Author Topic: !!!!!Is This a Good Deal!!!!!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline teamwild

• IceShanty Rookie
!!!!!Is This a Good Deal!!!!!
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:58 PM »
was woundering if this underwater Camera was a good deal
http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/ReducedReducedBrand-New-Aqua-Vu-700_14053276

MikeMiller

Re: !!!!!Is This a Good Deal!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:09 PM »
its a good deal but you will hate it after 20ish feet of water

Offline teamwild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:26 PM »
why is that

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:37 PM »
cameras are good in really clear lakes for deep but in our lakes i find after 20 + feet you cant see that far and also the more snow on the lake the darker it is on the bottom the harder it gets too see

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:59 PM »
save your money and get a flasher, like previous posts mention, camera's are almost useless in deep water.  I have both a camera and a flasher, and the camera hasn't hit the water in two years, that is why it's likely for sale.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I second the flasher, cameras are cool the first or sencond time out while the flasher is usefull all the time.  You can see suspended fish, bottom type, and water clarity is not a factor.  The bucks I spent on my Vexilar were worth it, I have no idea how I fished without it before!

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Yeah, the camera thing - after 20' not good - if you turn the lights on it seems to spook fish - although they are entertaining, so each their own. I have two cameras in use and do enjoy the entertainment for the children big and small. Good for setting bait in upright position and depth for big pike. Locating structure and even depth in cord is marked. 

Offline Dragon67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:39 PM »
cameras are good in really clear lakes for deep but in our lakes i find after 20 + feet you cant see that far and also the more snow on the lake the darker it is on the bottom the harder it gets too see

I just invested in a camera this year and had various results of picture quality depending on depth and the amount of sun/cloud etc.
Obviously with more light available , you will get a crisper picture and even further view distance on your screen.
So, after drilling the hole that the camera and cable would situated , I clear as much snow away as I can.
Then, I drill a couple more holes around the area in order to let in more light. Also clearing the snow out from around these extra holes.
Results of this is a pretty clear picture even on overcast days with little sun. My Camera is a Marcum brand.

Anyways,,try it and see what results you can get.
Trevor

Offline fishn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:08 PM »
good idea for bringing in more light, ill have to try it.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I just invested in a camera this year and had various results of picture quality depending on depth and the amount of sun/cloud etc.
Obviously with more light available , you will get a crisper picture and even further view distance on your screen.
So, after drilling the hole that the camera and cable would situated , I clear as much snow away as I can.
Then, I drill a couple more holes around the area in order to let in more light. Also clearing the snow out from around these extra holes.
Results of this is a pretty clear picture even on overcast days with little sun. My Camera is a Marcum brand.

Anyways,,try it and see what results you can get.

I'am with Dragon on this one.  If you are out with kids, a camera is probably the best investment that I have made for my outdoor ed program and science classes...that and a portable shack.  The kids get a real kick out of being able to watch the fish below the ice and with a little prep and shoveling, the picture is pretty clear.  They also hook up the video camera and take videos back to class to use in projects and presentations.

The debate will always rage about camera v.s flasher, but you have to look at where you will be using it and how you plan on fishing.  They are both great tools in their own right.  I would say that if your goal is "Run and Gun" style fishing...go with the flasher, but if you plan on "camping" on an area with a couple kids for an afternoon of fun fishing, the camera is great for when the action is slow.

Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Buy a marcum camera! That way you can see the whole underworld

Offline teamwild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Seems thought $275 for a brand new camera is a good deal

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Seems thought $275 for a brand new camera is a good deal

I bought the Aqua-Vu last year, took it out once, and plunked it beside a cheaper Cabelas model.

The cabelas lasted in up to 50 ft in Pasqua lake before it was too dark

The Aqua-Vu lasted about 15 ft, no matter what the settings were.

I would seriously consider the Cabelas one, its cheaper and better as far as I am concerned. I bought one a few weeks ago at this price - taxes, duty, shipping, broker fee, all included was $136. It takes quite some time to arrive, however, so if you want it ASAP you might have to go to the Aqua-Vu or a Marcum, which is considerably more expensive.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Underwater-Cameras|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104664780/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-Underwater-Camera-150-5534-Monitor/735115.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-underwater-cameras%2F_%2FN-1100509%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104664780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104735880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat104664780

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:47 PM »
I so agree with silvah! im still not sure about the new LCD line that Cabelas put out, i bought the 7" without the motorized camera for around $300 its fine till about 25ft then u need to turn on the lights which i do think spook the fish no matter what. That's with moderate snow cover on the the lakes i fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.