 30 feet from the end of the dock

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I hope to get out there this weekend and check on Hunt lake as well for some brook trout. ;) I'm thinking the Whiteshell is the way to go this seasons first ice. Smaller stocked lakes are for the most part frozen over and good to go. It ain't walleye:-\but trout are good fighting fish and great eats.

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Definetly i always hit lyons lake for trout first ice you can usually get some nice ones and a few perch which all seem to be small though... Has anyone ever caught a decent sized perch at lyons?

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:25 PM »
What do you guys have the most success with at lyons? I used small hooks with a split shot and a smaller minnow last time I was there a couple years ago, had fun with a few small trout + perch

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:49 PM »
I find a 1/32oz jig and a small piece of shrimp or a small plastic works best and if youre cathing perch youre too close to the bottom... for trout ive found all the bigger trout up higher in the water column (dont be scared to fish a foot under the ice) alot of the time i see the trout i catch take my jig. Last winter i caught a few rainbows and splake between 17-19'' range.

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Anyone going there this weekend? If so could you please report things are out there. I'm going there on Tuesday. Thanks in advance. ;D

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Ill be going out tomorrow morning so ill report back in the afternoon

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:33 PM »
So you decided to go Sunday eh! Good luck :thumbsup:

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:30 PM »
haha yep supposed to be the warmer of the two days

Offline Celtic16

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Is Cool
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:30 PM »
 ;D Was out for a few hours today with my son. I was 15 yards off the dock and cutting through 10" of ice. The lake is completely frozen over. The were a few guys on the east side of the lake and some on the south side. We nailed about a dozen speckled on a orange 1/8oz jig with a small salty. They were from 10" to 16". It was a perfect day all around. Fish were biting, warm temps, and no wind. I hope for more of the same next weekend.
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:18 AM »
Thanks for the update. Heading to Lyons in a few hours..... Better get some sleep :o
Go fish.

Offline cuttlefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Thanks for the update. Heading to Lyons in a few hours..... Better get some sleep :o

Can we get a report?

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:26 PM »
went out this morning and got all the holes drilled by first light as soon as the sun came up me and a buddy started catching some decent rainbows ended the day with around 12 in all but we also missed probably 20 fish which just didnt take the hook in far enough plus a few that we saw come look at the jig then turn around.

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Sounds like a good Sunday in the Whiteshell. You gotta love it!! :)  Ill be heading out to Lyons on Tuesday. BBB how far out did you go?

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:24 PM »
just out from the dock you cant miss all the holes there haha

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Got to Lyons early Sunday morning, Holes drilled before sun up. Along come these two guys, drill holes sit down and start nailing them one after the other with a couple of double headers in a row just south of us(guessing that was you BBB?). Was using nymphs with small jigs  which were nailing them there during last ice, but nothing more than a few nibbles this time. Switched to salties and a single hook with a line weight and nailed a few the last hour before we had to leave. Noticed definitely a lot more action just south of the dock area than north. Ice was about 10" and a few groups of people walked across to the back of the lake. Not sure how ice was back there, but judging from the sound of the augers was pretty thick back there also. Felt good to be out again! Good luck!
Go fish.

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Yes fishaman that was me and my buddy (i was the one with the green jacket) getting the double headers haha we also tried another spot away from the dock over about 30 feet of water the ice was also ten inches there we only caught three or four at that spot

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Well tomorrow is out :-\ My dog/ long time buddy of 14 years isn't doing to well gonna hang with him for a while. Has anyone iced any brown trout yet ? Lots of Rainbows and Slake/Speckled being caught ;D

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:02 PM »
No brown trout on my last outting. Ive only caught two or three very small ones in that lake I seem to only catch rainbows and splake, not sure if its the way we fish or that there just arent that many in there... From what it says in the master angler records someone caught a 26 incher there last year so there must be some lol

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Well tomorrow is out :-\ My dog/ long time buddy of 14 years isn't doing to well gonna hang with him for a while. Has anyone iced any brown trout yet ? Lots of Rainbows and Slake/Speckled being caught ;D

Sorry to hear about your dog IceDreamMan.
Dogs are not only man's best friend but also great fishing / hunting companions and members of our families.
If ever I had to choose between spending quality time with my dog and fishing, I'd hang with my dog too!!!
Spend time with him while you can.....fishing can wait.

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Caught a brown there last ice this last spring. It was only about 12", so there must be more in there, and hopefully bigger by now.

Sorry to hear about your dog IDM.
Go fish.

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:49 PM »
i was there the day the 26" was caught, never saw it but talked to the guys after,
hoping to go out this weekend on sunday
how deep have you guys been catching most of your fish?
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Offline FishSean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Hey guys pardon my ignorance here but I have heard that Lyons is catch and release only?  Is this correct?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:13 AM »
nope you can keep trout from lyons. 3 with a full 2 with conservation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.